Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-05-2016, 08:52 PM   #1
captainjpc

Drives: Scion FRS
Carbon Ceramics a Necessity?

Hey guys do you think the carbon ceramics are a must to make the car the best track beast it can be? Maybe they should be optional since they increase the price so much, in certain cars like porsches and BMWs they can be an 8000$ option. I think those breaks are great but should be an option and not standard because they hike up the price. Then the base price can be around 65k so people wont be able to say:"oh 75k too much its just a camaro".

Lemme know your thoughts am I the only one who thinks this?
captainjpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:18 PM   #2
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
They are necessary. It is a Track car, not a I want one so make it as cheap as possible car.

It will be the best equiped race car GM has made. You cannot donthat cutting corners because you think some people wont like the price.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:55 PM   #3
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
^Yes. It has to be the best Camaro for the track GM can design and build. Also take away some of these track bells and whistles it then becomes a 1LE (which is a great car at a more attainable price).
I'll go so far as to say not only standard CCB's but also optional CF wheels. After all it is the Halo Camaro.

Last edited by 2cnd chance; 04-06-2016 at 12:34 PM.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:12 AM   #4
Memphis

Drives: Bucket
No. If you are going to be building the ultimate track Camaro then put really good brake set up with steel rotors on it, a lot of hardcore track guys (from Ferraris and Porsches to ZR1s) convert to steel anyway so just knock off some $$$$ from the price. Carbon wheels while cool aren't something you are going to want to track with so I say go to an 18" wheel vs a 19" CF and enjoy a slighter heavier wheel at a much lower price.
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:53 AM   #5
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
I think they should be an option. a lot of people buying this car (and the past Z/28 for that matter) never see a track. but for those that plan to use it for that, they should have that option.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:12 AM   #6
oakaro68

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
make it an option. it can still be 'the best' camaro halo track car blah blah blah. what will make this car is a high hp/high revving engine, close ratio trans, 3.91 gears, racing suspension, and fat tires. just because it doesn't have carbon ceramic brakes doesn't mean it's not worthy of wearing a Z/28 badge. who cares if not every Z/28 owner tracks their car, what if you want to buy a piece of history in the making? 1st gen camaros don't have carbon brakes...doesn't mean they are any less special.
oakaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #7
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
I think it should be optional. Maybe a carbon option with CF wheels.

Z/28 Carbon sounds good to me.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:31 AM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjpc View Post
Hey guys do you think the carbon ceramics are a must to make the car the best track beast it can be? Maybe they should be optional since they increase the price so much, in certain cars like porsches and BMWs they can be an 8000$ option. I think those breaks are great but should be an option and not standard because they hike up the price. Then the base price can be around 65k so people wont be able to say:"oh 75k too much its just a camaro".

Not only do they dissipate heat extraordinarily well...but the disks are significantly lighter, and reduce the rolling mass of the wheel/tire/hub assembly. Believe it or not, there's an acceleration benefit, there, too.

On a car with literally one purposes in life: Track duty...standard equipment is cheaper for everyone.

But you have a point on affecting sticker shock.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #9
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Ask the Z/28 guys over on Camaro 5 who track their car all the time what brakes they use.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #10

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjpc View Post

Anyone who gripes about a 75K Camaro would probably gripe about and not buy a 65K Camaro either.

Looking at an 8K option for Porsche and BMW is not the same price bump for a standard Camaro item. The more top of the line items that can come standard, the lower the price will be for everybody.

I suggest no options for the Z/28. Just build it out of the box to the max. That will keep the price the lowest. If any looky-loos complain about the price, too bad. Let them build one themselves and see what it costs.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #11
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
No. If you are going to be building the ultimate track Camaro then put really good brake set up with steel rotors on it, a lot of hardcore track guys (from Ferraris and Porsches to ZR1s) convert to steel anyway so just knock off some $$$$ from the price. Carbon wheels while cool aren't something you are going to want to track with so I say go to an 18" wheel vs a 19" CF and enjoy a slighter heavier wheel at a much lower price.
I track my Z/28 on a regular basis and have a number of friends that do as well. I am not aware of any that had CC on their car and swapped them out for steel. CC's are EXACTLY what you want to track your car with so I am not sure of your perspective here but CC are the standard for hard core track guys. On the wheels, there is a myriad of opinions on that but I have never heard anyone saying they downgraded their track car to steel rotors from ceramics but there may be a few out there.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #12
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Anyone who gripes about a 75K Camaro would probably gripe about and not buy a 65K Camaro either.

Looking at an 8K option for Porsche and BMW is not the same price bump for a standard Camaro item. The more top of the line items that can come standard, the lower the price will be for everybody.

I suggest no options for the Z/28. Just build it out of the box to the max. That will keep the price the lowest. If any looky-loos complain about the price, too bad. Let them build one themselves and see what it costs.
Amen!! Hallelujah!!
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #13
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
I understand, but it's not the point, GM wants to sell and market this car as being better than the competition in the same class or even above. This means they need the magazines (and their own numbers to reflect this) they are not as concerned about how well it performs on the 20th lap. And as mentioned it's not only the braking ability of the CCB's it is the reduced rolling/unsprung weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakaro68 View Post
make it an option. it can still be 'the best' camaro halo track car blah blah blah. what will make this car is a high hp/high revving engine, close ratio trans, 3.91 gears, racing suspension, and fat tires. just because it doesn't have carbon ceramic brakes doesn't mean it's not worthy of wearing a Z/28 badge. who cares if not every Z/28 owner tracks their car, what if you want to buy a piece of history in the making? 1st gen camaros don't have carbon brakes...doesn't mean they are any less special.
1Gen Z/28's were some of the first to have 4 wheel disc brakes. JL8 order code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Ask the Z/28 guys over on Camaro 5 who track their car all the time what brakes they use.
See the above comments.

In the end if you want to see the Z/28 have the best track performance...it ain't gonna be cheap! then again it is the king of Camaros.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #14
Memphis

Drives: Bucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
I track my Z/28 on a regular basis and have a number of friends that do as well. I am not aware of any that had CC on their car and swapped them out for steel. CC's are EXACTLY what you want to track your car with so I am not sure of your perspective here but CC are the standard for hard core track guys. On the wheels, there is a myriad of opinions on that but I have never heard anyone saying they downgraded their track car to steel rotors from ceramics but there may be a few out there.
Feel free to have a search on Rennlist, Fchat, etc. You'll see it isn't uncommon at all.
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote