#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #127
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis13RS View Post
What if GM is building two models of the z28? For example, the Gt350 and Gt350 R. The z28 without the high wing could be the competitor for the normal gt350 and the z28 with the high wing is the competitor for the Gt350 R. I know people will say the 1le is the competitor for the gt350 but I feel like the 1le is aimed more towards the Mustang GT PP where as the Normal SS competes with the normal GT.
That's a possibility. I'm thinking they took the wing off for the street cars. If they had the wing on, the camo padding over the wing would have covered up nearly all of the rear window. Not exactly safe and I doubt they will be driving fast enough on the street for the wing to actually have an effect.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:30 AM   #128
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
The 1LE is going to compete directly with the GT350 and the ZL1 will compete with the GT350R. The Z/28 will/should be in a class above those.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:53 AM   #129
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Can we buy those body bras?
Would really help with the road salt and stone chips.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:59 AM   #130
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthleSSchevy View Post
LT1-LS7 Performance specs aside; I for one fully support GM's decision welcoming back a proper Big Block into the Camaro. Would be nice if it was offered throughout the line. 1SS LS7 anyone?
LS7 is a Small Block.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:15 AM   #131
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
but theres only a small block if there is a big block. lol
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:16 AM   #132
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
The LTx is an evolution of the original small block, which is why it's called a small block.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:33 PM   #133
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
but theres only a small block if there is a big block. lol
They still build BB's.

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...572-720-r.html
Old 04-13-2016, 09:09 PM   #134
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
I'd like to see a version of a de-stroked LT1, but as said before, there very well could be the possibility of a "Hot Cam" engine like in years past where the LT-1 went to LT-4 for 96 Grand Sport (ad about 100 4th gen Camaros) and also the LS1 to LS6 of Z06, which even that was upgraded again after the first year. Maybe an LT2? Believe that was only unofficially used on the '69/'70 Vette, was really more about drag racing though.
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/4-8l-cr...pm-ls-stroker/
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:39 PM   #135
GrimReaperSS

I do believe I read somewhere on here that they saw/read an interview where Mr. O stated they were looking back to the first gen Z/28 and what made it special. That vehicle did have its own specific engine (DZ302), not shared with any other platform. Cross Ram intake optional. JL8 four wheel disc brakes optional. ZL2 Cowl induction hood optional in '69. D80 rear spoiler was also optional. NC8 Chambered exhaust optional. Headers shipped in the trunk and dealer installed. Don't know exactly how these things would translate to today's car other than he may have been eluding to a model specific engine? Maybe....
Maybe optional Carbon Fiber hood and spoiler? I don't know what the NPP exhaust weighs, but that muffler is huge and I don't see it making production for a light weight racer. Maybe it offsets front end weight and they like the sound adjustability though? Personnaly I don't need the "gadgetry" of the NPP and would just order my car with the Performance Parts mufflers. Finally found a YouTube clip, I really like the sound.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:18 AM   #136
blessedhellride

Drives: 2014 Z/28; 2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Shot in the dark as far as the engine goes. Who knows, maybe we will see the 5.5 c7r engine trickle down in some amalgamation. I could see a 10 speed automatic taking hold of this car and focusing it specifically of dethroning the gt3 and clicking off superfast shifts unmatched by the PDK. IMHO it seems like the C5 Z/28 was a low volume study to test how well it would sell in its current configuration. Truly an amazing car, but its really tough to see a few still sitting on lots not moving at 53.3 brand new. I wouldn't be surprised if the car becomes more street compliant and has some trick technology like mechanically adjustable spoiler and airbrake like the Mclaren. The Camaro continue to be elevated in performance and style and there is a willing demographic out there. I hope they really can leverage their knowledge and allow for the new gen Z/28 to be more suitable for daily commuting. Just my two cents.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:04 PM   #137
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedhellride View Post
...I could see a 10 speed automatic taking hold of this car and focusing it specifically of dethroning the gt3 and clicking off superfast shifts unmatched by the PDK...
Matching the PDK on manually-selected shifts would only be possible with a dual clutch unit, of which GM currently doesn't offer. They say that the 8L90 transmission is as fast as the PDK, but I am doubtful. At the end of the day it's still a traditional automatic unit.

Using a conventional automatic makes sense for the Corvette's and some automatic Camaro's as you gain some smoothness over a DCT, but you sacrifice the immediacy of manually-selected shifts.

The PDK truly is an incredible transmission, and I hope in the near future GM can come up with their own DCT to match other manufacturers. Manual transmissions are great and almost everyone is going to prefer them, DCT's are faster and make for faster lap times on track.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:46 PM   #138
GrimReaperSS

I'm not an automatic kind of guy, but how much faster do you guys want these Automatics/DCT to shift? Porsche apparently claims 200 milliseconds. Corvette claims 8 hundredths of a sec faster in the eight speed and listening to those ZL1's rip around the track with the new 10 speed sounded to shift pretty damn quick to me. As long as there is no real noticeable lag like you'd find in a Miata or RX-8, who cares which style or brand shifts hundreths of a millisecond faster? Also, part of the reasoning for non DCT in Vette was packaging size and being able to handle 650 lbs of tq. The eight speed is rated to handle essentially 740 ft-lbs. What are the capabilities of the new ten speed? Honestly I wouldn't purchase an automatic Z/28 myself, but I wouldn't be surprised to find it a new Gen 6 Z. I know the car isn't about volume, but how many cutomers are they leaving out of the picture w/o it? Essentially all the "exotic" car lines that have dedicated track vehicles and are serious about the fastest numbers/times possible have all gone to auto/DCT etc. So why not follow suite, let the customer decide if they want more involvement of the manual or the faster #'s. I personally would rather lose a tick or two in time to feel more part of the car.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:50 PM   #139
GrimReaperSS

Also, the dealer I work for has the Porsche line. I have to say, when the new GT3's come in for set-up/service, that DCT makes it sound like the driver doesn't know how to drive a manual trans/let the clutch out. Just trying to move them around the shop, they wind up so much before they start moving, kinda actually awkward trying to maneuver them in a shop environment, which I would say you could also translate to parking lot environments as well. You don't get that with the 8 speed auto.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:42 AM   #140
blessedhellride

Drives: 2014 Z/28; 2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReaperSS View Post
I'm not an automatic kind of guy, but how much faster do you guys want these Automatics/DCT to shift? Porsche apparently claims 200 milliseconds. Corvette claims 8 hundredths of a sec faster in the eight speed and listening to those ZL1's rip around the track with the new 10 speed sounded to shift pretty damn quick to me. As long as there is no real noticeable lag like you'd find in a Miata or RX-8, who cares which style or brand shifts hundreths of a millisecond faster? Also, part of the reasoning for non DCT in Vette was packaging size and being able to handle 650 lbs of tq. The eight speed is rated to handle essentially 740 ft-lbs. What are the capabilities of the new ten speed? Honestly I wouldn't purchase an automatic Z/28 myself, but I wouldn't be surprised to find it a new Gen 6 Z. I know the car isn't about volume, but how many cutomers are they leaving out of the picture w/o it? Essentially all the "exotic" car lines that have dedicated track vehicles and are serious about the fastest numbers/times possible have all gone to auto/DCT etc. So why not follow suite, let the customer decide if they want more involvement of the manual or the faster #'s. I personally would rather lose a tick or two in time to feel more part of the car.
agreed, secondly I think the programming is getting to a point where the shift are faster without the having the drivetrain and longevity issues of a dct