Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 09-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
LS3 Handler
I love the LS3

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS Manual
Oil Analysis V6 LFX

I just sent my oil off to Blackstone Labs to have it analyzed. The oil was Mobil 1 5w-30 Synthetic for High Mileage engines at 15k on the ODO. So far I ran the OE oil until 5k on the ODO then changed for Mobil 1 5w-30 Synthetic and a K&N oil filter which brand I am still using. I then ran that until 10k on the ODO and changed the oil and filter to the oil I had analyzed at 15k on the ODO. I changed to the High Mileage oil because Mobil 1 claimed it had better protection for high heat and oil consumption than there normal synthetic. I am now currently using Amsoil 0w-30 Signature Series which they claim is good for 25k normal service and 15k severe service I will test at 20k miles on the ODO to see how it is holding up. According to Blackstone the engine looks good. Also Blackstone stated that the filtration looked good but the viscosity was a little low for the Mobil 1. ( I cant figure out how to make it show up so just click the attachment its in PDF)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf CAMARO-081713.pdf (18.8 KB, 150 views)
LS3 Handler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
How about the oil filter? I use Mobil 1 still change it out about 5K, along with a new filter. never had to add oil in that 5K inteval.
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
LS3 Handler
I love the LS3

I changed the filter everytime I changed the oil, I used K&N brand filter and I have not had to add any oil, and I have only found a small amount of oil in the catch can. I changed the oil and filter at 5k, 10k and 15k miles on my car or every 5k miles. Since I am now using the Amsoil Signature Series and they claim 15k miles on severe service oil change intervals and 25k on normal service, I am going to test the oil every 5k miles instead of change it to make sure that the oil is still lubricating like it should. So when the oil tests bad or when I hit the recommended change interval I will change it. I will also continue to change the filter at 5k miles because the oil is long life but the filter is not and I can't expect the oil to last as long as they claim if it doesn't get filtered like it should.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Aren't the Blackstone oil analysis's like $25 a pop, or you getting bulk discount?

Thanks for dong all the hard work analysis, it does prove that oils can go a whole lot further than most everyone here thinks.

I was a firm 3k change person until I saw my neighbor across the street with a brand new Ford Focus 4 banger engine refuse to change the oil, just add oil after being a quart or more down, which was 25% or more of all the oil in that little engine. It was a company car and he hated the job and his boss even more and he commuted 100 miles each day, the first and last 10miles in stop n go traffic and the rest on hwy which he did 80+mph as he was always running late. I moved when he had about 43k on it and last time he called me, he had to give the car back for another one, but he was above 86k when he gave it back and stated it was still running fine, no leakage, nada.

So what do we all know?
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
LS3 Handler
I love the LS3

Yea they are about 25 bucks but I am learning a lot so I wont have to sample as much later on. In this oil sample im running Amsoil Signature Series 0w-30 (this sample is at 5k miles so far) and I will until 15k miles or a bad sample comes back, the oil is rated for 25k miles but idk if I am willing to go that long. In the comments they stated that this oil had a higher viscosity than my last sample and that was 5k on Mobil 1 5w-30. I noticed the Moly and Boron were up which I researched and found that this is a good thing. I also noticed large changes in Calcium and Magnesium but found that these are common chemicals used in the oil detergents and that Calcium is better for wear on the motor so that is good. They said the oil and wear is looking good so I guess we shall see.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf CAMARO-102313.pdf (18.0 KB, 71 views)
Old 10-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
There is someone who did quite the treatise on oil filters and he stated that the cheapo ones, like the ones used at a quick change are toast after 3-4k miles. He recommends Napa Gold or even platinum if you are going to run those kind of miles.

I do agree for most people that aren't racing or driving in the city like a taxi that the mileage can go up between changes.
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
LS3 Handler
I love the LS3

I use K&N oil filters in my car and I changed it even though I didn't change the oil it self.