Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 08-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
GM warranty cover synthetic oil? Factory fill LS3

1st - Doesn't the LS3 use Mobil1 from the factory. My service advisor told me the car should use Dexos. Also I think Mobil1 is a dexos oil.

2nd - Does GM Easy-care cover synthetic oil changes? I have this coverage that will do scheduled maintenance of the car. But I'm not sure covers using synthetic oil. And my dealership says they may charge me for using it... I just feel like if I'm going to be charged extra for synthetic and the car comes with and recommends to use it, what good is that coverage?!?!
Old 08-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Yes M1 comes from the factory and is a Dexos oil.

Here is a full listing of approved GM Dexos oils that can be used on your SS:

http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrand...sedbrands.html

As for GM easy care, I would imagine it's based on the package you purchased, that's the level of oil you'll received. Remember synthetic is recommended for these cars, not required. As long as it Dexos, that's all that matters when it comes to your warranty.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
markgws6

AFAIK the warranty covers "all scheduled oil changes". So I guess since I'm doing this outside of the scheduled time (1082 miles), they will probably not cover it. (But the service labor is free since it's the first oil change.) so I will just be paying for the oil. Anyway, I'm going to read through all the small print tonight on my warranty coverage and see if I can find exactly the oil types covered. What type of oil would they use if it was not Mobil1? Has anyone else had this argument before? Am I the only one that bought this additional coverage??
Old 08-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
2nd - Does GM Easy-care cover synthetic oil changes? I have this coverage that will do scheduled maintenance of the car. But I'm not sure covers using synthetic oil. And my dealership says they may charge me for using it... I just feel like if I'm going to be charged extra for synthetic and the car comes with and recommends to use it, what good is that coverage?!?!
GM Easy Care? Never heard of it. Remember almost all of the add on crap is through the dealer, not GM. Pretty much all dealers offer something similar but different names. I was offered something similar where my dealer would give me free oil changes for the duration of the power train warranty and it was a complete ripoff. It only covered up to 5 quarts of dino oil, and can only be used once a year or once every 5k miles which ever happened first. The SS takes 8 quarts so the extra 3 I would have to pay for as for synthetic I would have to pay the price difference of $5 a quart and pay the full price for the other 3 quarts which they charged $10 a quart. Even with this "service plan" I would still have to pay $55 plus tax out of pocket if I bought it. I currently do my own oil changed for less than that.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
no gm fac warranty incl oil changes.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
It's a service package the OP bought, not a part of any warranty.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
markgws6

This is an extended warranty (So the documents say)... But yeah I'm feeling ripped off and plan to raise a stink about this with my dealer.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
Synner

Drives: cars
Thats why you don't listen to the sales/finance guy trying to upcharge you useless crap that only costs you extra money with no benefit.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
I believe he is refering to the two year 24K mile scheduled maintenance program added to the warranty, I'm not sure this includes the Camaro at this point. I do not believe Mobil-1 is factory fill on the newer models either.

http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty.html

http://terryforthepeople.com/chevy-a...nance-program/
Old 08-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
markgws6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC View Post
I believe he is refering to the two year 24K mile scheduled maintenance program added to the warranty, I'm not sure this includes the Camaro at this point. I do not believe Mobil-1 is factory fill on the newer models either.

http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty.html

http://terryforthepeople.com/chevy-a...nance-program/
The thing they sent me is called Easy Care... the coverage was included with the extended warranty I purchased 6 years or 60,000 miles (supposedly)
But thanks MMC for that info!

You better believe if they are charging me for something I can't use I'm gonna raise a stink and get it removed from my coverage.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
markgws6

I did some more research and it looks like they use ACDelco dexos1. Dexos1 oil is a synthetic blend oil: http://www.acdelco.com/parts/vehicle...tic-motor-oil/

I'd rather use Mobil 1 or some other "full synthetic". I also cannot do tire rotation since the tires in the 1LE are directional. So I definitely will be yanking this from my coverage if possible.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:21 AM   #12
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
dexos is a label GM came up with to scare owner into buying a certain brand oil. Dexos1 is not Mobile1 it is the lowest bidder semi synthetic GM can get. for a few months it might be mobil1 for a few Castrol and so on. You do not have to buy a oil that has the dexos label on it. As long as the oil meets or exceeds their spec. and most do they can not void your warranty. Any full synthetic exceeds their spec. unless your buying joe crackhead recycled oil you will be fine.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #13
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Just do yourself a favor and get Pennzoil Platinum and put that in your car. It gets much better ratings in used oil testing than Mobil 1 and keeps your engine cleaner. It is Dexos1 approved.

Several on here lately 2 of which are my friends have used Mobil 1 the entire time in the cars and at 9x,xxx miles their engines are shot with pitted rollers, gouged and chipped cams and other damage.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #14
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
dexos is a label GM came up with to scare owner into buying a certain brand oil. Dexos1 is not Mobile1 it is the lowest bidder semi synthetic GM can get. for a few months it might be mobil1 for a few Castrol and so on. You do not have to buy a oil that has the dexos label on it. As long as the oil meets or exceeds their spec. and most do they can not void your warranty. Any full synthetic exceeds their spec. unless your buying joe crackhead recycled oil you will be fine.
This post is so full of misinformation.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote