Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-04-2017, 06:34 PM   #141
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandX View Post
Let me preface this by saying, I contributed to the Challenger spiking this month, because I got rid of my 6th Gen for a 2017 Challenger Hellcat!!

Lack of sales is easy to explain....for most people, putting the performance aside, the Camaro is the least practical car of the three and at least on sticker is more expensive. Interior room is limited, which means if this is your only car, you will look at other options. As far as styling, I have never heard anyone say my 6th gen was ugly.......virtually all of the people who saw my 6th gen liked the style. Features were excellent also.

Mostly enthusiasts frequent this site and I would venture to say most of us have another daily driver. People in that position are not the ones who are going to boost Camaro sales. Chevy needs the people who want a sporty car, but also need to haul groceries, people, etc........and those people also do not care that the Camaro is .5 Second faster in the quarter. Those are the customers who drive sales and sadly even though the Camaro is a great car, the sales are just not there.

Each car as it's own strong points, it just the Camaro's, which is mostly performance, is not translating to sales.

I think the bleeding will continue into the summer.........
The probable reason why the Challenger had a sales spike last month is because of the introduction of the AWD Challenger GT. I was wondering why there was a sales spike during a winter month and it must have been for this reason.
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:45 PM   #142
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
people talk about pracitcality and the backseat, but when i see camaro's , mustang's and challenger's i either see one person driving or with one passenger. i almost never see anyone in the backseat.
I recently had to take three German colleagues to dinner in my Camaro. It's was tight but we made it.

Bottom line is that it has a back seat if I need to take people in a pinch. Otherwise I have someone else drive or I use my wife's crossover. I similarly avoided using the back seat of my 04 GTO. Two doors and power seats made it equally undesirable even though the car was bigger

By the way... My German friend was no more cramped in my SS than I am in his BMW Z4 when we go out over there. No complaints because we didn't buy our cars to be people haulers

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:19 PM   #143
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
For me its cabin size was the #1 factor for not replacing my gen5 with a Gen6 camaro last month, I got bigger and so did my family.
The #2 reason is price.
Instead, I bought a Loaded 2016 challenger R/T Plus for less then $32k.

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.

Last edited by Mikamaro; 03-04-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:55 PM   #144
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Well what's funny is GM gave the Camaro fans exactly what they wanted:

A smaller, lighter car with more power and a better interior.

The problem comes in that a lot of the people asking for the smaller/lighter portion of that didn't connect the dots where that meant less room/more cramped/less practical.

Basically the very embodiment of "be careful of what you wish for".
Yeh...and more money. If GM had kept the Gen5 price point they would be selling like hotcakes.

Last edited by Marty McFlew; 03-06-2017 at 11:57 PM. Reason: f'ed up
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:29 AM   #145
smeech

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, 2006 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I recently had to take three German colleagues to dinner in my Camaro. It's was tight but we made it.

Bottom line is that it has a back seat if I need to take people in a pinch. Otherwise I have someone else drive or I use my wife's crossover. I similarly avoided using the back seat of my 04 GTO. Two doors and power seats made it equally undesirable even though the car was bigger

By the way... My German friend was no more cramped in my SS than I am in his BMW Z4 when we go out over there. No complaints because we didn't buy our cars to be people haulers
Ah yes, the GTO backseat...More room than the Camaro for sure but only if you don't mind waiting two minutes for the seats to move forward.
smeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:10 AM   #146
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjpc View Post
The price is the issue for this gen, in Canada a 2LT with a V6 is the same price a GT premium so why get a Camaro in this case? I hope chevy lowers the cost in Canada would love an SS. A nicely equipped 1SS here is close to 50k a 2SS is close to 60k.
Yeah... Price is a factor, I paid JUST under 40,000 cdn for my 1LT RS with the 2.0T... Granted I optioned for the bose and the HD brake and cooling as well as a few cosmetic pieces... That was with about $2500 off MSRP.

Probably not many people willing to spend that kinda scratch on a 2.0... I have NO regrets though

I could see size being an issue like some have said; I'm 5'10 and 170lbs this car is a 'comfortable' fit for me without a sunroof. Someone around 6ft+ and 220lbs+ is going to find it on the snug side for sure.

The styling may not turn everyone on, but I think the car looks both sexy and aggressive at the same time, freaking gorgeous! It's only the back of the car that leaves me a little cold... Nothing a few mods won't fix mind you!

My .02 cents
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:41 AM   #147
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
I got bigger and so did my family.
Same here, but I have another car for daily driver/family duties...

The fact the new Camaro got smaller is one of the main reasons why I bought it. I had a 5th gen SS for a short time, it felt HUGE to me, so bye bye it went.

GM can't please all, and when all people seem to want now are crossovers and SUV's, they could drop the price point of the Camaro and it really wouldn't matter much. I mean Malibu, Accord, Cruze, Focus, 200, etc, etc sales are down...as are all cars.

Americans just don't want cars like the rest of the world does. It boggles my mind why a 35 year old women with one kid, who will never go off road, would want a Tahoe or similar, that gets crappy mpg's and costs $50K. I think it's a false sense of security that being higher up is safer...I don't know.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #148
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Same here, but I have another car for daily driver/family duties...

The fact the new Camaro got smaller is one of the main reasons why I bought it. I had a 5th gen SS for a short time, it felt HUGE to me, so bye bye it went.

GM can't please all, and when all people seem to want now are crossovers and SUV's, they could drop the price point of the Camaro and it really wouldn't matter much. I mean Malibu, Accord, Cruze, Focus, 200, etc, etc sales are down...as are all cars.

Americans just don't want cars like the rest of the world does. It boggles my mind why a 35 year old women with one kid, who will never go off road, would want a Tahoe or similar, that gets crappy mpg's and costs $50K. I think it's a false sense of security that being higher up is safer...I don't know.
The domestic auto makers are once again pursuing larger SUV / CUV and trucks. These are higher profit margin / higher gross profit vehicles. This is exactly the business strategy that led to the collapse of the domestic manufacturers when oil prices spiked and gas costs went to $4 a gallon. Currently, the domestic manufacturers are lobbying to roll back CAFE standards so that they can make even more, larger, less efficient vehicles.

It is staggering that a 1/2 ton pickup truck can cost ~$65K in the upscale trim. Somehow, the actual farm trucks that we grew up with (trucks that worked each day on the farm) have now become the new status symbol.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:44 PM   #149
out4lox

Drives: Blue Velvet 2SS, 8A, No Options
I've had a Charger R/T, Mustang GT, a 'Vette and 2 Z28s. Now a '16 Camaro 2SS. This new Camaro is flat out amazing, by far the best car I've ever had, and I just do not get why these superior cars don't sell better. Camaros have historically been better performers than 'Stangs, but sometimes lagged in sales to inferior competition, and I'm sure that's true today as it was in 1987 or 1998, or practically anytime. Viva Camaro.
out4lox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:42 PM   #150
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Drives: 2013 GB GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by out4lox View Post
Camaros have historically been better performers than 'Stangs, but sometimes lagged in sales to inferior competition, and I'm sure that's true today as it was in 1987 or 1998, or practically anytime. Viva Camaro.
like 2003-2009? There wasn't much Vivaing going on then. Just saying there is a price to pay for building the best performing car that few people want to own.
FastCarFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #151
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Interesting to re-read the same sorts of commentaries each month.

Though I've noticed the page counts for each of these threads has declined a bit...

Not that it matters, but I'll throw a chip in...We all would like to see Camaro as sales King but for no other reason that bragging rights. Even me, and I won't deny that. 2009-2015 were great for reading about the pounding that both the other cars were taking in sales.

However, as far as I'm concerned...I just want to see Camaro sustain itself as a production model, enough to warrant spending development money on a new generation, and special performance variants. I don't see the books...so I don't know if they are making money or not. If they are not - you can bet they will be rebooting something or another to change that. If they are....then all of the conversation in this thread is purely academic.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #152
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
Yeah... Price is a factor, I paid JUST under 40,000 cdn for my 1LT RS with the 2.0T... Granted I optioned for the bose and the HD brake and cooling as well as a few cosmetic pieces... That was with about $2500 off MSRP.

Probably not many people willing to spend that kinda scratch on a 2.0... I have NO regrets though

I could see size being an issue like some have said; I'm 5'10 and 170lbs this car is a 'comfortable' fit for me without a sunroof. Someone around 6ft+ and 220lbs+ is going to find it on the snug side for sure.

The styling may not turn everyone on, but I think the car looks both sexy and aggressive at the same time, freaking gorgeous! It's only the back of the car that leaves me a little cold... Nothing a few mods won't fix mind you!

My .02 cents
I got my 1SS for $33.6k optioned with magniride, black rims and dual mode exhaust and manual trans. Sure I negotiated...but I read Trump's..Art of the Deal.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #153
gdgraph

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
In addition to bragging rights, I'd also like to see sales increase so that the demand for our cars go up so that it's worth more when we decide to sell and get the next gen! I feel like the 6th gen was too much better than the 5th gen, I feel bad for anyone that bought a brand new 2015 SS, because they lost a lot of money when the '16s came out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Interesting to re-read the same sorts of commentaries each month.

Though I've noticed the page counts for each of these threads has declined a bit...

Not that it matters, but I'll throw a chip in...We all would like to see Camaro as sales King but for no other reason that bragging rights. Even me, and I won't deny that. 2009-2015 were great for reading about the pounding that both the other cars were taking in sales.

However, as far as I'm concerned...I just want to see Camaro sustain itself as a production model, enough to warrant spending development money on a new generation, and special performance variants. I don't see the books...so I don't know if they are making money or not. If they are not - you can bet they will be rebooting something or another to change that. If they are....then all of the conversation in this thread is purely academic.

gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:32 AM   #154
maraging

Drives: 15 1ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgraph View Post
In addition to bragging rights, I'd also like to see sales increase so that the demand for our cars go up so that it's worth more when we decide to sell and get the next gen! I feel like the 6th gen was too much better than the 5th gen, I feel bad for anyone that bought a brand new 2015 SS, because they lost a lot of money when the '16s came out!
A 16 owner feeling sorry for a 15 owner losing money.. classic lol
maraging is offline   Reply With Quote