Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-22-2015, 03:57 PM   #15
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
I am 64 and have been driving manual trans cars and trucks a very long time . I find the trans in my 1LE to be very easy to drive . Even to the novice should be no problem. What I do recommend is to take it easy until you get the hang of it . And change the trans fluid ASAP to Redline D4 .
Old 07-22-2015, 04:19 PM   #16
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Coming from a WS6 that I drove for over 10 years, the 1LE is very different to drive that the Pontiac was, but I would not call it hard. The main difference for me with this car from all other stick shift cars I have driven is the catch point of the clutch is higher off the floor than I was used too. Once I got used to it, it is a breeze. Since this is your first manual experience, I don't think you will have any problems unique problems other than learning to drive a manual transmission.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:32 PM   #17
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
This is my first manual too and I found it easy. I have learned to drive a stick over the years in friend's cars so it just took practice to feel out how far down the clutch and gas need to be to shift. I live in Florida so roads are flat which I think is helpful. It also took me a few months before I was comfortable enough to track the car.

Once I got my confidence with everyday driving I started practicing the heel toe down shift at stop lights, now I'm heel-toe shifting at the track pretty well.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #18
Ippon14

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet 2ssRs1Le
I drove a 2ss before I got my 1le and I couldn't believe the difference and how much easier the 1le was to drive. I started driving manuals 30 years ago and think this is one of the easiest I ever driven.
Ippon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #19
joshxjosh

Drives: Black 2014 2SS 1LE
i was 18 when I bought the car and I had never driven a manual car before, only ridden dirtbikes all my life and I drove the car off the lot, it's not hard. I stalled at every light but the next day I had it
Old 07-22-2015, 10:06 PM   #20
Kellen

Drives: '16 Summit White 2SS
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I live on 3/4 mile long gravel road, so I'm going to need to wash my car pretty often. My local car wash has unlimited monthly car wash payments. It is a very nice quality car wash, only using clean water and equipment, still I will probably manually wash my car.. What is the reason the auto wash is bad for your car? Is it because of the hood decal on the 1le?
Kellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:42 AM   #21
Electric

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellen View Post

I live on 3/4 mile long gravel road, so I'm going to need to wash my car pretty often. My local car wash has unlimited monthly car wash payments. It is a very nice quality car wash, only using clean water and equipment, still I will probably manually wash my car.. What is the reason the auto wash is bad for your car? Is it because of the hood decal on the 1le?
1LE wheels don't fit. I think there were a couple posts here where people uploaded pictures of their scratched up rims.
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:12 AM   #22
gajagfan

Quote:

Many will debate the use of automated car washes, but I think you have a bigger problem. The Goodyears that come on the 1LE are stone throwing monsters. When you first come off of the asphalt and onto the gravel, it is going to be a nightmare, and most likely vice versa. You will need to put some form of splash guard / paint protectant on the car right away or you will have no paint left on the bottom part of your car.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:42 AM   #23
Kellen

Drives: '16 Summit White 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Many will debate the use of automated car washes, but I think you have a bigger problem. The Goodyears that come on the 1LE are stone throwing monsters. When you first come off of the asphalt and onto the gravel, it is going to be a nightmare, and most likely vice versa. You will need to put some form of splash guard / paint protectant on the car right away or you will have no paint left on the bottom part of your car.
Yeah I have heard a lot about getting a rock/splash guard for these, that's the one thing I will for sure do!

I will also probably get more of an all year weather tire before winter comes.. Here in Missouri we have no idea what is going to come!
Kellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:17 AM   #24
gajagfan

Quote:
Yeah I have heard a lot about getting a rock/splash guard for these, that's the one thing I will for sure do!

I will also probably get more of an all year weather tire before winter comes.. Here in Missouri we have no idea what is going to come!
I grew up in Illinois and remember how winter can be. I do not miss it! Love living in the south!
Old 07-23-2015, 02:27 PM   #25
xXSicSicSicXx

Drives: 14 1LE
Just get used to the high catching clutch.. I'm assuming that's where most people get this "new car clutch smell" from when they expect it to catch sooner than it does.
xXSicSicSicXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:50 PM   #26
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Quote:

I live on 3/4 mile long gravel road...
Get splash guards so you do not tear up the side paint. I hear the 1LE tires pick up everything.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:46 PM   #27
Vjc834

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
The clutch is different than most cars. Took a little getting used to but every car is different. You'll be fine.
Vjc834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:23 AM   #28
RB913

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
You'll love this car and IMHO I think it's easy to drive. Practice early in the morning when traffic is lighter. At some point, you might consider getting the skip shift eliminator for it. I have a built '97 TA with a 6-speed and my 1LE is easier to drive. I also have (don't laugh until you check the specs) a 2015 Buick Verano Turbo with a 6-speed manual. And a Harley. The Buick doesn't have a short throw shift so it's easy to drive, just different. I'm not a fan of the hillside assist either as I've driven manuals most of my life, like many others here. Riding a motorcycle is probably harder because you're on two wheels using both hands and both feet. Just don't be afraid to drive it and downshift using your gears to slow you down. Good choice Kellen and good luck.
RB913 is offline   Reply With Quote