Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #141
J.L.TYCHE
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2011 Corvette
Look at the 1/4 mi V6 thread,with bolt ons 9 out of 10 are autos only 1 manual at #6. The manual may have more rear wheel HP but the auto has better 1/4 times ( bone stock,bolt on's and FI )
J.L.TYCHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #142
BlackVelvet

Drives: an absolute dream.
I'm a control freak so I went with the manual.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #143
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
Manual all the way for me. Manual cons: no remote start from the factory. Don't respond as well to FI and N2O. 500.00 will remedy the remote start though. Pros: full control of the car, LSD, more RWHP than auto.

Auto cons: Can't rev past 4k. L99's are that way too. Maybe the tune fixes that buzzkill. Wouldn't know. No LSD and more parasitic loss. Pros:The auto does a groovy little blip when downshifting in manual mode, responds better to nitrous and FI. Can more easily text and talk on your phone and eat in your car.....I kid.
Wonder where you got this info from?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #144
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.L.TYCHE View Post
Look at the 1/4 mi V6 thread,with bolt ons 9 out of 10 are autos only 1 manual at #6. The manual may have more rear wheel HP but the auto has better 1/4 times ( bone stock,bolt on's and FI )
I am the #6 on the list and did it without the aid of 30-40* temps. 55* was the best I could do and it was close to 7pm. I'm not putting down what they were able to accomplish or anything, but if you're looking at the table and making that judgement you need to look at it all. My track closed down for the year just at temps were dropping to where it would make for good times.
The clutch setup in our car is also a piss-poor excuse and if a clutch does ever get produced mine will have one. My clutch is good for 2 or 3 runs and then starts slipping/stinking.
One other thing I ran into is I dropped the diameter of the drag radials to the point where I have a choice of either bumping the rev-limiter or shifting to 4th just before the end. Both have shown negative effects, but I'm working at getting that fixed before the fall.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:35 AM   #145
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Wonder where you got this info from?
With manuals you have to rebuild boost everytime you shift whereas with an auto the boost stays more constant. N2O is much easier to use with an auto than a stick. I guess that's what I mean. Or really, I guess what i mean is you really need to know how to drive if you want to get the same result as an auto. With an auto you just press it and go. It never misses a shift theres not a whole lot of coordination involved once ur under way.The engine itself doesn't respond better, an auto just helps exploit FI easier. Does that work?

Another pro for manuals. Does way better burnouts than both the stock L99 and LLT auto.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.

Last edited by SIXJAK; 07-08-2011 at 12:45 AM.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:41 AM   #146
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
I am the #6 on the list and did it without the aid of 30-40* temps. 55* was the best I could do and it was close to 7pm. I'm not putting down what they were able to accomplish or anything, but if you're looking at the table and making that judgement you need to look at it all. My track closed down for the year just at temps were dropping to where it would make for good times.
The clutch setup in our car is also a piss-poor excuse and if a clutch does ever get produced mine will have one. My clutch is good for 2 or 3 runs and then starts slipping/stinking.
One other thing I ran into is I dropped the diameter of the drag radials to the point where I have a choice of either bumping the rev-limiter or shifting to 4th just before the end. Both have shown negative effects, but I'm working at getting that fixed before the fall.
You are definitely right about the clutch. It's always in the back of my head whenever I run it hard. I will certainly be on the lookout for options in that dept.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #147
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
Stick Shift with Posi-traction rear end.
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #148
Tigwelder

Drives: 2011 1LT Black with Orange stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
The main con the auto V6'ers bitch about is that there no Limited Slip Differential

That's the only con I see, the V6 Camaro is a marvel
The v-6 Camaro does have the limited slip diff.,read the car specs,mine has it, and every other LS or LT I've seen has it.Everyone assumes the v-6 has an open rear ...it does not!
Tigwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #149
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
The automatic v6 has an open differential...

At least in the 2010 models. Don't think that has changed.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #150
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgebunny View Post
I wanted a manual but I drive 400 miles a week so I went with the auto... Every once in awhile I'm like I shoulda got that manual till i'm sitting in stand still traffic. lol. Gonna tune the tranny though and stiffen it up a little to give this auto a little more bang.
At a stand still, I put it in neutral and just use the brakes like an auto... in stop and go, it keeps me awake having to shift!
FL1CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #151
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
The automatic v6 has an open differential...

At least in the 2010 models. Don't think that has changed.
FL1CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #152
dahulk

Drives: '11 RS SYNERGY GREEN, 09 Corvette
Send a message via Yahoo to dahulk
auto for me. I have a 6-speed in the vett, but as the camaro is my daily driver in Dallas traffic, I welcome the auto..
Old 07-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #153
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
In a sports car manual is for drivers, auto in a Camaro why? Takes all the fun and technical driving out of the equation.
Try this in an automatic, rev her up to 5.5k RPM and shift gears, cruise in 4th. or 5th., drop her into 3rd. and watch the front end of the vehicle jump up in the air while the vehicle goes absolutely insane while it's sreaming down the road.
Oh, I forgot, you can't do that in an auto.
There's your pros / cons.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #154
Untouchable Keeve

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
In a sports car manual is for drivers, auto in a Camaro why? Takes all the fun and technical driving out of the equation.
Try this in an automatic, rev her up to 5.5k RPM and shift gears, cruise in 4th. or 5th., drop her into 3rd. and watch the front end of the vehicle jump up in the air while the vehicle goes absolutely insane while it's sreaming down the road.
Oh, I forgot, you can't do that in an auto.
There's your pros / cons.
Actually, everything you mentioned, except for revving to 5500 and launching we can do w/ tapshift...
Untouchable Keeve is offline   Reply With Quote