Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 04-25-2024, 06:57 PM   #85
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Sorry your car was stolen but these are industry standard technologies. The Camaro has had them since 2016. Suddenly the Camaro is easy to steal? Also you will need to prove this is how your Camaro was stolen and unless you got it back this would be nearly impossible to determine.

But the article had the lawyers info in LA I believe.
As someone who’s had the experience of having THREE cars stolen in my family (my Mom’s 1985 Regal in both 1986 and 88 - yes it was recovered, repaired, and stolen again - and Grandfather’s 1985 Eldorado in ‘93), I’d ask you to just stay out of this conversation.

Your GM bias is getting ridiculous now. Bordering on annoying. I’m trying my best to be as nice as I can, please take the hint.

Even if what you have to say is true, your position that GM can never do anything wrong with anything is really getting old.

The thing about lawsuits is that the help explore all possibilities and can influence needed change, even across the industry. Theres no harm in exploring the security of Camaros and if it’s an industry standard then it can only help consumers for all car companies. If it’s an industry standard maybe the standards need to change.

Why are some cars easier to steal than others? Kia certainly wasn’t following g “industry standard”. How do we know for sure GM does? Specifically on the Camaro?

It’s absolutely worth exploring.

Just don’t dismiss people who’ve experienced a theft with your bias. Not here.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie

Last edited by olrocker; 04-25-2024 at 07:09 PM.
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 07:44 PM   #86
NovaSS4spdFan

Drives: 2024 2SS vert w/M6 & Dual Mode. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
Did you need to be a contortionist to actually unlock the thing?
Good one, haha.

After awhile, I came up with a simple way to enter the key. Small dab of red paint on the key to match a red paint dab on the lock cylinder. That helped a lot.
With the advent of airbag , it was over.
NovaSS4spdFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 08:45 PM   #87
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Anyone have this OBD2 lock? I saw it in another thread. I'm interested because it's metal but site says no guarantee it works with other vehicles besides Ram trucks. But an OBD2 port is an OBD2 port, right?

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...ories-interior
Just bought one of these, thanks for the link!
Old 04-25-2024, 09:16 PM   #88
discgolf01

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Convertible M6
Here's my question: The Camaro's FOB/antenna/electrical/communication system design is common to probably 90+% of GM's cars & trucks that were designed and released around the same time. GM does not design an electrical architecture specific to each vehicle. So whether it's discussing how the FOB and car talk to each other or the ability of a thief the flash things through the OBDII port - why only Camaros and why now at the end of its lifecycle?
discgolf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 09:31 PM   #89
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolf01 View Post
Here's my question: The Camaro's FOB/antenna/electrical/communication system design is common to probably 90+% of GM's cars & trucks that were designed and released around the same time. GM does not design an electrical architecture specific to each vehicle. So whether it's discussing how the FOB and car talk to each other or the ability of a thief the flash things through the OBDII port - why only Camaros and why now at the end of its lifecycle?
I would say they don't make V8 Camaro's anymore and the how too steal them social media with readily cheap availability on the internet of the OBD Key Fob Programmer DIY Plug and Pair, underground illegal car meet take overs, shortage of police enforcement, and regular organized crime to have teens steal them for a few grand for parts or oversea resell.
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 09:32 PM   #90
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
As someone who’s had the experience of having THREE cars stolen in my family (my Mom’s 1985 Regal in both 1986 and 88 - yes it was recovered, repaired, and stolen again - and Grandfather’s 1985 Eldorado in ‘93), I’d ask you to just stay out of this conversation.

Your GM bias is getting ridiculous now. Bordering on annoying. I’m trying my best to be as nice as I can, please take the hint.

Even if what you have to say is true, your position that GM can never do anything wrong with anything is really getting old.

The thing about lawsuits is that the help explore all possibilities and can influence needed change, even across the industry. Theres no harm in exploring the security of Camaros and if it’s an industry standard then it can only help consumers for all car companies. If it’s an industry standard maybe the standards need to change.

Why are some cars easier to steal than others? Kia certainly wasn’t following g “industry standard”. How do we know for sure GM does? Specifically on the Camaro?

Well said.

While the Camaro hasn't changed since 2016, the technology (hardware and knowledge) that thieves have available to them to exploit weaknesses in the Camaro (and maybe other vehicles) indeed has; When you can easily buy on Amazon an OBD programmer to make a vehicle specific digital fob using nothing but a car's OBD port, it's time for manufacturers to change their vehicle security protocols. I'm assuming the lawsuit will seek to answer the questions of:
1) Whether GM should have been able to know at any point during the 2016-2024 production run that their OBD security protocols were inadequate and left the vehicle at reasonably high risk of being stolen.
2) Whether GM should be obligated to offer owners a software security patch to prevent theft via OBD
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 09:39 PM   #91
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
This is not GM's first rodeo either. WIRED had a Sept 10, 2015 story.
GM Took 5 years to fix a Full-Takeover Hack in Millions of OnStar Cars.
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 11:24 AM   #92
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post

There is no GM bias, trust me. I have more reasons to dislike GM than anyone on this site. What I am pointing out on GM FAN SITE, are the facts of the case.

Also are you suggesting you have to have had a car stolen to participate in the discussion? Or is having had worked on theft resistance in the industry enough? I have btw participated in break in prevention, which for reference has been a much bigger concern in Europe rather than the US.

I don’t disagree one bit that there should be a change and I believe GM’s Global B architecture likely addresses this, or I hope so. But GM will be motivated by 2 things, $ and or an FMVSS Standard. To a lesser extent IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) but this is to help with injury losses to insurance carriers, sadly not your or my theft losses.

But again, looking at the data, new cars aren’t even in the top 10 list and the highest thefts are vehicles built in mid 2000s. You can actually correlate quite well on what is stolen the most based on production volume and need for spare parts. It’s why the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry are always high on theses lists.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:26 PM   #93
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
No reason for anyone to blame GM for this issue. Dodge has a key reprogram issue that doesn't even require OBD access. Other cars can be stolen by kids with a TikTok account. At least ours is fairly sophisticated regarding the tools needed.

The better question is what modern cars cannot be stolen with OBD access to reprogram?

The 6th gen is valuable in that it's parts are valuable. There is a market for those parts. Plain and simple. 6th Gen theft numbers aren't changing the overall stats.

"According to Martin Insurance Agency, on average, 2,052 cars are stolen every day in the United States. In 2023, 1,020,729 vehicles were reported stolen, which is a 1% increase from 2022. California had the highest number of stolen vehicles in 2023 with 208,668, followed by Texas with 115,013 and Florida with 46,213. The District of Columbia had the highest theft rate in 2023 at 1,149.71 thefts per 100,000 people, which is more than three times the national rate."

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 04:30 PM   #94
Texas1ss

Drives: 2016 Black 1SS, M6, NPP, Mag Ride
Quote:
Originally Posted by havelegs View Post
How do I participate in this lawsuit as my car was stolen using low quality methods?
I was thinking the same thing. For anybody interested, I pulled the actual class action complaint filed in the case in the USDC in California.

Heck of a long read, but it's interesting nonetheless.

https://www.classaction.org/media/ch...rs-company.pdf

And the Kazerouni Law Group is no joke, and neither is this lawsuit for anybody trying to pull blame away from GM and thinking this is nonsense. Far from it.

I actually called them to talk one-on-one with one of their attorneys about this, but it goes to voice mail. I'll try again and update anybody on what I find out.

Also, the number is wrong on the complaint. Their actual number for anybody interested is 949-612-9999. You can verify that number on Google and at the Kazerouni Law Group, APC's website.
Texas1ss is offline   Reply With Quote