Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-18-2015, 10:50 AM   #1
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
6th Gen ZL1...my thoughts

So after watching all the 6th Gen Camaro hype from GM and the C6 site I've been think about the 6th Gen ZL1....

First off there is no confirmation GM will make a 6th Gen ZL1. My bet is that they what 1-2 years to see if the 6th Gen sales justifies making a ZL1 again.

I think with the options of Mag ride and Brembo's is makes the 1LE option of the 5th Gen obsolete. The SS are also to have standard aux transmission and diff coolers as well.

Aside from the mag ride and S/C where do they go? I mean the newer platform is lighter so it will post better track times. I get that. But will it be reliable? Only time will tell with the Z06/Z07.

But...this lighter platform also means you lose some of the bullet proof drivetrain we now have. The current ZL1 can track, drag race and be a comfortable daily cruiser...

Funny they didn't say anything about the 6th Gen being able to handle a launch control feature.

The LT4 S/C 650hp in the stingray is great but they are having problems with overheating and I'm not sure the drivetrain is as robust as our current ZL1's. The LSA motor is rock solid and very reliable. And with a simple pulley and header mods we can match that HP rating and then some with our current tried and tested platform. Seems most modded ZL1's can get up to 700rwhp fairly easy and still be reliable.

Now I do like that you can get the Rev Match feature of the 6th Gen manuals. That would be a great feature to have. The interior updates are cool but I think the new interior starts to look too busy after a while. The light show is nice but it's just that...a show.

The 8spd auto would be an awesome option. Can't go wrong there. I still prefer to row my own gears but I'm sure having a 8spd auto will appeal to the masses.

All in all I think the current 5th Gen ZL1 owners should feel very blessed and lucky to own such a great piece of automotive engineering greatness. I truly feel the 5th Gen ZL1's will go down as one of the greatest Camaros ever built by GM.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:43 AM   #2
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
First, be prepared for this thread to get moved to the Camaro6 section.

At a glance, it does seem the 1LE is set to go away, but It's hard to say how the new line up for the hi perf models will shape up. I'm almost certain one of the three models (1LE, ZL1, Z/28) will be gone.

Just to speculate and using the C7 line up as a reference, the 1LE would continue as an SS option, (similar to the Z51) the ZL1 would become the new top of the line model combining features from the existing ZL1 and Z/28 and now include a hard core track option for the road racers (similar to the C7 ZO7 option) to appease all fans. Pure speculation on my part here.

- You're right only time will tell on reliability, but consider they have the benefit of learning from the Corvette teams real world experience.

- I have to believe they won't skimp on beefing up the drivetrain as needed. You know they will torture test them just like they did for the current versions.

- I think we will see an even more advanced version of launch control. Only time will tell.

- The overheating on the C7 ZO6 is directly related to the restrictions of platform itself. They had to go with the 1.7 blower because of the low hood line and the cooling capacity is reduced because of the aerodynamics. If you read the article from Hot Rod, they specifically mention how much better the cooling is on the 6th gen Camaro. I expect this to carry over on the SC version, who know we may see a larger SC (doubt it, but you never know).

- I like the new interior and can't wait to drive the new car. As for the lights, the interior lighting on the 5th gen stinks imo and I don't mind some nice ambient lighting.

- I love my car but it's not perfect. I would expect GM to improve the breed and take it to the next level to give us something to aspire to.

Last edited by DrkPhx; 05-18-2015 at 11:53 AM.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
1ZL4FUN

Drives: Red Beast X2
I agree. It is very doubtful it will be much better, if at all, and if so just a few minor features like push button start, etc. Definitely no reason to jump ship. The 5th gen ZL1 is tried and true and of lasting quality so I intend to keep mine. It is a great car and will always be a great car that does so many things well.

(sold then stolen) 2015 Red ZL1 M6 VIN: G1FL1EP5F9800197

FOR SALE 1995 Patriot Red 95Z28 M6 Project car. Less than 100k miles. 95 corvette motor. All good parts, too much to list. Just needs someone to put it together.

(sold) 2002 CHP camaro B4C

(sold) White 95Z A4 best 11.891 @ 114.269 boltons & weight reduction. Yes, it was a record. 11/13/02
1ZL4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:33 PM   #4
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
While I have not seen the 6th Gen in person, I'm definitely not a hater. I had hoped for more of a styling change but it's not ugly by a long shot.

I am hoping they build a ZL1 on the platform with at least 600 HP; 635 or more would be even better.

I would have to drive it though to be sure. I'm really concerned about the visibility issue. I hate the visibility out of my 5th Gen and wouldn't want it be worse but from what I've seen of the pics, the door windows look even a small bit narrower. The visibility is better out of the C7!

But a 6th Gen ZL1 would be great.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:35 PM   #5
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
I'm really hoping GM surprises us with a hp number north of 675...which should be easily attainable with the LT4 and a bigger blower, while keeping reliability. I don't think they'll top the hellcat number, but they need to top the old GT500 at least. Im sure they have the 1/4 mile times as a benchmark. Here's to hoping...
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #6
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Chevy will compete with Dodge and Ford and put out a high performance supercharged model out (maybe '17) - who knows if they stay with the ZL1 nameplate or make it the new Z/28. Look for it to mirror the tech specs as the 2016 CTS-V already announced but probably tuned with a little more HP/TQ to keep the GM HP Food Chain intact - as the Corvette High Performance model will always be at the top, then the High Performance Camaro right behind it, then Caddy.

http://www.cadillac.com/v-series/2016-cts-v-sedan.html
cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:06 PM   #7
Mishaman68

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Opinions are like...well you know...so just my take.
Like buying a house, when I buy a car it's something that has to put a smile on my face each time I see it.
Gen 6 doesn't give me that feeling. My 2013 ZL1 has that retro look, it looks beastly and like American muscle should.
Just my opinion but regardless of what they put under the hood etc I cant get past the plain Jane look./
I'll be happily sticking with my girl.
Mishaman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
RandysZL1

Drives: 2013 Zl1 black
Dang if the windows get any smaller the whole car would be a blind spot.
RandysZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:24 PM   #9
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandysZL1 View Post
Dang if the windows get any smaller the whole car would be a blind spot.
They say the visibility is supposed to be beter.

I think the SS is going to shock the rest of the car world on the road course. They have some good chassis and suspension engineers at GM these days.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:28 PM   #10
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I'll keep my ZL1 long term and mod it well beyond the Hellcat or whatever comes. I love the look, its strong and capable of running with anything. I'll get a well optioned gen6 SS for a daily driver. Best of both.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:32 PM   #11
Dutchman427

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1329 M6
I have no intentions of getting rid of my ZL1. It is big, but the platform is built to handle the abuse. Plus, I am a big fan of the first gen Camaros. Even know it is useless, I still like the center gauge pack. Anyways, I think the new Camaro has a European look to it which I am definitely not into, but I know GM is trying to appeal to the masses.
2012 Camaro ZL1 #1329 M6 Summit White
Built by Mike @ Rapid Motorsports
784rwhp 757 rwtq on 93 Octane ET - 10.97 @ 128
Heads-Blower-Snout-TB ported & prepared by Jeremy Formato of FasterProms
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395950

Rapid Motorsports 396ci Build
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...1#post10321301
10.832 @ 130.99
Dutchman427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:37 PM   #12
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
My 2 cents..

The 1LE will continue. You did not see Recaro's or track pack mentioned with the SS.

The ZL1 will continue, with the above features and a supercharged engine along with (I hope) the 7speed manual transmission.

The Z/28 I see not making the transition. The LS7 is getting long in the tooth, and the price point does not do it any favors as you are competing with stock StingRay Z06 prices.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #13
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
7 speed is just a gimmick unless they redo it to be a performance tranny with shorter gears, other wise it just gives you a 80mph cruise gear.

They will throw the LT4 in, some carbon brakes, etc and sell an uprated model.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #14
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
My 2 cents..

The 1LE will continue. You did not see Recaro's or track pack mentioned with the SS.

The ZL1 will continue, with the above features and a supercharged engine along with (I hope) the 7speed manual transmission.

The Z/28 I see not making the transition. The LS7 is getting long in the tooth, and the price point does not do it any favors as you are competing with stock StingRay Z06 prices.
Really important to note all three of these RPO's were never consistently offered every year of production.. all three could continue, one, or none.Chevy is famous for bringing back famous RPO's from it's heritage- it could be one we haven't seen for awhile that incorporates performance( how bout a gen 6 L88?) LS7 is not long in the tooth, it's teeth were all pulled due to CAFE and new emissions standards- never see a big cube again. JMO.
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote