Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #85
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
My 2005 Gto was 3725. Everyone said it was overweight.

Hmmm
10 years of federal safety requirements, added amenities and a much stiffer chassis. The new Camaro is much more car.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:14 PM   #86
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
And as I've mentioned, the ATS Coupe has a much smaller fuel tank than the current Gen5 at 19 gallons. I think it's 15 in the ATS coupe. That 4 gallons is 25 pounds of the weight reduction. Book it, Dano!!!!
Old 05-21-2015, 07:15 PM   #87
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
10 years of federal safety requirements, added amenities and a much stiffer chassis. The new Camaro is much more car.
Bingo.

Go take a ride in a really hot Fox, like with a 331 or 347 stroker. Yeah its lighter than a popcorn fart, it's also rattling, creaky and unstable.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:22 PM   #88
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
My 2005 Gto was 3725. Everyone said it was overweight.

Hmmm
Coming from ~3400 lb f-body at the time it was
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:53 PM   #89
obzidian

Drives: 98 camaro turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Coming from ~3400 lb f-body at the time it was
Yeup..... 3700lbs back then is like 4200lbs right now.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:59 PM   #90
Big reg

Drives: Infiniti FX50S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
I owned a 2005 GTO as well. Great car and wish I had kept it.
I've owned 2. 1 was a H/C/I Forged LS2 car, the other was a turbocharged one with a Turbonetics GTK1000. I have a soft spot them and they are pretty rare.
Big reg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #91
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
The weight savings that GM has advertised so far in their press release states that body-in-white savings are 133lbs, use of aluminum for the instrument panel frame saved 9.2lbs and use of aluminum in the suspension dropped another 26lbs.
Quick math says that's 168.2lbs.

These weight losses are intrinsic to the Alpha based 6th Gen vs. 5th Gen across the board regardless of model or trim.

This would seem to be the basis of why GM is claiming 200lbs weight loss model to model as they have stated.
It appears weight reduction was a major priority. I highly doubt Chevy will disappoint.
Quote:
...The Alpha platform is also more mass-efficient, resulting in a body shell that’s 136 pounds lighter than the previous generation while being 28 percent more structurally rigid. A solid foundation allows engineers to focus suspension geometry on maximizing handling without compensating for chassis flex. We asked what the Camaro team was shooting for on the sixth-generation: “The dynamics of the [fifth-generation] car evolved to be pretty damn good,” Link said...
...front control arms and links are aluminum, while a new five-link rear suspension uses steel links with lightening holes. Overall suspension weight was reduced by 26 pounds, which helped add up to more than 200 pounds of weight savings overall compared to a 2015 fifth-gen car.

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/features/1505-...#ixzz3apHJ6NmJ
Follow us: @HotRodMagazine on Twitter | HotRodMag on Facebook

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:22 PM   #92
ULTRAZLS1

The main reason it is so hard to believe for a lot of the other crowd is because ford couldn't do it. A stick in the eye is better than giving props to GM engineering.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:33 PM   #93
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
The weight savings that GM has advertised so far in their press release states that body-in-white savings are 133lbs, use of aluminum for the instrument panel frame saved 9.2lbs and use of aluminum in the suspension dropped another 26lbs.
Quick math says that's 168.2lbs.

These weight losses are intrinsic to the Alpha based 6th Gen vs. 5th Gen across the board regardless of model or trim.

This would seem to be the basis of why GM is claiming 200lbs weight loss model to model as they have stated.
Well, you can't really use the quick math method. They tell us about these parts where they save weight as examples, but it's not the entire picture. These are just some basic parts that they know everyone knows about and can talk about.

For example, if I recall correctly from it's release, the LT1 engine actually weighs about 40lbs more than the LS3, at least as fitted in the Corvette. But keep in mind, there are a lot of parts that they don't mention at reveals, because, well many would be bored to tears. These parts would include things like drivetrain. Is the drive shaft one piece or two? Is it lighter as a result of the change? What about clutch and the manual trans in this car? Or for the 8 spd, I think they said it was actually lighter and smaller than the 6 spd auto in the Vette, is that true here as well?

Point is, and I'm about as far from being an engineer as one could be, that there are so many parts and pieces to this puzzle, that just going by what the marketing dept puts out is only a very small part of the big picture.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:16 AM   #94
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
I am expecting a 3,600-3,700 range, that is where a 2-door in this day and age should be.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:35 PM   #95
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Well, you can't really use the quick math method. They tell us about these parts where they save weight as examples, but it's not the entire picture. These are just some basic parts that they know everyone knows about and can talk about.
It is difficult to sift through the engineering meets marketing edited chatter for the press release. But the key words and points made are in regards to total vehicle mass; platform vs. platform, model for model. To be clear I'm not saying the BIW and other components GM has mentioned as being lighter from 5th to 6th Gen is the whole story but more of a support for the underlying claim from GM that this Camaro is 200lbs lighter.

As I have mentioned the press release for the C7 and subsequent Z06 only spoke of component weight savings or use of lightweight carbon fiber materials but didn't go far as to comment on total vehicle mass and in many cases skirted the issue entirely until much closer to production. That's the difference here and if the President of GMNA is talking like this then the Camaro team must be very confident in they can back this up. Because they have turned the mass savings of the 6th Gen into a main marketing highlight of the Camaro introduction.
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:04 PM   #96
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
I am very curious how all this will pan out. How much lbs will each car lose? T4, V6 and the LT1. Looks like the T4 will be pretty light. Also which car will get the composite suspension pieces, maybe all of them will.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:08 PM   #97
RobWH

Drives: Silverado
I'll be happily surprised if the Camaro SS makes is down to 3,695 in base form. I think expecting 3,600 or less is pie in the sky at best. There are just too many government forces against automakers today for a good car to weigh so little and be this big and powerful. Yes, any manufacturer could do it, bar none. . . for a price. A big price.

My concern isn't just 1 thing, it's many. If Camaro is going to be under, say, 3,675. . . how much will it cost? I'm beginning to suspect the SS could be that light, but that it's also going to have a base MSRP of $36,000 or more. For me, that's not just pushing it. I'd be tempted to buy the V6 and wait till the warranty ends, then swap the engine(maybe w/ an LS). 3,650 lb?

PS Can we ignore the damn Mustang crowd for about 10 seconds? It's really getting old to read so many comments about what we think Mustang guys think about the next Camaro. Here's an idea: Who cares.
RobWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:36 PM   #98
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWH View Post
I'll be happily surprised if the Camaro SS makes is down to 3,695 in base form. I think expecting 3,600 or less is pie in the sky at best. There are just too many government forces against automakers today for a good car to weigh so little and be this big and powerful. Yes, any manufacturer could do it, bar none. . . for a price. A big price.

My concern isn't just 1 thing, it's many. If Camaro is going to be under, say, 3,675. . . how much will it cost? I'm beginning to suspect the SS could be that light, but that it's also going to have a base MSRP of $36,000 or more. For me, that's not just pushing it. I'd be tempted to buy the V6 and wait till the warranty ends, then swap the engine(maybe w/ an LS). 3,650 lb?

PS Can we ignore the damn Mustang crowd for about 10 seconds? It's really getting old to read so many comments about what we think Mustang guys think about the next Camaro. Here's an idea: Who cares.
I agree.

I think they are really trying to get that magical number 6 on the base 1ss. Even 3699 looks a lot more impressive at a glance than anything 37xx. To expect much more weight loss than to around 3675 for base 1ss is getting unrealistic. If by some miracle it happens I would be floored/ ridiculously impressed.

I really hope gm isn't dumb enough to overprice the car. They have also been stating a lot that the camaro should be affordable and true to its roots. A base 1ss at 36k is pushing it. I'm hoping for 35. Though I'll likely go 2ss this time. Im more worried that one could be pricey...especially after mrc that I'll have to get lol