Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
You Won't
Nothin wrong with dreamin

Drives: Camaro SS
Caliper Covers

Does anyone here use the mgp caliper covers? Has anyone even heard of them? They are a bit pricey but seem like a good alternative to having to deal with painting the actual calipers. They can be completely customized and paint matched to your vehicle. However, that greatly increases the price. Just curious on opinions or experiences. I have also seen some abs covers as well for a lot less but I am not too big on the idea of having to put a lot of silicone or something like that on my original calipers to hold them on. At least with the mgp it can be attached with a clip and locknut with no modifications needed.
You Won't is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Dont bother, I bought them, they would not fit properly and I sent them back. Just got my calipers back from being powder coated. Definitely worth the money.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
PEW-PROFESSIONAL

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 2SS
Why do covers, whats the point other than trying fake you have a brake upgrade. I could never understand why people would want to "COVER" the brake cal and lock more heat in it. OH well. Good luck on your journey.
PEW-PROFESSIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #4
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
I have the covers and I love them. I know they are expensive but I really like the look of them. As far as rainbow1616's figment issue, this is the first I've heard of it. I also installed a set on a neighbors mustang and I really think it spices it up. In all actuality, I would love to upgrade my pads and rotors just so I can keep the covers I like them so much. I have gotten compliments on them. However I did have one guy at a car wash talk about my car and I had "fake brembos". Oh well I don't have approval of one guy I saw at a car wash once. I've seen worse things people have done to their cars.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
fussboss

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEW-PROFESSIONAL View Post
Why do covers, whats the point other than trying fake you have a brake upgrade. I could never understand why people would want to "COVER" the brake cal and lock more heat in it. OH well. Good luck on your journey.
Unless you have brembos they are fugly. I may upgrade to brembos in the future but for now it is not in the list of things I am thinking about.

I get lots of compliments on them, and I like how they look so there ya go, plus they keep my wheels super clean. And keeping the brakes hot? I am not on the track, nor do I drive like I am, so they work for me.

compared to...

I even had MGP put them on for me, I really could have done it myself but thought it would be cool to go check out the factory (I was right, it was cool). We did not even have to take the wheels off lol.

fussboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #6
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Drives: Black 2013 2LS
Caliper covers are a love or hate item. Kinda like v6 vs v8, both have upsides and downsides. Upsides to covers is , unless you have quality brakes such as brembos and such, they cover up that ugly brake. Yes, I said ugly. They are soooo puny. The covers have a less chance of showing dirt and they are smooth so it's easier to clean them and the dust and grime doesn't get in the corners.
Upsides to paint, well you can please those purist who like to show off their calipers, but it isn't as visible as covers.
I have had no fitment issues what so ever. I personally love them. I have friends with painted calipers and they complain a lot about dirty brakes.
If you are willing to get a brake upgrade you should, in the meantime I would say get the covers. I got yellow ones and they look pretty good in fact. Being a bright color they do get a lot of attention, "+" from the color combo and "-"from not actually being a brake that you can see that does anything.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #7
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
My 2SS/RS has Brembos, but I still like the cover's look. I didn't think they were expensive at all (???). They are a bit of a pain to install (fit) and I still need to adjust one of them. I put them on a few weeks ago but have not driven the car since. Maybe this weekend? I'm not too worried about dust build up or over heating - have only put about 200 miles on her in the 4 or 5 months I've had the car. If it were a daily driver, maybe it would be a different consideration.

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:38 PM   #8
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Drives: Black 2013 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
My 2SS/RS has Brembos, but I still like the cover's look. I didn't think they were expensive at all (???). They are a bit of a pain to install (fit) and I still need to adjust one of them. I put them on a few weeks ago but have not driven the car since. Maybe this weekend? I'm not too worried about dust build up or over heating - have only put about 200 miles on her in the 4 or 5 months I've had the car. If it were a daily driver, maybe it would be a different consideration.

Whoa buddy, caliper covers on Brembos? Now, IMO that's taking it too far. But hey, it's your car and up to your par! It's not that pricey, but when you get to color matching your car and such it gets up to $400 )-;
Old 10-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #9
You Won't

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEW-PROFESSIONAL View Post
I have a 2SS/RS with Brembos on it. The calipers just look faded and don't really stand out. More of an eyesore to me. Like I said, just looking for a good alternative to paint because, as someone else has mentioned as well, a lot of people I have spoken with were not real happy with the painted ones after it was said and done. The website claims that the covers actually reduce heat. I am not real convinced on that one. They show the temps but when they check the side with the calipers they only check it at the cover and not the actual caliper. I would be curious to see what that temp is. I can, however, see how it could reduce the amount of break dust on the wheels. Thank you all for your comments and feedback.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:38 PM   #10
You Won't

Quote:

I don't really consider the regular covers that expensive. I was talking more about the custom ones I guess. The covers are 200, color match is 100, then lettering is 140, and then if you don't want silver or black letting it is another 20. It can add up quick. Just like everything else we do to our cars.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:33 AM   #11
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by You Won't View Post
I don't really consider the regular covers that expensive. I was talking more about the custom ones I guess. The covers are 200, color match is 100, then lettering is 140, and then if you don't want silver or black letting it is another 20. It can add up quick. Just like everything else we do to our cars.

I bought a set of ebay a year or so ago. Got them for $190 -200 I believe. Most of the sets I've seen have either the bow tie and RS or SS. I wanted my whole set to say RS. I will admit, I could do without the fake bolts lol. A lot of people that hear how much they are get turned off bc of the price. "I could paint my calipers for a lot less than that!" My answer is yeah, but based off the fact of how much work is involved in doing so, plus the fact that you will have to redo them at some point, maybe more than once. And I have to agree with the post above about the SS brembos looking faded. Of all the colors, why would they choose gray?
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #12
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Get them powder coated. Covers on brembos suck and if your lucky they might fit right.
For what your paying sounds like powder coating is cheaper. You can be color matched and have any logo you want for 350. EOS
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #13
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by You Won't View Post

Where are you ordering from? I paid under $200 brand new for mine... color matched to the car... black lettering/bolts.
I think they look far better than the stock Brembo shell. Then again, I'm different... I don't name my car "Sally" or "Reddy," or "Cherry." LOL - We're all different. Mine's named CAMARO.

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #14
You Won't

Quote:
Where are you ordering from? I paid under $200 brand new for mine... color matched to the car... black lettering/bolts.
I think they look far better than the stock Brembo shell. Then again, I'm different... I don't name my car "Sally" or "Reddy," or "Cherry." LOL - We're all different. Mine's named CAMARO.

I saw them on the MGP site and CARID. Don't feel bad, I don't name my car either and I am "different" as well.