Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #1
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
EFI Tuning adjusted my TQ Tables. Holy crap.

Just wanted to say thanks to EFI Tuning for popping his tune into my car this weekend. What a night and day difference in how the car drives. There is still some tweaking that needs to be done due to the differences in our tq curves but just the initial adjustments are amazing. The car actually feels like it should now. Crisp, firm and responsive.

The largest difference is the shift feel and the shift speed under power. No more big lag or having to anticipate the manual shifts by a couple hundred rpm. Bang the selector and it is there. Same thing with the Auto shifts. Having the correct trans pressures to support your power and having them modeled correctly is priceless in my book. Adjusting these tables has greatly increased my throttle response as well. The car always just felt like a Honda until you smashed the throttle. Now when you give it some gas it responds. There is no better feeling than a responsive motor.

Since this car is up almost 100/100rw from stock I can only hope that I didn't cause any damage to the transmission with applying this extra power and not having the proper line pressures. It is something I had not considered till now. Now that I have a better understanding of how the entire system works the tq tables are a must in my book.

I am going to continue to adjust the timing and fuel curves to match my exact set up and then ask Tim to be kind and finish out my tq tables. I can't wait to get this all dialed in.

Thanks again Bro.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Great info.

So with Tims tuning the paddles are more responsive? I hardly use them but it would be cool if they worked better.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #3
PRAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Great info.

So with Tims tuning the paddles are more responsive? I hardly use them but it would be cool if they worked better.
I never touch those things. They suck. I just bump the shifter. It takes me back to the 90's. The shifter is much more consistent.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #4
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Tim called me last week with a "Update" to the tune with his revised torque tables on my M6. Holy shit, the car RIPS . The car was fast before but I seriously feel like the car gained another 20-30 HP from the ass dyno. Makes the car much better to drive slow as well.

Im really happy with my EFI-Tuning Tune on my m6.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #5
PRAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3 View Post
Tim called me last week with a "Update" to the tune with his revised torque tables on my M6. Holy shit, the car RIPS . The car was fast before but I seriously feel like the car gained another 20-30 HP from the ass dyno. Makes the car much better to drive slow as well.

Im really happy with my EFI-Tuning Tune on my m6.
Glad to see it works on both transmissions. The difference is truly amazing.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #6
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
with traction control off car needs to be pointed straight to use wot anywhere in 2nd, not sure if wot can be used at all in 1st gear... crazy fun. If the car is not straight, say for a transition during some back road action, um things get "fun" when I approach wot.

My kid's Type R was down for a new clutch (dad I just drive to school and work dunno what went wrong with the feramic- cutch that has like 3000 miles on it). He drove the Camaro to the school dance, came back and said you drive that thing everyday??? LOL nuts the car is absolutely insane. I renamed the traction control switch to "full stupid mode"
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 02-13-2017 at 11:22 AM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
EFI Tuning

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Thanks guys! I have some minor updates for you guys. Nothing dramatic but I did a little more tweaking last night. PRAY let me know when you have a HPT cable in your hands. I will use your car to tweak out the ported IM/TB tune. LOL

I will try not to get too deep here but unlike ECMs from the past everything about the E92 is based on driver demand torque and engine torque output. Your right foot is the beginning of the process. When you apply more pedal you are demanding more axle torque. The ECM takes this request and does a lot of complex math and verification to determine how much torque all of the systems (transmission, traction control, etc) will allow. The final value will then be converted into a throttle position value. The ECM is constantly comparing desired vs actual parameters when it comes to torque. When things start to get out of alignment (ie. actual engine torque ouput is 100 ft lbs greater than stock) things don't work as perfectly as they should. On a N/A car it will compensate reasonable well and not create too many issues. On a FI car it is a train wreck. I tuned a Z06 this weekend for use with E85 and until you get everything back in alignment it will limit the throttle during WOT. Aside from WOT the car did not drive well due to part throttle transient response being off.

Long story short... a "PROPER" tune is more than just getting on a non-load chassis dyno and doing some WOT runs. VVE and VTQ must be addressed on this ECM for your car to drive well. MAF only or SD only will not suffice and will lead to bad results. Virtual TQ is a very new capability for the tuners right now and only a handful of guys seem to be diving in to it. It is the key to this ECM.

Tim
EFI Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #8
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Are these the torque tables in the PCM or the TCM?

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #9
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI Tuning View Post
T
Long story short... a "PROPER" tune is more than just getting on a non-load chassis dyno and d......
Tim

......long story short the car is insane specially on E85......
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #10
EFI Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
......long story short the car is insane specially on E85......
I'll update yours too
Old 02-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #11
EFI Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
Are these the torque tables in the PCM or the TCM?

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk
ECM
Old 02-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #12
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY View Post
Just wanted to say thanks to EFI Tuning for popping his tune into my car this weekend. What a night and day difference in how the car drives. There is still some tweaking that needs to be done due to the differences in our tq curves but just the initial adjustments are amazing. The car actually feels like it should now. Crisp, firm and responsive.

The largest difference is the shift feel and the shift speed under power. No more big lag or having to anticipate the manual shifts by a couple hundred rpm. Bang the selector and it is there. Same thing with the Auto shifts. Having the correct trans pressures to support your power and having them modeled correctly is priceless in my book. Adjusting these tables has greatly increased my throttle response as well. The car always just felt like a Honda until you smashed the throttle. Now when you give it some gas it responds. There is no better feeling than a responsive motor.

Since this car is up almost 100/100rw from stock I can only hope that I didn't cause any damage to the transmission with applying this extra power and not having the proper line pressures. It is something I had not considered till now. Now that I have a better understanding of how the entire system works the tq tables are a must in my book.

I am going to continue to adjust the timing and fuel curves to match my exact set up and then ask Tim to be kind and finish out my tq tables. I can't wait to get this all dialed in.

Thanks again Bro.
Interesting

So increasing the line pressure is the same as it was in the old days when you would take out a check ball and drill a larger hole in the valve body for a firmer positive shift ?

Are you concerned about any traction issues when you couple this with removing the torque management at the track ?

Tim; Will your EFI tune come with a street and a strip tune(s) or just one for all occasions ?

All mouth-watering stuff right here.....C'mon spring !!!!
Old 02-13-2017, 12:01 PM   #13
EFI Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
Interesting

So increasing the line pressure is the same as it was in the old days when you would take out a check ball and drill a larger hole in the valve body for a firmer positive shift ?

Are you concerned about any traction issues when you couple this with removing the torque management at the track ?

Tim; Will your EFI tune come with a street and a strip tune(s) or just one for all occasions ?

All mouth-watering stuff right here.....C'mon spring !!!!
Having the proper torque reported to the TCM allows the TCM and transmission to behave the way GM intended. All decisions are based around the torque reported by the ECM to the TCM. I have not touched any pressure tables at all. There is very little need to touch the TCM directly.

I can supply different versions to address torque management in the TCM for such situations. If you have HPT or nGauge you can load them at will.

Tim
Old 02-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #14
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI Tuning View Post
I'll update yours too
Like I need any more help trying to keep the thing straight

so I tried some 0-60 today, I can usually do a 3.8 to 4.1 pretty consistent. After 5 tries, each time smoking them either in 1st or second my best was 4.6 and worst 5.1 LOL too much HP, I gotta trade the car in for the turbo 4....