Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-22-2015, 07:14 PM   #1
jp84dex

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
Unhappy I regret buying my camaro!!! :(

Hi guys this is my first post on the camaro5 forum but i've been checking the forums lots since i bought my car last March (2014)

I've always had a vehicle with a manual trans (original from england. we learn to drive standard). I won't go over my car history but the last vehicle I had was a 6spd and my wife would always complain that she couldn't drive it as she doesn't know/doesn't want to learn how to drive a stick.

I decided to take my car and trade it in on something different. I was walking around the lot at the dealership and came across a 2012 Camaro 2LT RS V6 automatic. took it for a drive and really liked it. Automatic... wife can drive it. still fast and sporty looking I can still enjoy it.

Well the wife isn't a fan as she feels its too big. isn't comfortable with the blind spots and can park it if her life depended on it (I love my wife honest!):off topic:

anyway.... to my point

I kinda settled with the camaro I bought. I love the colour. it has the black stripes on it from factory and its the RS model with the 20" rims HUD leather etc. so I really like that. What I regret is getting the automatic. My wife won't drive it anyway so might as well have stuck with the manual. the paddles are OKish but not even close to the real thing.

I think the V6 has plenty of power... LOTS in fact. It makes me smile when I put my foot flat on the floor but the thing that irks me is when I'm at the car wash and some guy in his 4banger S**t box comes over and says "hey man thats a sweet car. Is that the V6 or the V8?" i reply "its the V6" and he will say "oh"

I love lots of things about my car but I also have some regrets. I took a V8 out for a drive not to long ago (manual) and OMG I loved it. The sound, the power EVERYTHING it ruined me. lol.

I'm still happy with my v6 I'm just not content. People say "well trade it in!" problem is I'll take a $5k hit if I trade it in right now so i have to wait until the money owed balances out with the value. hoping that will be by next summer!

My point is this...

Never settle. I bought a V6 because thats all the dealership (not GM dealer) i bought it from had at the time. I live in a small town with a long drive to another city that has more options to pick up a V8. If I could go back I would wait and buy the V8 in manual.

People say "oh well you get better gas milage" I drive like i stole my car at times so gas milage is crap for me anyway lol.

The question I put out there to others is this....

Do you have any regrets with your purchase? Do you own a V8 and wish you bought the V6?

Sorry for such a long post ha!
jp84dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:18 PM   #2
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
There is a whole list of v6 guys trading for v8s. Enjoy your car....don't let others opinions bother you.
Bought a v8 because that's what I wanted in a camaro......no regrets when you get what you want.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:21 PM   #3
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
29 out of 30 days I am happy with my purchase. 1 day a month I wish there were 2 more cylinders. but not enough to make me do that 800km weekly commute with it.
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:23 PM   #4
TheSmokingSuns

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, 2011 Camaro 2LT
No regrets here. It's my daily driver and still get looks everyday for the past 4 years I've had it!
TheSmokingSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:26 PM   #5
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmokingSuns View Post
No regrets here. It's my daily driver and still get looks everyday for the past 4 years I've had it!
Yup. Ive watched people drive thru red lights that had just changed as they were moving past me and turned back to look at the front end..
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #6
Quicksilver-SS

Drives: 2014 1SS / RS M6
I will say this.. A few years ago I was forced into a situation. I won't go into details. I had to trade my 03 AWD Silverado SS due to work commute. I got my 1st 4 banger, a 2008 Saturn Sky with low miles for a 4 year old garage queen. I test drove a Redline with the turbo but I didn't like the condition and color. I chose the low mileage, nicer car over the more powerful car. I never regretted my decision but always knew that a more powerful version of my car was available.
Now, that being said, I would love to have a ZL1 or Z28 over my SS but I know that I can't afford it. I don't regret my purchase. These are very nice cars, no matter which version you choose. Enjoy your car and move up when the time is right.
Quicksilver-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:32 PM   #7
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
A V6/V8 debate and an auto/manual debate in the same thread.

I feel a better connection to the car with my manual trans; an automatic can't predictively shift, and shifting is part of the mental game of driving for me--because I believe driving is a craft, and not a chore. I see no value in paying for the optional cost of an automatic.

I bought my V6 knowing much faster cars exist, and having owned and driven some of them--they're great. But they don't make sense for me to own on a daily basis; no; I put about 30k miles/year on vehicles right now so the fuel savings, insurance, and tire costs start to add up quickly. The cheapest SS was at least $12k more than my V6, so I saved that as well.

I love the V6, I've made my peace with it, it's not a fast car. This is the best commuter car I've ever owned.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:34 PM   #8
cb66

Drives: 13 2SS/RS HWSE Camaro # 959
I now have a V8 a 2013 2SS HWSE Camaro its an auto but that's what I wanted I am very happy with this car however prior to buying it I had a 2012 LT .Like you said the V6 had power and I liked everything about the car but one thing it was missing was a V8.When I bought it I thought a V6 was good enough but naaaaah no matter what you do you will never make it sound like a V8 I ended up trading it in after finding my Hot Wheels Edition after it sat for almost a year after delivery on a dealerships new lot I ended up working a deal that I couldn't pass up. Always make sure you are buying what you truly want while many are happy with the V6 that is fine if that's what you want. Really that is all that matters. My daily driver is a Cruze 4cyl turbo, the best daily driver I ever owned !

Last edited by cb66; 03-22-2015 at 07:46 PM.
cb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #9
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
I do wish for the better gas mileage for my V8 which is my only regret lol but other than that no regrets one bit. Enjoy what you have and personalize it to your taste and I ensure you that you will love the car that much more. Or like you said just wait it out till next summer and upgrade if you have the available funds.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:40 PM   #10
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
uhhhhhhh wait a minute!!!!! You mean to tell me these things came with a V8 in them?!?!?!? damn it!........lol
Old 03-22-2015, 07:42 PM   #11
Mikey D

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
That's good advice. And don't let your wife make a decision on your car! I'm single though so easy for me to say.

I bought a 14 Mustang GT in Jan 2014. Didn't like it for various reasons, and soon regretted not getting a Camaro SS 1LE. Took a $4.5K hit on the trade in when I finally found one, but if you can afford it go for it. Good luck with the wife though.
Mikey D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:45 PM   #12

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp84dex View Post
Hi guys this is my first post on the camaro5 forum but i've been checking the forums lots since i bought my car last March (2014)

I've always had a vehicle with a manual trans (original from england. we learn to drive standard). I won't go over my car history but the last vehicle I had was a 6spd and my wife would always complain that she couldn't drive it as she doesn't know/doesn't want to learn how to drive a stick.

I decided to take my car and trade it in on something different. I was walking around the lot at the dealership and came across a 2012 Camaro 2LT RS V6 automatic. took it for a drive and really liked it. Automatic... wife can drive it. still fast and sporty looking I can still enjoy it.

Well the wife isn't a fan as she feels its too big. isn't comfortable with the blind spots and can park it if her life depended on it (I love my wife honest!):off topic:

anyway.... to my point

I kinda settled with the camaro I bought. I love the colour. it has the black stripes on it from factory and its the RS model with the 20" rims HUD leather etc. so I really like that. What I regret is getting the automatic. My wife won't drive it anyway so might as well have stuck with the manual. the paddles are OKish but not even close to the real thing.

I think the V6 has plenty of power... LOTS in fact. It makes me smile when I put my foot flat on the floor but the thing that irks me is when I'm at the car wash and some guy in his 4banger S**t box comes over and says "hey man thats a sweet car. Is that the V6 or the V8?" i reply "its the V6" and he will say "oh"

I love lots of things about my car but I also have some regrets. I took a V8 out for a drive not to long ago (manual) and OMG I loved it. The sound, the power EVERYTHING it ruined me. lol.

I'm still happy with my v6 I'm just not content. People say "well trade it in!" problem is I'll take a $5k hit if I trade it in right now so i have to wait until the money owed balances out with the value. hoping that will be by next summer!

My point is this...

Never settle. I bought a V6 because thats all the dealership (not GM dealer) i bought it from had at the time. I live in a small town with a long drive to another city that has more options to pick up a V8. If I could go back I would wait and buy the V8 in manual.

People say "oh well you get better gas milage" I drive like i stole my car at times so gas milage is crap for me anyway lol.

The question I put out there to others is this....

Do you have any regrets with your purchase? Do you own a V8 and wish you bought the V6?

Sorry for such a long post ha!
Really?....You've been looking at the forums for a year, and you come up with this?

Looks like a pretty good summary of most troll v-6 threads. Thanks.
90503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:47 PM   #13
trcsr

Drives: 2018 2LT/RS Conv
I have several slight regrets about my Camaro, but the overwhelming regret is due to the lack of quality from the factory. It took over a year to get most of the bugs out of it and I am still expecting another problem to show up any day. The QC factor is exaserbated by the poor quality of service from the rinky-dink dealer I bought it from. Almost every problem that I have had has taken over 3 trips to the dealer to get fixed. I had one problem that took 7 trips to get fixed and another that took 8 trips and calls to Chev Customer Service and the Chev Executive Office. At least by contacting the Exec. Office I got a loaner car from GM and they told the dealer (another dealer, not the one that I purchased the car from) to keep the car until it was fixed.
Other than that I am happy with it and am planning on keeping it for a long time. I just wished I got the mpg that others with similar cars claim they are getting.
trcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:51 PM   #14
jp84dex

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Really?....You've been looking at the forums for a year, and you come up with this?

Looks like a pretty good summary of most troll v-6 threads. Thanks.
Not a troll at all. I think the V6 is an awesome car I love my V6. I just get annoyed with the haters who rag on me for buying a "v6 muscle car" (most of which own honda civics or some other cheap 4 banger)

I'm not trying to start a troll thread I'm just bringing up a genuine thought i've been having for a while.
jp84dex is offline   Reply With Quote