Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-23-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
goinggone14

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS / RS
SS M6: Jumpy 2nd gear?

I'll preface this with the fact that I'm not a new manual transmission driver by any means:

Has anyone else had trouble with 2nd gear on the SS?

I have a 2014 1SS that I've been driving for about 2000 miles now, and I just can't seem to guarantee a smooth 2nd gear. First and reverse require a mild amount of riding the clutch, pretty typical. 3rd-6th are smooth and effortless nearly 100% of the time.

2nd gear just seems to give me a hard time more often than I would like to admit, significantly harder than 1st from a stop, which makes very little sense from a transmission/gear ratio perspective.

What rpms/mphs do you find yourselves shifting at smoothly in 2nd gear?
goinggone14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
Spektrum

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
This is my second manual trans 5th Gen. Practically all my other cars, from a Toyota Supra Turbo to even manual transmission Toyota FJ Cruiser didn't require the same clutch manipulation.

I find myself having to ease the clutch pedal out slower than you would normally expect to get that perfect shift. I understand this more when I'm riding passenger to friends/family that drive my car and are too just too quick. First and second gear just buck and jump like crazy.

With the small adjustment to my driving habits I can shift at any RPM smoothly.
Spektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
goinggone14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektrum View Post
This is my second manual trans 5th Gen. Practically all my other cars, from a Toyota Supra Turbo to even manual transmission Toyota FJ Cruiser didn't require the same clutch manipulation.

I find myself having to ease the clutch pedal out slower than you would normally expect to get that perfect shift. I understand this more when I'm riding passenger to friends/family that drive my car and are too just too quick. First and second gear just buck and jump like crazy.

With the small adjustment to my driving habits I can shift at any RPM smoothly.
Yea, I usually end up slipping more than I'd like into 2nd just to avoid looking silly to passengers (shift shock is unacceptable at my level of driving experience, maybe in my mind only ). Like you said, it requires more focus than I'm used to for 2nd gear; more-so than 1st even!

Where would you put your typical shift on mild acceleration from a stop? I'd say for me it's 1st to 2nd by about 10mph, shift @ ~ 1200RPM. If I wait a lot longer than that then skip-shift comes into play >16mph or so.

Maybe I'm taking it too low? Any thoughts on the matter would be great. On a side note, I'll 1st to 3rd for higher RPM takeoffs since it's simply smoother - or I'll just start in 2nd gear from a stop if I'm going to slip it anyway.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
I skip second a lot during normal driving around town. Usually go right to third. 2nd in these cars has triple syncros where the other gears only have two.

I do notice the same thing for me too, the clutch pedal sometimes makes it a bit hard too because of how it tends to push back a bit hard at the engagement point.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
Kopterman

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
I put my heal into the floor and use my foot as a lever. Makes shifting in any gear much smoother then fighting the spring with your foot in mid air while your moving.
Kopterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:47 PM   #6
BLTZKRG

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Damn the skip shift....have u tried changing trans fluid? Alot of guys are switching it out for Redline D4 ATF and having instant results. Prob cheapest thing to try....if not, an IdealG master cylinder, seperate clutch reservoir, and a Tick Perf. Braided line seem to be the fix.

CAGS Skip-Shift Eliminator
1LE Strut Tower Brace
GMPP Track Pack Axleback
Halltech CAI
Fuse Pull Mod
BLTZKRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
Kopterman

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTZKRG View Post
Damn the skip shift....have u tried changing trans fluid? Alot of guys are switching it out for Redline D4 ATF and having instant results. Prob cheapest thing to try....if not, an IdealG master cylinder, seperate clutch reservoir, and a Tick Perf. Braided line seem to be the fix.
I haven't changed to Redline yet but am planning to within the next 200 miles. I hear its great!
Kopterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
Destructo09

I have the Ideal G master cylinder, reservoir and royal purple fluid on mine, it did seem to help smooth up shifts.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI
Old 07-25-2014, 03:44 AM   #9
WEISHAAR37

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Why not try starting in second? I never use first unless im in a hurry, or on a hill. I just hate having to shift halfway through every intersection to avoid sounding like an A$$ at 2-3 thousand RPM. Also this was before my cam, if you are cammed this option goes out the window. food for thought
WEISHAAR37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:04 PM   #10
black79ta

Drives: 79 transam with 582cid dart motor
My .02. 1200 rpm is way too low to shift.personally I shift around 3000 or so. Even before I put in a cam. Personal preference..I like to lazily run the motor up a bit. I have noticed a little grind when speed shifting tho.

2010 Camaro (inferno orange, 2SS, RS and such)
cat backs, catch can, CAI on the way
79 Transam, 582 cid dart motor 779hp 315's out back 40spline gdaxles tko tranny
black79ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:54 AM   #11
goinggone14

Quote:
Originally Posted by black79ta View Post
My .02. 1200 rpm is way too low to shift.personally I shift around 3000 or so. Even before I put in a cam. Personal preference..I like to lazily run the motor up a bit. I have noticed a little grind when speed shifting tho.
You run 3000 rpm consistently into 2nd in typical driving? I'm not talking quick take-offs or performance situations. Just driving around town. You must get about 12 mpg

3k RPM in 1st would likely put you at about 27 mph - I'd go straight to 3rd at that speed, depending on the road/traffic.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:48 PM   #12
BLTZKRG

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I shift between 2000-2500 normally...averaging 17mpg...i cant stay out of gas lol.

CAGS Skip-Shift Eliminator
1LE Strut Tower Brace
GMPP Track Pack Axleback
Halltech CAI
Fuse Pull Mod
BLTZKRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #13
95celgt

Drives: 2014 1LE 2SS coupe
My 2nd gear is terrible...but I think my Hurst shifter is to blame when it was stock the gears would go in perfect, now I have to play with the clutch, and if I race from a complete stop at the drag strip 2nd doesn't go in/ grinds until the revs drop under 4k it's ridiculously annoying..so I stopped trying. I installed the Hurst at 5k car now has 18k not sure if the clutch or slave are to blame
95celgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #14
Destructo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95celgt View Post
My 2nd gear is terrible...but I think my Hurst shifter is to blame when it was stock the gears would go in perfect, now I have to play with the clutch, and if I race from a complete stop at the drag strip 2nd doesn't go in/ grinds until the revs drop under 4k it's ridiculously annoying..so I stopped trying. I installed the Hurst at 5k car now has 18k not sure if the clutch or slave are to blame
Same for me, I think the really short throw on the hurst makes it too fast for the transmission honestly.

I started slowing down the shifts and it seems to help.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI