Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-13-2014, 12:46 AM   #1
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
1LE with Low Volts

2200 miles on 2014 1LE, usually sits in garage during the week and during poor weather days.

Tonight I want to take the wife out for a spin in the car, and it is dead. I mean dead.

Pushed it out the garage and jumped it off. It started fine.

So I decide we should go for a spin and charge her up a bit. Never mind the concern of it going dead in a week.

After about 30 minutes of driving I note the volt meter shows no more than 13 volts, and shortly before getting home, dropping to 12 volts.

The whole time all interior accent and gauge lights are dim, and the mylink screen is dim.

Note all other functions operate normally. Signals and headlights, hud, radio. Fine.

So what the hell? (demonstrating frustration)
Old 07-13-2014, 02:19 AM   #2
DefiantXSoldier

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS/1LE NPP Recaros
Take it back to the dealer. You are covered for 3 years for all electrical. I'm sure they will give you a new battery if that what is wrong.
DefiantXSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
Use your warranty and take it to the dealer pronto.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:06 AM   #4
Spektrum

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
The battery likely has a dead cell and the alternator can't keep up trying to charge the battery AND keep the electrical system alive.

Definitely take it in for warranty repair before it leaves you stranded. May want to tow it if you don't feel comfortable.
Spektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektrum View Post
The battery likely has a dead cell and the alternator can't keep up trying to charge the battery AND keep the electrical system alive.

Definitely take it in for warranty repair before it leaves you stranded. May want to tow it if you don't feel comfortable.
I've had this happen a couple of times with a mustang and a chevy truck. Batteries both times.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
WiredAVS

Drives: '21 TRx '22 ZLe
As to why the dead battery no clue, could be numerous things. ECM keeping modules alive, interior light left on, etc......hell maybe just a weak battery.

Being the car fired right off during jumping is a good sign. A good battery that has holding capacity usually recovers amperage fairly quick while a weak battery will usually take a couple of tries to jump off.

As far as the gauges going to 13-12volts is normal during driving. The state of the battery is read and if it falls within a certain criteria, the alternator is shut off to eliminate over charging.

Did you notice if the battery gauge ever read 13-14 volts after the jump? I would let it sit overnight or for a couple of days and see it if drains the battery. If so, like most recommend, a trip to the dealer to let them figure it out.

Recaro's, Custom Autometer Gauges, Hotchkis 1" Lowering Coils, CAi Intake, Elite Catch Can's, 1 7/8" StainlessWorks LT's w/Hi Flo Cat's mated to factory NPP Exhaust, 160* Thermo, NightFury Cam, 2.9l Whipple on Meth @ 11lbs, JoeGibbs LS30 in the CrankCase, Built by Nick, Steven, and Tuned By Shawn at Lethal Racing....
WiredAVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
Cool1LE

Drives: 2014 Blk 2SS/1LE
I believe you did the write up on the M2W switch? Have you checked all your connections etc. to make sure your not draining to ground somewhere or have some kind of short etc.- I would check this before any warranty claim
Cool1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #8
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

I did yes and yes I will remove that today before bringing it to the dealer.

Just to note that I did verify the m2w was still operating properly yesterday when I had the low volts issue.

And the alternator was either unable to provide the current to charge the battery, even though there was suffecient volts and current to run the engine and electronics.

It does sound like a dead battery to me at this time.

Although I recall the onstar lights were on the whole time in my mirror.

Dead again this morning. Dealer closed till tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Ok. I was mistaken this morning.

I thought it was dead but didnt try to start it. So I just tried and it fired back up immediatly.

Then I backed it out of the garage into sunlight, and the displays brightened right up.

Then I pulled it in the garage out of the sunlight and the display dimmed to almost out.

Then I found the thumbwheel on the left of the steering column, and brought up the display brightness.

So I dunno.

Gonna charge her up today and see how it goes.

Also gonna disable the m2w module and see if I can find a switched power source to power it off.

Gonna keep an eye on this.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Well it has been a couple of days and everything is just fine.

Starts up like a race horse.

Charges at a little above 14vdc.

I dunno. It is slated to sit a week after I wash it.

We will see. But it has me befuddled.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #11
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
I just had a similar issue as yours. This past Sunday I was crossing the border back home. While waiting in line I noticed my voltage had dropped from 13.4V to 12.5V. I had owned a 2010 SS for 4 years and that car never had less than 14.2V. Took it to the dealer, they called me yesterday, said it was a faulty alternator. My car should be fixed today!
CreeperRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #12
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
dealers usually get screwed out of the good batteries for their new cars, it's probably just that.
could be the alternator killing the battery too but more than likely your battery is simply not holding a charge
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #13
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Just an update...

Car has sat 6 days unstarted.
M2w still installed.
Batter still charged.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #14
J-vette

Drives: '14 1le
Might want to get a trickle charger for it. Mine sits long at times also but I've haven't noticed any issues with starting yet (knock on wood). I'll hook it up to a trickle charger eventually though.
J-vette is offline   Reply With Quote