Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
StLCamarofan

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE M6
Buying car with an airbag issue?

So I'm looking to get into a 5th gen after a long wait (wouldn't settle for a v6 and couldn't afford a v8). I may finally have found one in my range, but its got some issues. Mainly, it has an airbag warning light on and the pass side seat bolster is ripped along the seam, and the seat side airbag is blown. The car was in a front corner collision.

Supposedly, it "wasn't too bad," but the front clip, right fender, and pass door skin were replaced. The body work is satisfactory, of course there's always going to be some fitment issues, but the gaps are pretty good from hood to fender to door. there are a few burn spots in the window tint, but other than that the inside is fine.

I haven't driven it yet, they're going to put it up one a lift for me and a mechanic friend to look at also, but assuming its all straight underneath and it goes down the road fine, is the airbag issue alone reason enough not to buy the car? Any idea what this part might cost? GM Parts direct didn't list it, but its #22 in this diagram:

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/201...gramCallOut=22

The pictures are in my album...Please let me know if you can help.

Thanks in Advance, asking a lot for my first post I know...

Last edited by StLCamarofan; 07-12-2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: error in link
StLCamarofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Does your state have a safety inspection? If so, you won't pass with the airbag light on.

Plus, the fact that someone is trying to sell a car without the airbag replaced would cause me to run in the other direction ASAP.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
Spektrum

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
Airbags are really expensive and as you can see so is the replacement leather skin.

You also need to keep in mind that a lot of Air Bag Modules (the computer) have an internal fuse that will blow when airbags deploy, it's a safety feature that manufacturers employ. The fuse is not serviceable separately, the module will have to be replaced. The impact sensor that sent the signal to the module could also be compromised. Modules are even more expensive and have to be programmed.
Spektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Hmm what else did they cheap out on repairing that car? Run away as fast as you can!
Old 07-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I buy cars for our car lot and I look at air bag lights in 2 ways. If it is announced that air bags have been deployed, yellow light comes on in the lane, the bidding/value goes down. Other times an airbag light will be on, nothing mentioned! For instance, a sensor in the seat belt may be bad, not the airbag itself, so it is an easy fix. To know what has caused the light to be on, the car will have to go to the dealership. Here in Louisiana, a car will pass inspection with a airbag light on!
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
what the title on the car say, salvage=don't buy. At the end of the day any car that's been wrecked loses a ton in value, im not sure if its wise to buy a car that's sustained that amount of damage.
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
StLCamarofan

The title is still clean, somehow. Im not sure how they pulled that off. I used to wholesale used cars for a living, so i have access to title records, and everything in its history is clean. However it was at an "auto salvage facility" at some point, and the current registered owner, (from doing some more research) appears to be the owner of a body shop. From the carfax records, its had only had 3k miles put on it in the last 2 years. From what im told, the airbag light being on wont prevent it from passing safety in Missouri.

Im with you guys on proceeding with caution, im kicking the crap out of the tires on this thing. As im sure you all can appreciate, an SS for 20 grand is a rare bird, and if i can be warning light free for less than $1000, i feel like its a win. Thanks for all of your replies, im just a guy on a budget looking to rejoin the Camaro club!
Old 07-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #8
mySSt

Drives: '11 SS M6, '14 SS 1LE, '17 SS 1LE
Like they said above, the SRS computer module is most likely fried and needs replacement and replacement programed by a dealer to your VIN ($300ish plus about $75). Does the DIC give the message like "service SRS"? If so, NONE of the airbags/seat belt tensioner locks should be working.

Do you know if the side curtain air bag also deployed? That's more dollars ($300 or so), etc. Our air bags have shipping considered to be 'hazardous' because of the ignitors. That adds about $150 to the cost of the air bag you buy online.

Not trying to be a bummer, just don't want to see you also have some big repair bills for any SRS issues. Good luck!

'11 CGM SS M6 ordered in 3/11, '14 BRM SS 1LE from stock in 10/13 & '17 HBM SS 1LE in 11/16 - all from BeckyD!!
mySSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Find out what you'll have to pay to fix the airbags because I guarantee it's more than you expect. Module, reprogramming, actual air bags, etc.

Unless you don't mind driving with the light on..

I wouldn't buy this car.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:45 PM   #10
StLCamarofan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mySSt View Post
Like they said above, the SRS computer module is most likely fried and needs replacement and replacement programed by a dealer to your VIN ($300ish plus about $75). Does the DIC give the message like "service SRS"? If so, NONE of the airbags/seat belt tensioner locks should be working.

Do you know if the side curtain air bag also deployed? That's more dollars ($300 or so), etc. Our air bags have shipping considered to be 'hazardous' because of the ignitors. That adds about $150 to the cost of the air bag you buy online.

Not trying to be a bummer, just don't want to see you also have some big repair bills for any SRS issues. Good luck!
Thanks. Im going to test drive it tomorrow and plug a scan tool up to it, then call some of my mechanic buddies and see about quotes. From what i understand, the service airbag message does appear on the dic. Ill report back my findings here over the next couple of days. I appreciate the advice all.

Last edited by StLCamarofan; 07-13-2014 at 05:59 PM. Reason: sp
Old 07-15-2014, 10:31 PM   #11
StLCamarofan

Reporting back. Frame is perfectly straight. right front control Arm and steering knuckle had to be replaced, none of the crush points are crumpled, it really seems super clean. Both side curtain airbags popped, but nothing up front, nor the seat belts. they replaced the curtain airbags and reused the headliner. He says he had the SDM reset @ the dealer also. So I'm thinking I'm really only going to be out the airbag, maybe whatever else got broke in the seat (PPS, Airbag seat position sensor maybe). And the seat cover if I cant get someone to stitch it for less than $200. Feel free to suggest anything I might be missing?

With Ebay and willing friends I'm going to gamble that I can get any issues straightened out for a grand or so and I'm going to buy this car. I welcome any contrary views, please, talk me out of it!

You didn't drive it though, or hear it...damn
Old 07-16-2014, 12:29 AM   #12
DJ A

Drives: Cammed 2010 SS
I say go for it! An SS for $20k? And a clean title is a steal! Yes it's been in an accident but if you have it inspected and everything looks good, why not? I've bought many salvage cars before including one of my Camaros which I stole for $13k, put $3k into and now I have a perfectly running Camaro SS that only costed me $16k! (P.S. The one in my avatar and sig is one I bought from a dealer, not the salvage one I'm talking about). A lot of people are scared of buying salvage/wrecked cars but really they're the best deals out there! Just make sure it runs good.
DJ A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:05 AM   #13
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ A View Post
I say go for it! An SS for $20k? And a clean title is a steal! Yes it's been in an accident but if you have it inspected and everything looks good, why not? I've bought many salvage cars before including one of my Camaros which I stole for $13k, put $3k into and now I have a perfectly running Camaro SS that only costed me $16k! (P.S. The one in my avatar and sig is one I bought from a dealer, not the salvage one I'm talking about). A lot of people are scared of buying salvage/wrecked cars but really they're the best deals out there! Just make sure it runs good.
salvaged can be good deals, i've also seen plenty of salvaged cars come into my shop where the entire frame is ruined and the owner had no idea

selling a salvaged car is hard, even if everything is fixed it isn't worth what it should be worth because of a piece of paper.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #14
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Hmm what else did they cheap out on repairing that car? Run away as fast as you can!
X2. Life's to short !!!
Next you will be the one trying to dump the POS.