Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #99

Drives: Getaway Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by R6P View Post
GM has just announced, in an effort to prevent Z/28 cloning, approx 40 specific Z/28 parts will be restricted:

With the launch of the new Camaro Z/28, approximately 40 different Z/28 specific parts will be placed on restriction. This action is being taken to protect the vehicle’s brand and customer’s investment by preventing the “cloning” of the Z/28.

Dealers will be required to obtain specific vehicle & owner information before any parts order request can begin.

Part orders for the restricted parts will be monitored and reported to the Camaro Program Team, GM Regional Warranty Managers and appropriate Field personnel.

Z/28 parts replaced for warranty, will be requested back through the parts return process, for analysis.
Ok, I'm Pedder's and I want 16 sets of rotors for Owner/Racer "XYZ". Thank you. When will they arrive please? Oh, now it's "Mikes Bodyshop" and I need four set of flares for Owner ABC who wants to customize. Oh, this is Advance Auto and I am ordering calipers for Champion Auto Repair who has a Z/28 owner, but we at Advance only have the name of the repair shop, not the car owner. Such a farce that they will "monitor"... ok, if you say so. Go for it. This is going to be fun to watch I guess??
Old 04-23-2014, 08:04 PM   #100
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Maybe we all need to wait and see before getting upset with a situation that, in this case, might not exist. Until GM clarifies this, or owners start ordering parts, we really won't know the exact details of how this is all going to pan out...
Old 04-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #101
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Yeah after the Gov't takes 30-50%
doing it wrong?????
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #102
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I don't look down on anyone who has fun modding their car. Nothing sacred about any car, Z/28 included. GM is looking to make the most money form collectors.

The only thing that would be slimey is trying to pass off a clone as an original. Not because the original is better, but it is worth more. Although this $$ logic escapes me. If both have the same parts they are the same car. Period. It's all in the car collectors mind. But you do see this logic changing where big money is changing hands for accurate clones.

Just because you can afford something does not make the owner any better either.
I agree with Fraxum here completely! You hit a some very good points here.

I think many of these "anti-cloners" forget that the Z/28 benefited tremendously from the lessons learned on the SS, ZL1, and 1LE development. So why shouldn't the people that supported the development of those cars (by purchasing them) be able to benefit from the improvements the Z/28 received thanks to those lessons learned. if the ZL1 and 1LE were not a success the Z/28 program would have been killed and there wouldn't be a Z/28. So I feel that any of the previous model Camaro owners have just as much right to buy and purchase parts for the Z/28 to improve upon their cars with. It's not about being posers and it's not about being something you are not. It's about upgrading your Camaro with parts from more developed car.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:04 PM   #103
rare991

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
I agree with Fraxum here completely! You hit a some very good points here.

I think many of these "anti-cloners" forget that the Z/28 benefited tremendously from the lessons learned on the SS, ZL1, and 1LE development. So why shouldn't the people that supported the development of those cars (by purchasing them) be able to benefit from the improvements the Z/28 received thanks to those lessons learned. if the ZL1 and 1LE were not a success the Z/28 program would have been killed and there wouldn't be a Z/28. So I feel that any of the previous model Camaro owners have just as much right to buy and purchase parts for the Z/28 to improve upon their cars with. It's not about being posers and it's not about being something you are not. It's about upgrading your Camaro with parts from more developed car.
rare991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #104
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
..I can see it now, the first Z/28 w/ an RS package
dont for get to add NAV to the car at the same time and will still drop 250lb+ off the car.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #105
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Brain View Post
doing it wrong?????
Huh?
Old 04-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #106
GRAHL
workaholic

Drives: 69 SS Lemans Blue
This is a great move. Hopefully it slows down the franken-car poser types. Some people really upset. Surely the after market can provide performance upgrades! Probably cheaper too. Some feeling left out of the big boys' club and taking it personal. That's kind of a personal problem. In the end nothing is 100%, so some clones will pop up.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #107
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
Hate to admit it, but if updating your ride makes you a poser, I've been one most my life.

If GM comes out with better parts for my future Z/28, I'll update that too.
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #108
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAHL View Post
This is a great move. Hopefully it slows down the franken-car poser types. Some people really upset. Surely the after market can provide performance upgrades! Probably cheaper too. Some feeling left out of the big boys' club and taking it personal. That's kind of a personal problem. In the end nothing is 100%, so some clones will pop up.

Man if you think modding your car with newer parts is a poser type your are off base. That is just hot rodding in general. As for being left out of big boys clubs what do you call all the zl1 owners little girls club.Sorry ZL1 owners but trying to make a point.

BTW GM is making a z28.r does anyone have part numbers from it. Those parts should not be on restriction and while it may be a different part number it is the same part. Listed in car and driver this month.

Last edited by macwest; 04-24-2014 at 09:38 AM.
macwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #109
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylane765 View Post
There will be after market.
Sure the aftermarket will be expensive too. Sounds like that's the recurring theme with this Z/28 :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
Hate to admit it, but if updating your ride makes you a poser, I've been one most my life.

If GM comes out with better parts for my future Z/28, I'll update that too.
Personally I see there is a very small line between poser and upgrading. Certainly for performance parts from the Z/28, that's not being a poser, that's upgrading. Specific Z/28 design parts that don't improve performance, is borderline BUT definitely putting the Z/28 badge on a non-Z/28 is being a huge freakin poser
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #110
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
Debadging = Hotrodder.
Wrong Badging = Ricer.
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #111
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo64 View Post
Sure the aftermarket will be expensive too. Sounds like that's the recurring theme with this Z/28 :(

Personally I see there is a very small line between poser and upgrading. Certainly for performance parts from the Z/28, that's not being a poser, that's upgrading. Specific Z/28 design parts that don't improve performance, is borderline BUT definitely putting the Z/28 badge on a non-Z/28 is being a huge freakin poser
+1. Upgrade your performance via whatever parts you can buy; it's your car. I get that. I also get all the logic behind restricting certain parts when viewed from the manufacture's perspective.

But when you apply a Z/28 badge to a non-Z/28, how did that help performance? How is that different than pinning on a medal, or claiming a degree, that you didn't earn? It's a free country. You certainly have the right to badge your car any way you like. But as mentioned in posts elsewhere, I'm not going to label the act but I would draw the line at adding the Z/28 badge. Note claiming to be a "Z/28" is quietly inherent in adding the Z/28 badge to a Camaro. Yes, the VIN number tells the true story, but in passing the visible Z/28 badge trumps the invisible VIN#.

That said, a Z/28 badge on a Pontiac Aztec? I could laugh at that.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #112
GRAHL
workaholic

Drives: 69 SS Lemans Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL575BumbleBee View Post
I am assuming by the picture in your signature your a Car Purist which is fine. But if you look back when you were a kid I am certain you thought about modifying your car even just a little bit.

My thought is when GM offers parts from the performance parts division that they will actually fit the first time you put them on the car. Trust me when I say even the best aftermarket company's stuff doesn't always fit or fit well. I purchased Brake Booster/Master Cylinder kit from one of the top Vendors for my "Bolt-Together" Sema project and when I put it on I couldn't close the hood. My point is the aftermarket isn't always as reliable and that is why I look at GM & Ford Performance parts first when I build a car.

and if it makes you feel better I do have a 62 Bel Air Bubble top 409/409 that was campaigned as a race car back in the 60's that is bone stock (998 point restoration). But I am seriously thinking of slamming the car to the ground because to me it looks like a 4 x 4 and it is boring as hell to drive.

Moldings, scoops, escutcheons, emblems, flares, grills, covers, shields, fascias....Which of those performance parts will help anyone's car perform better? That's where the posers come in....trying to make their car look like something it's not. Performance upgrades...ok, I can see that. BTW don't chop up that bel air!!!! haha.