#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-11-2021, 01:28 PM   #99
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eham View Post
Some people are trying real hard to not have "regular Z" buyers remorse. I assume 100% of the speed difference is in the added 1LE aero? I think i would rather have the ZLE and just remove the wing if i was worried that much about straight line speed
Part of the 1LE package is the solid rear cradle bushings, which make a big difference in handling.

I have upgraded my regular ZL-1 with all the suspension goodies offered by BMR. I'm sure it would be pretty close to the 1LE in terms of lap times, but probably would still lag behind a bit.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:57 PM   #100
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Nailed it! ^^^

Straight line speed was a bit more priority for me than road course speed so I went with the ZL1 and made it even quicker. I'm not a fan of the ride of the 1LE or poking tire look, or the rear wing and canards so I bought what I wanted and customized it even further. No regrets.
This, and the videos of the driver bouncing around in his seat. Unless you are going to spend a significant time at the track, I didn't see the point.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:32 PM   #101
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
Part of the 1LE package is the solid rear cradle bushings, which make a big difference in handling.
Solid bushings also wear faster and tend to contribute to more interior squeaks and rattles. Again, in a race car you don't care - in street car you do. This circular argument can go round and round for another 10 pages but sums up why you buy either one. Different tools for different applications

I like the polyurethane bushings for longevity and firmer suspension response but they need to be periodically re-greased
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:17 PM   #102
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post

I have upgraded my regular ZL-1 with all the suspension goodies offered by BMR. I'm sure it would be pretty close to the 1LE in terms of lap times, but probably would still lag behind a bit.
If you switch to 305/325 GYSC 3R from regular GYSC 3 you will shave the most time.

The DSSVs also make a big difference, you might be surprised how much great coilovers can improve lap times once your're already doing top 10-15 HPDE event times. A few years ago on my Evo X track car I switched from well aligned KW V3 to Ohlins DFV R/T and shaved almost 2 seconds immediately off already fast lap times.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:17 PM   #103
boosedep3

Drives: 2018 SS1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
If you switch to 305/325 GYSC 3R from regular GYSC 3 you will shave the most time.

The DSSVs also make a big difference, you might be surprised how much great coilovers can improve lap times once your're already doing top 10-15 HPDE event times. A few years ago on my Evo X track car I switched from well aligned KW V3 to Ohlins DFV R/T and shaved almost 2 seconds immediately off already fast lap times.
My Evo X had ohlins and it was amazing. I am hoping my standard ZL1 can get close to that handling as I'm not going with the 1LE. Im coming from a Hellcat Charger so I'm hoping the handling is night and day. The Evo handling is my baseline for everything haha.
boosedep3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:36 PM   #104
bcasurvey1

Drives: 2019 White ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jb View Post
Is the ZLE street-able? Yes!
Is the ZLE harsh? Absolutely!
Is the ZLE ride height a major issue? Yep!

Pro: ZL1
Pro: ZLE
Con: Not driving both personally before making a decision.

Anything is possible.

ZL1 guys will say it's the best, the ZLE guys will say it's the best. Bottom line, buy what you like and what you can afford, then go hoon responsibly.
^^^*2
bcasurvey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:04 PM   #105
gofarthergen6

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
Just got my '19 1LE in December, going from my daily driver '18 Lincoln Navigator and into this car was...an adjustment. At first you feel like you're peering out of a mailbox slot, on all four view ports. And that wing bisects the headlights of cars following. The postage stamp side rear views mostly show rear haunches. Rough pavement transits the rubber cleanly straight to your kidneys.

A couple hundred miles later and the mail slots combined with the Recaro's make you feel like you're cocooned in there - and the ride is just part of the fun. And then you get your first track day (ever, in any kind of car) and it's the kind of rain my grandfather called a frog strangler. I was nervous thinking about all that power on dry pavement, but Track/Wet mode managed to keep me out of the dirt the whole day, particularly on those first sloppy laps - how did I forget all my Gran Turismo training? By lap 16, smooth is fast is the mantra, and I managed a 3.9 0-60 on one start out of the pits and I call that a win in the rain. Tires are new Pilot 3's A/S, 325 on all four corners of course, and it's a 6 speed (don't forget to turn the rev matching on, why can't it just be default?)

So yeah, get the 1LE or regret it the rest of your life lol
gofarthergen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 11:27 PM   #106
zupesterLT1
2018 Convertible ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Convertible
ZL1

I autocross my convertible ZL1 and no I am not the fastest especially since I did a few little mods giving me 625 ponies at the wheels. I am thinking about a set of 1LE wheels and tires though just to make the autocross more manageable. I love my ZL1. Girlfriend loves the convertible... I call that a win win win. Also now I have an excuse to buy a 2nd one in 1LE... hmmm

Last edited by zupesterLT1; 06-05-2022 at 10:09 PM.
zupesterLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:12 AM   #107
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
As a ZLE owner for 3+ years, my use case is 90% Street (mostly backroads) + 10% Track.

No regrets but then again I live near very smooth roads. The added bonus is being able to shuttle my 2 kids under 6 around when needed.

People who say the ZLE is harsh for the street needs to drive 'track' cars like the 997 GT3 from the late 2000's...

Don't buy the ZLE to cruise to your local meets - use it as intended on track/backroads and respect it for the tool that it is from GM. It will blow your mind away with respect to it's handling prowess especially with stiff springs paired to DSSV.

This is a heavy car at +3800lbs - you need stiff springs and coilovers to ensure there is no slop at heavy lateral loads. That is why the ZLE handles like a well sorted Miata.

Don't buy a scalpel and expect it to function like a chainsaw. Use as intended.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:37 AM   #108
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
get the ZLE - if you have to question it, you will regret not getting the 1LE

I rather have and not want than to want and not have

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 11:47 AM   #109
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Ideally drive both, but if you're 90% street the standard ZL1 is the better option - the LE aero is just more drag for street rolls and it doesn't hook up as well off the line

All of them suck down gas like crazy, might want to invest in XOM (I'm long)
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 04:04 PM   #110
RedHotandblue

Drives: Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE
To buy or not to buy the ZL1 with/without 1LE

I have 2022 Zl1 1LE which I bought in December of 2021. Came from the factory with cracked tires which dealer replaced. I have tracked it once so far. My thoughts:
1. It is a harsh ride and harsher when tires cold.
2. Tires scrub and slip until they warm up. 100 wear rating means you won’t get much out of them. As of now, you can’t buy anything but OEM wheels and Track/street rubber. Cup 2’s at least give you a 200 wear rating. Might be able to get the Michelin all weathers but wheels to put it on still and issue.
3. You may know more than your dealer about the car. I took mine in for a track alignment and they had no idea what I wanted - they finally called GM and figured it out. BTW - when they replaced the cracked rubber they didn’t torque the nuts, some were loose and some required a long handle half inch socket wrench to get them off.
4. Consider who will be in this car with you. My wife hates it!
5. Jacking up a C6 (can’t speak to earlier models) is a PTA. Pinch welds make getting a jack under car without damaging body work hard and only a small area of the weld that appears to a bit heavier (the indicated jack points) so jacking up car and getting a jack stand underneath is something I have yet to resolve.
6. There is no reasonable place on public roads to let out the ZL1 with or without the 1LE pkg. An SS (in several flavors) may be a better choice (cost to buy/own, comfort, your relationship with your SO).
7. Finally, if you really have to have the LT4, I don’t think the 1LE is needed unless you are in the advanced/hard core track weenie territory. Otherwise you give up a reasonable ride for a car you will never push to it’s limits. I track a lot and have for several years, despite that I’m finding it hard to work up the courage to go as fast as this car can go.
RedHotandblue is offline   Reply With Quote