Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 03-31-2018, 09:24 AM   #15
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
As I said in the other guys thread. Mine sounds the same and I'm at 18k and I drive that car like I stole it half the time.

So I'm pretty sure it's normal.

The only sound that mine made that wasn't normal was a loose header bolt was causing a slight exhaust leak at one time and I just snugged the bolt up and that noise was gone.
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:54 AM   #16
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Yeah you might also want to send an oil sample to Blackstone labs and they will tell you if you have a problem.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:39 PM   #17
Bizlipkick

Drives: 45th Ann. 2ss
Everything said above is true I think, but I feel you are good.
Bizlipkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #18
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Ok, so I had a few days to really pay attention to the LT1 noises on cold start up. The Bottom line is, these engines are noisy on start-up and you WILL more than likely hear some metallic tapping during the first couple minutes or so as the oil gets distributed throughout the valve train. From what I gathered doing some research, this is normal. The important thing is that the noise goes away soon after the idle settles. If you notice the noise after the engine is warmed up or it's constantly there at idle, you may have an issue that needs to be looked at. Note that this noise is separate from the DI tick - which is always there at idle and totally normal.

The above is only my opinion. If you still have doubts, better to take it in to be sure. I have a video I'll try to get posted later.

Last edited by torqueaddict; 04-02-2018 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Grammar
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:05 PM   #19
Nano

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 2ss
What is DI tick?? I bought 2018 1le a week ago, and similar ticking got my attention, but its constant even after 1h drive, when idling you can hear it kinda like the sound klip from Corvette but mine is more delicate. So I guess it's all good roght??
I will do my oil change at 500 miles and diff.
5years ago I was using royal purple on my previous camaro, is it still good??
I hear A LOT ABOut amsoil, does anyone have picture how it looks exactly?? So I know what I am looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
Ok, so I had a few days to really pay attention to the LT1 noises on cold start up. The Bottom line is, these engines are noisy on start-up and you WILL more than likely hear some metallic tapping during the first couple minutes or so as the oil gets distributed throughout the valve train. From what I gathered doing some research, this is normal. The important thing is that the noise goes away soon after the idle settles. If you notice the noise after the engine is warmed up or it's constantly there at idle, you may have an issue that needs to be looked at. Note that this noise is separate from the DI tick - which is always there at idle and totally normal.

The above is only my opinion. If you still have doubts, better to take it in to be sure. I have a video I'll try to get posted later.
Nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:20 PM   #20
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano View Post
What is DI tick?? I bought 2018 1le a week ago, and similar ticking got my attention, but its constant even after 1h drive, when idling you can hear it kinda like the sound klip from Corvette but mine is more delicate. So I guess it's all good roght??
I will do my oil change at 500 miles and diff.
5years ago I was using royal purple on my previous camaro, is it still good??
I hear A LOT ABOut amsoil, does anyone have picture how it looks exactly?? So I know what I am looking for?
DI stands for Direct Injection. If it sounds like the Corvette, you should be fine. Make a vid if you can, but I'm leaning towards it being OK.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:37 PM   #21
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
I dont even notice it anymore. I've heard other LT1s and I'm pretty sure it is the injectors or harmonics of some kind.

I cut the filter and found nothing abnormal.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:45 AM   #22
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
It might just be a late model GM thing. My work van used to be a 2014 2500 Express van with the 6.0 in it and it ticked constantly.

It had 263k on it before they retired it. Never had an engine failure.
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:10 AM   #23
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Yeah, they're definitely noisy. My LS3 was noisy too. The injectors are a big contributor as are the roller rockers, lifters, and the composite intake manifolds seem to amplify things from within.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:58 PM   #24
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506235

My engine ticks and rattles like yours. So does every other SS I’ve seen in person. I put a stethoscope on mine and confirmed the metallic tick comes from my fuel rails and injectors. Normal. Follow the link I provided, I compiled a database of our noisy engines. Hopefully to ease some people’s minds, and confirm suspicions of a failing engine. Give it a browse, and please link your soundclips there.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #25
MR-02

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
sound proof the di ticking

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506235

My engine ticks and rattles like yours. So does every other SS I’ve seen in person. I put a stethoscope on mine and confirmed the metallic tick comes from my fuel rails and injectors. Normal. Follow the link I provided, I compiled a database of our noisy engines. Hopefully to ease some people’s minds, and confirm suspicions of a failing engine. Give it a browse, and please link your soundclips there.
There must be a "best way" to muffle out the DI ticking. Seeing as how annoying it is to everyone here and in the vette forum, what is the best material or location to apply some sort of sound deadener to at least minimize the ticking? Personally I think it is loudest coming out from under the wheel well, bouncing off the ground.....there has got to be a way to put shielding or something to hide the noise! With all the DIY's and modding someone has got to have access to something to fix this........what are anyones thoughts? I was thinking of coating the inside of the front fenders with some kind of rubberized spray...does anyone think that might work?
Old 06-03-2018, 07:13 AM   #26
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-02 View Post
There must be a "best way" to muffle out the DI ticking.
Yup, here's the best way
Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:44 PM   #27
Nano

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
DI stands for Direct Injection. If it sounds like the Corvette, you should be fine. Make a vid if you can, but I'm leaning towards it being OK.

I followed previous link with other ppl sounds clip and I can definitely tell it's normal, it's the light ticking like every single camaro there.
So I might just post a sound clip over there for others, because for some new comers like myself it is very helpful and mind relief.
Drive safe guys!
Nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:04 AM   #28
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Someone did a posting on this issue last year and determined it's in the exhaust system like the pre-cats bolts needing tightening. Do a search on this forum and you should find the post. My 2016 is at 22,000 miles and does the same as yours. After it warms up and idles down it stops ticking. IMO you don't have any worries with your 1LE. Good luck!