Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-30-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Metallic ticking on cold start

So there have been a few other folks with ticks, squeals, and etc. on startup. Some have been attributed to failed AFM lifters and some have been deemed "normal".

Mine appears to be a bad roller bearing on the rocker or a lifter.

I'll try to post a video later. My car is a brand new 2018 1SS 1LE that I purchased with 5 miles on the odometer. I drove it for 700 miles then parked it for the winter.

I noticed it last season, but didn't think much of it since the car is brand new after all. I never romped on it, kept it under 4000 rpm, varied speed on the highway, etc. per the break-in procedure.

I changed the oil recently with 5W/30 dexos Mobil 1 and Mobile M113A filter. I noticed a couple metal shavings, like 2, in the drain pan but again assumed it was break in junk.

After starting it up, I noticed the noise a bit more pronounced. It is a metallic tick/rattle/squeak like sound in time with the engine idle. It lasts about 45 seconds until the RPMs come down and settle into normal idle after cold start then I can't repeat it no matter what. No ticking in the engine bay, nothing. At first I thought it might be the exhaust before the valve closes, but it is towards the front of the car.

Anyway, to me it sounds like what a bad roller on roller lifter sounds like that eventually eats the cam.

I took the car to the dealership (very rare for me to do), let it sit overnight. They fired it up this morning and said they heard it.

They think it could be a bad lifter (sound goes away after getting oiled up) and said if so, the engine will need to be replaced (metal throughout the engine from wiped cam) They noticed the Mobil 1 filter and said most likely I used the wrong oil and said I may need to pay out of pocket. Lol! No freaking way. I had the receipts for the oil. They took copies but noted that because I changed my oil myself, there is no way to determine if I screwed something up, let debris get into the engine, etc. Said they will have to discuss with GM after they investigate the issue and potential cause. I provided them a copy of the AFM lifter TSB too.

There are many others on here who have described a similar noise but all seemed to think it was normal due to the number of folks, but I don't think it is. Again. I'll try to post a sound clip. Hard to describe a noise with words since there are numerous engine noises.

Here we go... there goes my first full driving season with a broken brand new, 700 mile. $45k dud. Thanks Chevy! Lol

I put a whopping 10 miles on the car after the oil change and the noise was there before I changed the oil.

I think my plan is to have the car towed to another dealership, but all these notes are already in the system. Not sure that it will matter. In the meantime, I'm going to cut open the factory oil filter, see what's in there.

I'll keep ya updated as this will probably be a long saga.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:16 PM   #2
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
So there have been a few other folks with ticks, squeals, and etc. on startup. Some have been attributed to failed AFM lifters and some have been deemed "normal".

Mine appears to be a bad roller bearing on the rocker or a lifter.

I'll try to post a video later. My car is a brand new 2018 1SS 1LE that I purchased with 5 miles on the odometer. I drove it for 700 miles then parked it for the winter.

I noticed it last season, but didn't think much of it since the car is brand new after all. I never romped on it, kept it under 4000 rpm, varied speed on the highway, etc. per the break-in procedure.

I changed the oil recently with 5W/30 dexos Mobil 1 and Mobile M113A filter. I noticed a couple metal shavings, like 2, in the drain pan but again assumed it was break in junk.

After starting it up, I noticed the noise a bit more pronounced. It is a metallic tick/rattle/squeak like sound in time with the engine idle. It lasts about 45 seconds until the RPMs come down and settle into normal idle after cold start then I can't repeat it no matter what. No ticking in the engine bay, nothing. At first I thought it might be the exhaust before the valve closes, but it is towards the front of the car.

Anyway, to me it sounds like what a bad roller on roller lifter sounds like that eventually eats the cam.

I took the car to the dealership (very rare for me to do), let it sit overnight. They fired it up this morning and said they heard it.

They think it could be a bad lifter (sound goes away after getting oiled up) and said if so, the engine will need to be replaced (metal throughout the engine from wiped cam) They noticed the Mobil 1 filter and said most likely I used the wrong oil and said I may need to pay out of pocket. Lol! No freaking way. I had the receipts for the oil. They took copies but noted that because I changed my oil myself, there is no way to determine if I screwed something up, let debris get into the engine, etc. Said they will have to discuss with GM after they investigate the issue and potential cause. I provided them a copy of the AFM lifter TSB too.

There are many others on here who have described a similar noise but all seemed to think it was normal due to the number of folks, but I don't think it is. Again. I'll try to post a sound clip. Hard to describe a noise with words since there are numerous engine noises.

Here we go... there goes my first full driving season with a broken brand new, 700 mile. $45k dud. Thanks Chevy! Lol

I put a whopping 10 miles on the car after the oil change and the noise was there before I changed the oil.

I think my plan is to have the car towed to another dealership, but all these notes are already in the system. Not sure that it will matter. In the meantime, I'm going to cut open the factory oil filter, see what's in there.

I'll keep ya updated as this will probably be a long saga.

Oh man, good luck.

I don’t understand the ball busting on the oil change. Seriously? Talking about insulting...wrong oil, not enough, or even possibly you happened to have a jar of metal filings that you inadvertantly dropped in with the fill? But, you’re bright enough to know there’s an abnormal cold start noise and bring it to their attention?
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:17 PM   #3
Bizlipkick

Drives: 45th Ann. 2ss
I'll be honest man , I just posted a video a few days ago talking about a tick, and I have the same weird tick on cold start that goes away once the car warms up . I agree it sounds terrible , but the general consensus on the forums that I have seen (I went back almost 30 pages on this very forum , plus cruised c7 vette forums ) is that the noise is normal. Not sure if this helps , but I have a 2017 2ss with a 6 speed and have a weird metal ticking when I first start the car also . A few people chimed in on my post from before that they had the same noise as me.
Bizlipkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:27 PM   #4
Cgocifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizlipkick View Post
I'll be honest man , I just posted a video a few days ago talking about a tick, and I have the same weird tick on cold start that goes away once the car warms up . I agree it sounds terrible , but the general consensus on the forums that I have seen (I went back almost 30 pages on this very forum , plus cruised c7 vette forums ) is that the noise is normal. Not sure if this helps , but I have a 2017 2ss with a 6 speed and have a weird metal ticking when I first start the car also . A few people chimed in on my post from before that they had the same noise as me.
I hear ya. Read the same stuff but I figured, what the heck, it's under warranty, might as well have it checked out.
.I decided to take the car home and look for another dealer.

After sitting all day, I started it and jumped out to find out where it is. Honestly, it doesn't sound like it's in the top end. First it sounded like rear of the car then right in the middle under it, near the clutch.

It disappears so fast, that I only have about 40 seconds to look for it.

Now I'm thinking exhaust baffle again. Hmmmm
Old 03-30-2018, 09:33 PM   #5
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Post a clip if you can.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:44 PM   #6
Cgocifer

Here ya go:

Sounds worse on the recording.

https://youtu.be/_MsVDbwc1mg
Old 03-30-2018, 10:26 PM   #7
Bizlipkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
Here ya go:

Sounds worse on the recording.

https://youtu.be/_MsVDbwc1mg

Literally exactly what mine sounds like , down to the little rattle when you first started it
Old 03-30-2018, 10:52 PM   #8
torqueaddict

To my untrained ear, everything sounds normal until the 0:34-0:37 second mark where it does sound more like a mechanical tick than DI. But that's my armchair diagnosis which means little.

Someone more experienced would have to chime in.

Bizlipkick, I didn't hear that in your clip. Yours sounded normal to me.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:00 PM   #9
Bizlipkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
To my untrained ear, everything sounds normal until the 0:34-0:37 second mark where it does sound more like a mechanical tick than DI. But that's my armchair diagnosis which means little.

Someone more experienced would have to chime in.

Bizlipkick, I didn't hear that in your clip. Yours sounded normal to me.
Oh sorry I didn't clarify, my clips were when the car was already warm . After I recorded them I started listening to it cold and it sounds like op. But to be honest I think all cars nowadays have cold noises. My wife has a 2016 Lexus is300 and with 10000 miles and since day one on cold starts it sounds like a diesil falling apart for a minute until the revs drop
Old 03-30-2018, 11:02 PM   #10
torqueaddict

This is what the normal tick sounds like:

Old 03-30-2018, 11:40 PM   #11
Cgocifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
This is what the normal tick sounds like:

That actually sounds worse, lol. Except at about 36 seconds in my video, it sounds more metallic.

I don't know.

The dealership I took it to, seemed to think it was not normal and possibly required a total engine replacement. That surprised me considering I expected them to say that it is completely normal like they always do. lol

I really need to find another 1LE and hear it on cold start. I'm not yet convinced that the sound is coming from the engine. It really sounds like it is elsewhere. If you notice in my crappy, rushed video, I put the phone near the top of the engine and you only hear the typical injectors and valve train noise. That's not the sound. The metallic sound is under the car more. To my ears, it sounded more towards the rear, but then also towards the trans/clutch area.

Not sure I'm ready to let some dealership shitcan my engine to investigate it and then tell me it was due to my own maintenance and screw me with the bill because I didn't service it with them.

Last edited by Cgocifer; 03-30-2018 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:05 AM   #12
torqueaddict

When I start-up in the morning, I'll try to remember to take a video. ILE or SS should not matter. And we both have M6s.

I think your idea of taking it to another dealer makes good sense. We might be making a big deal out of nothing.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:39 AM   #13
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
It sounds just like my car. Just drive it and cut the oil filter open when you change oil to see what you get. My first oil change at 500 miles had all types of crap come out of the oil pan. I didnt look into the filter.

My second oil change at 1000 miles had a few chunks come out and maybe 3 small flakes in the filter. Its cleaning up.

I also run the ac delco filter so the dealer wont say crap like they said about yours. Lol
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:48 AM   #14
Bizlipkick

Not saying this is the standard, but I had until 2 months ago a 2000 silverado with the 5.3 in it, 200,000 miles, and every time I changed the oil on the magnetic drain plug their was a solid half inch of flakes, for the past 4 years, and it still runs like a tank. And has had a cold no crap KNOCK for the past 4 years also.