Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-30-2022, 01:08 PM   #8401
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Pulling into a charging station would be fun as well with a trailer. They got a long way to go. Then again, I doubt traditional truck buyers doing truck stuff are buying the Lightning at this stage of the game. I think you'll find many of these folks are first time truck buyers.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 01:52 PM   #8402
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Pulling into a charging station would be fun as well with a trailer. They got a long way to go. Then again, I doubt traditional truck buyers doing truck stuff are buying the Lightning at this stage of the game. I think you'll find many of these folks are first time truck buyers.
Exactly my point. EVs are supposed to be for reducing our energy consumption, yet here we are making trucks that can't truck, are heavier than their ICE counterparts, but accelerate really fast...

Good grief what a failure.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 03:17 PM   #8403
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
The only thing appealing about any of this to me is the at home charging option.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 03:57 PM   #8404
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
The only thing appealing about any of this to me is the at home charging option.
Makes sense for my wife - as a daily, but we use her current daily for long road trips as well. 1000 mile trips sometimes, and her SUV will easily go 650 miles on one tank, loaded with the whole family and all our gear.

Plus there isn't an EV that even compares to it's size and cargo volume, so looks like we are still not candidates for a long time.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 04:29 PM   #8405
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Did the Supreme courts decision against the EPA today affect CAFE standards at all?
Old 07-01-2022, 09:56 AM   #8406
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Good to see a real world test on the Lightning towing. Range absolutely sucked. Curious to see how the Silverado EV does if it does any better.

Video also just helps confirm my view that if your going to be towing heavy loads regularly a diesel in a heavy duty is a much better option.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:25 PM   #8407
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Good to see a real world test on the Lightning towing. Range absolutely sucked. Curious to see how the Silverado EV does if it does any better.

Video also just helps confirm my view that if your going to be towing heavy loads regularly a diesel in a heavy duty is a much better option.
I think it will do marginally better due to starting with a higher capacity but we shall see. Would be nice if they have a trick up their sleeve. GM is the only one claiming 20,000 lb towing ability in an EV.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:20 AM   #8408
shaffe

It will be interesting to see for sure. I think the idea of electric trucks is great for people that barely ever do truck stuff. But for people that need to tow and haul constantly I think the technology is a long way away still.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 07-05-2022, 03:12 PM   #8409
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
It will be interesting to see for sure. I think the idea of electric trucks is great for people that barely ever do truck stuff. But for people that need to tow and haul constantly I think the technology is a long way away still.
Exactly this. Most people who buy pickups (or SUVs for that matter) don’t really need a pickup. Those who use a pickup for towing and hauling will likely be among the last converts to electric.

What makes more sense for people who use trucks as trucks would be hydrogen fuel cell powered trucks. FCEVs are (in my opinion) the diesel of electrification. Range is less sensitive to load and speed conditions. Thing is, if BEVs have an infrastructure problem, FCEVs say “hold my beer”.

It’ll be a long while before FCEV are viable in the US. Meanwhile, expect battery tech to continue to improve.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:22 PM   #8410
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Exactly this. Most people who buy pickups (or SUVs for that matter) don’t really need a pickup. Those who use a pickup for towing and hauling will likely be among the last converts to electric.

What makes more sense for people who use trucks as trucks would be hydrogen fuel cell powered trucks. FCEVs are (in my opinion) the diesel of electrification. Range is less sensitive to load and speed conditions. Thing is, if BEVs have an infrastructure problem, FCEVs say “hold my beer”.

It’ll be a long while before FCEV are viable in the US. Meanwhile, expect battery tech to continue to improve.
I always value your opinion, but a guy from the great lakes area and another guy from the Cheasapeake bay - let alone the P-sound, Florida, and all the other boats around the globe...

I hear no real chatter about them.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 02:13 PM   #8411
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
I messed with high-temperature palladium hydrogen filters -- the kind used to filter "dirty hydrogen" into clean hydrogen in fuel cells -- in my education and career. The hot box full of tubes style palladium H2 filters are too fragile (sensitive to NVH damage) and expensive (palladium is USD$2600/oz) for long term high volume use in cars. FCEVs in their current conception are unicorn play toys for people, governments and NGOs with more money than sense. Hold my beer certainly applies here. EDIT: the new membrane fuel cell technology used in the Mirai is an improvement to the old hot-box-o-tubes in terms of mechanical stability, but it still carries all the other hydrogen energy source baggage. Gas phase energy has a long way to go to overcome liquid phase energy storage.

As a FL resident, I can't see any "regular joe" consciously willing to bury the bum-end of their $100k+ 4WD BEV pickup truck in salt-water at a boat ramp to haul a boat on a trailer. Is <manufacturer> gonna cover that with warranty? It's bad enough that they already put emissions control and fuel pump electronics down into the wet nether regions of modern trucks.

As to BEVs and infrastructure maturity, I can't practically see how a million people will be able to evacuate a hurricane and charge up their 200-300mile range vehicles full of precious cargo all at the same time on I-95 and I-75. This is my test, and presently the charging capacity math is a fail. 200 extra miles of range costs me a pair of 5 gallon jerry cans in the trunk ($150), and I can't do that today with solid state energy at any price. It probably will continue this way for at least 1 or 2 more generations. Doesn't stop people (including me) from considering a BEV in their household, but it will stop me from complete adoption away from liquid hydrocarbons as my preferred vehicle energy source.

Some day yeah solid state storage will overtake liquid hydrocarbons and provide a significant incentive for meaningful long-term changes vehicle energy distribution & infrastructure conversion, but probably not in my lifetime.

Last edited by Gunkk; 07-06-2022 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Added comment re: PEMs
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:49 PM   #8412
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
I don't see the truck genre converting to electric. There will be initial interest in EV trucks, but for total utilization of loading, mile duration and availability of fuel and the time it takes to re-fuel, IMO most users will stay with ICE trucks.
At this moment, ICE trucks and SUVs are the most profitable products within GM.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:56 AM   #8413
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
I don't see the truck genre converting to electric. There will be initial interest in EV trucks, but for total utilization of loading, mile duration and availability of fuel and the time it takes to re-fuel, IMO most users will stay with ICE trucks.
At this moment, ICE trucks and SUVs are the most profitable products within GM.
I actually think if the automakers went EV with the SUVs first that would have made more sense. I mean, for as much as people say most trucks haul nothing but air the amount of Tahoes, Suburbans, Expeditions, Yukons I see hauling nothing but kids to school I would think an EV of those would make more sense then going truck first.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:14 AM   #8414
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
https://www.gm-trucks.com/2024-gmc-a...totype-bigger/

2024 Acadia

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions