Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-01-2019, 06:07 PM   #155
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
It's also a lot like a lifelong smoker switching to chewing tobacco. It's not that chewing tobacco isn't bad, but it's way better for the lungs.

In the same way, we've released too much carbon from burning fossil fuels so we need to do what we can to reduce CO2 specifically. EVs might do this to some degree, but it's very complicated to calculate, and there are certainly significant environmental impacts related to rare earth and cobalt mining required for EVs. I think it could go either way, a Tesla Model S charged using fossil fuel power plants is likely to produce more CO2 vs a smaller ICE car. Cars like the Volt and Bolt are far more environmentally friendly vs a Tesla.

What makes sense to me is NOT cars like Tesla, but small, short-range city-cars that are relatively inexpensive to buy and operate that would be primary transportation. If cars like this are available at low prices and conventional ICE vehicles are very expensive to drive, then people will buy and drive the EV because it will save them a significant amount of money. IMO, this is the only scenario that works. Maybe I'd still have a Camaro or Silverado, I just wouldn't drive them as much.

EVs are the future, but we desperately need a better batteries, imo... it's hard to believe we've been working on batteries and fuel cells for so long with so little to show for it vs other tech. I mean, it's far better vs NiCad but look at TVs and computers and how much better they've gotten in the last 30 years.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:13 PM   #156
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
The problem isn't paper or plastic or electric engines or gasoline engines...the problem is overpopulation...
Yup. But there is a solution! Get rid of poverty and outdated religious ideas. When these issues are mostly solved the population stabilizes or even declines as has been shown in recent years, I think Denmark and Japan are examples.

We have failed to address this issue, and it really is the problem imo.

How much more CO2 is released in choosing a Camaro vs a Camry vs having kids? Just something to think about...
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:31 PM   #157
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado57 View Post
I did speak to a few. I've also driven a friend's Chevy Bolt. The Bolt was fun and fast!

The biggest beef (aside from the price tag of the cars) is the lack of driving range. I agree that more and faster charging stations are coming, and the range will eventually improve. But bottom line, we're not there yet. When we are, I'll consider an all-electric car. Until then, fill 'er up.

PS... the infrastructure for EV repairs - especially Teslas - is wafer thin. Expect your Tesla to be tied up in the shop for a good long time if you ever have an accident. One of the many reasons I got the Camaro instead of a BMW 4 series convertible is the dealer network. Even in far-flung areas you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Chevy dealer. Not so much for BMW.
The funny part is that due to the small tank, my Lacrosse has about the same range as a Bolt and Tesla. Pure highway my Lacrosse would touch 30 mpg but around town, 13 gallon tank, 22 mpg...…

You keep focusing on Tesla TODAY. Audi, MB and Jaguar just or are about to launch. My point is this landscape is very dynamic. Oh yeah and that sweet Porsche Taycan is coming very soon.

2 years from now it will look much different.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:32 PM   #158
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
Not discounting the issue of the visibility, but that didn't stop the 5th gen from selling like hot cakes. The media has been complaining about the visibility since 2010.
Yes, and other than over the hood they made it worse for the Gen6.

Also, I'm not sure I'd call the Gen5 selling like Hot Cakes. It sold well in an extended 2010 MY and not too great after that.

Now compared to the Gen6???? I'll give you a comparative Hot Cakes.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:05 PM   #159
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
The funny part is that due to the small tank, my Lacrosse has about the same range as a Bolt and Tesla. Pure highway my Lacrosse would touch 30 mpg but around town, 13 gallon tank, 22 mpg...…

You keep focusing on Tesla TODAY. Audi, MB and Jaguar just or are about to launch. My point is this landscape is very dynamic. Oh yeah and that sweet Porsche Taycan is coming very soon.

2 years from now it will look much different.
Our new LaCrosse just returned from a 1,000 mile break-in trip and averaged about 37 mpg.

Like I said in my post, we're not there yet. When we are, I'll be interested.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:23 PM   #160
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Has anyone heard any new updates on Gen7 Camaro?

I only ask since apparently Ford accidentally leaked that S650 is indeed happening in CY2022 as MY2023.

https://youtu.be/3CIeur7h4F4

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...ching-in-2022/
Old 02-09-2020, 09:27 PM   #161
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Yup. But there is a solution! Get rid of poverty and outdated religious ideas. When these issues are mostly solved the population stabilizes or even declines as has been shown in recent years, I think Denmark and Japan are examples.

We have failed to address this issue, and it really is the problem imo.

How much more CO2 is released in choosing a Camaro vs a Camry vs having kids? Just something to think about...
not to worry,the chinese flu is going to take care of overpopulation...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:34 PM   #162
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
Has anyone heard any new updates on Gen7 Camaro?

I only ask since apparently Ford accidentally leaked that S650 is indeed happening in CY2022 as MY2023.

https://youtu.be/3CIeur7h4F4

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...ching-in-2022/
A lot of discussion of this on M6G. This is actually nothing new. Keep in mind that S550 and S650 are PROGRAM codes, not PLATFORM codes. As example, Alpha is a PLATFORM code. A1BC is the PROGRAM code for 6th Gen Camaro. A1BL was the PROGRAM code for ATS Coupe, A1SL for ATS Sedan. CT4 is A2SL.

So for Mustang, D2C is the platform that S550 is on. S650 will be on the same platform. Expect different front and rear fascia, maybe some different wheel choices. Not much else, definitely nothing structural. Ford will likely move Mustang to CD6 platform in 2025 - 26. That’s when big changes should be expected.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:28 AM   #163
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I thought this thread was long gone and put to bed! Guess someone revived it!
Old 02-10-2020, 09:56 AM   #164
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
Ford accidentally leaked that S650 is indeed happening in CY2022 as MY2023.
Was there ever really any doubt though? Ford is doubling down on the Mustang name as its own sub-brand. There will always be a performance vehicle acting as the halo car. The Sxxx designation likely isn't going anywhere any time soon and might even branch out into multiple vehicles.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:41 AM   #165
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
A lot of discussion of this on M6G. This is actually nothing new. Keep in mind that S550 and S650 are PROGRAM codes, not PLATFORM codes. As example, Alpha is a PLATFORM code. A1BC is the PROGRAM code for 6th Gen Camaro. A1BL was the PROGRAM code for ATS Coupe, A1SL for ATS Sedan. CT4 is A2SL.

So for Mustang, D2C is the platform that S550 is on. S650 will be on the same platform. Expect different front and rear fascia, maybe some different wheel choices. Not much else, definitely nothing structural. Ford will likely move Mustang to CD6 platform in 2025 - 26. That’s when big changes should be expected.
So basically going to be a heavily reworked S550 style wise....so like the difference between a SN95 and new edge? Both were still on Fox4. Essentially all new sheetmetal but relatively still the same?
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #166
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
So basically going to be a heavily reworked S550 style wise....so like the difference between a SN95 and new edge? Both were still on Fox4. Essentially all new sheetmetal but relatively still the same?
That’s what we’re tracking. They could also do some cool things with the interior, options packages, maybe carry over some Shelby stuff to Mustang GT models <cough> Tremec MT <cough>.

This is essentially the “extra” mid-cycle enhancement they alluded to when they said they were delaying next-gen to 2026. There’s room for a lot of cool stuff, including hybrid content, but anyone looking for an all new chassis will likely be very disappointed.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:02 AM   #167
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
That’s what we’re tracking. They could also do some cool things with the interior, options packages, maybe carry over some Shelby stuff to Mustang GT models <cough> Tremec MT <cough>.

This is essentially the “extra” mid-cycle enhancement they alluded to when they said they were delaying next-gen to 2026. There’s room for a lot of cool stuff, including hybrid content, but anyone looking for an all new chassis will likely be very disappointed.
Good to know, thanks for the insight as always!
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:29 AM   #168
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
This is essentially the “extra” mid-cycle enhancement they alluded to when they said they were delaying next-gen to 2026.

Do you think the timing the next gen mustang anticipates a 7th gen Camaro on VSS-R?
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote