Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 03-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #15
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
What's the consensus for tire pressures for the stock P-Zeros? I've done the shoe polish thing and 36 psi cold seems to be pretty good for rollover. What's been your experience?

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:55 PM   #16
NJ Drive
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 1SS 1LE white
There's a method to the madness certainly.

-Stay relaxed.
Breathe! This is supposed to be fun.

-Keep your eyes 'UP'
and look ahead during the entire run. You cannot have a good, fast run if you don't know where you're going.

-Soft hands. Smooth inputs. Stay on line.
So many people I instruct are either too harsh with the brakes/throttle, have a death grip on the wheel or just not aggressive enough at all. Fast runs come from those who are almost boring to watch behind the wheel because there is no drama. If your pushing wide or going sideways, you're most likely off-line and adding time.

-Course memory.
Either walk the course alone or walk along with like-minded individuals who are there to win. Chatting to friends about what you guys did last night does nothing to help burn key elements of the course into your head.

-Ask for an instructor.
Swallow your pride and ask for an experienced driver to either drive your car or ride along with you. It will give you something to shoot for as well as provide firsthand tutelage to what makes this sport so much fun!!
NJ Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:08 PM   #17
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro69 View Post
What's the consensus for tire pressures for the stock P-Zeros? I've done the shoe polish thing and 36 psi cold seems to be pretty good for rollover. What's been your experience?
It's been a long time since I ran those, but I think we were running them down at 32-33lbs.....they seemed to grip better with less air....
Old 03-28-2014, 04:24 AM   #18
Gen52SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I've only been to 2 events for far and used the shoe polish thing. Outside air temp at race time was in the range of about 60 to 65 degrees....tires cold set at 38 then dropped down to 37. Sitting on the grid with the sun right sides go up several lbs. Have seen some using tires covers to shade their tires from the heat of the sun. I'm still learning and still trying different air pressure and different levels of fuel in the gas tank. Full my first time out 3/4 my second. I don't know if this has come up before but what do some of you run? Near full or as little as you can or something in the middle? Or does it matter?
Gen52SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #19
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
There is a lot of good advise in this thread; nicely done OP! These cars do have some short comings but seat time is the most important thing especially when you're getting started. Once you start getting after it you'll find the weak points and balance issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVThis View Post
What are your thoughts on alignment specs? I'm thinking somewhere around -2*front, 0 toe. Rear, somewhere around -1*, .15 total toe in. I wish someone who has run a stock set could chime in and tell me what really works well.

Let me know your thoughts from the first event. Hopefully it will be warm enough to get some heat in the tires. What dealer do you work for?
I would run -2.0* to -2.2* F with 1/16" toe-in and 1.2* with zero toe in the rear to start.

Quote:
I used to run them at 28-30 PSI but I think 30-32 PSI is optimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen52SS View Post
I've only been to 2 events for far and used the shoe polish thing. Outside air temp at race time was in the range of about 60 to 65 degrees....tires cold set at 38 then dropped down to 37. Sitting on the grid with the sun right sides go up several lbs. Have seen some using tires covers to shade their tires from the heat of the sun. I'm still learning and still trying different air pressure and different levels of fuel in the gas tank. Full my first time out 3/4 my second. I don't know if this has come up before but what do some of you run? Near full or as little as you can or something in the middle? Or does it matter?
I prefer to stay at 1/2 tank or less. The weight of the fuel is justified towards the rear which induces more understeer. I find my fastest times are with 1/4 tank or less.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote