Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-10-2015, 01:49 AM   #169
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
To give a good idea of what the weight penalty is for the Cadillac ATS (I find this to be pertinent as they will both be on the alpha platform) for AWD.

The ATS with the 3.6L engine has a base weight with no options of 3,461 pounds. When you add AWD to this vehicle the base weight is listed as 3,629, this is a difference of over 100 pounds. To be exact it is a difference of 168 pounds of weight, you can look at other vehicles which are offered in both RWD trim and in AWD trim to see their weight gain.

If you are looking at vehicles like the Porsche 918 or the Mclaren P1 (don't know why you would) then you have to take into account that those are not typical AWD vehicles. If you look at even a Porsche 911 turbo for example there is a driver shaft feeding to the front of the car to a differential sending power via half shafts to each front wheel (the rear engine layout makes the 911 platform uniquely perfect for AWD). The Mclaren P1 only sends power from its engine to the rear wheels, it sends power to the front wheels via batteries, some cords, and electric motors. In other words with a setup like that it doesn't have as big of a weight penalty from the drivetrain itself (though adds weight from the electric motor/s and batteries). Honda has gone this route for its NSX and you can find pictures of the drive train naked for a good example.

Also based on the laws of physics if you have more mass to move (in this case spin) it is going to take more power to spin it. This is why AWD vehicles are not only heavier then their RWD counterparts they also have lower fuel economy ratings (BMW 328i is rated 23/35 328i X drive is 22/33).

Where AWD would pertain to the Camaro is with the all important marketing 0-60 times, stop light to stop light, and 1/4 mile drag racing. The reality is all things being equal while these setups perform well there would actually do poorly from a roll race due to traction limits being reduced. AWD also doesn't improve handling characteristics of a car (don't care what anyone says more mass and greater losses doesn't improve handling). Firstly the best handling cars in the world are RWD and not AWD, as fast as cars like the Mclaren P1, Porsche 918, and Ferrari LaFerrari are they are beaten on tracks by track special (which are street legal in some countries) that have a fraction of the power and an even smaller fraction of the cost. That doesn't mean that you can not make an AWD track car and be successful with it, in a perfect worlds with all things being equal you couldn't however all things are never equal. Also considering that those hyper cars have a combined (engine and electric) horsepower of around 900BHP. Take a C7 Z06 and push its engine to 900BHP and watch how fast of a lap time it puts down.

It is true that it has become increasingly popular of a trend to offer AWD for performance cars. Should the Camaro join the ranks on this one? honestly there is no real reason for them to do so. 450BHP today isn't so much power with modern tire technology that it can't possibly put the power to the ground. Truth is no one has compared a stock 545BHP R35 GTR to one of the GTRs altered to be RWD and only have that mod done to see how the whole picture would look like. In otherwords there isn't really a scientific way for us to compare how the GTR will perform without its AWD system. Yes it isn't going to have that 2.9 seconds from 0-60 time, however with less mass, and lower losses it should be able to get around corners faster.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:24 AM   #170
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Bleh...not a fan.
I'm not really sold on these wheels either.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:05 AM   #171
Turbo_J89

Drives: 2015 BVM Camaro 1LE (2SS/RS)
Looks good! I like these better than the 5th gen wheels. Just my opinion of course.
Turbo_J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:42 AM   #172
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
[QUOTE=Bhobbs;8350597]Not a fan of the wheels.

I agree,
Not liking the wheels. I really like the polished aluminum ZL1 wheels. I hope the Gen 5 wheels will fit on the GEN 6.
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:10 AM   #173
Inferno Orange 2SS-RS
US Army Retired

Drives: IOM 2SS-RS - A6 (L99)
Look like BMW wheels on the 550i M package.
Attached Images

Inferno Orange 2SS-RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:19 AM   #174
ThaCamaroKid

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
I'm surprised so many people are upset about the wheels?

Personally I think they look great, but how the car wears them is a difference story. Hopefully they look great on the car!

I cannot make out the tire size sadly, picture isn't that high of quality :(

375RWHP/399RWTQ
ThaCamaroKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:21 AM   #175
ThaCamaroKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
To give a good idea of what the weight penalty is for the Cadillac ATS (I find this to be pertinent as they will both be on the alpha platform) for AWD.

The ATS with the 3.6L engine has a base weight with no options of 3,461 pounds. When you add AWD to this vehicle the base weight is listed as 3,629, this is a difference of over 100 pounds. To be exact it is a difference of 168 pounds of weight, you can look at other vehicles which are offered in both RWD trim and in AWD trim to see their weight gain.

If you are looking at vehicles like the Porsche 918 or the Mclaren P1 (don't know why you would) then you have to take into account that those are not typical AWD vehicles. If you look at even a Porsche 911 turbo for example there is a driver shaft feeding to the front of the car to a differential sending power via half shafts to each front wheel (the rear engine layout makes the 911 platform uniquely perfect for AWD). The Mclaren P1 only sends power from its engine to the rear wheels, it sends power to the front wheels via batteries, some cords, and electric motors. In other words with a setup like that it doesn't have as big of a weight penalty from the drivetrain itself (though adds weight from the electric motor/s and batteries). Honda has gone this route for its NSX and you can find pictures of the drive train naked for a good example.

Also based on the laws of physics if you have more mass to move (in this case spin) it is going to take more power to spin it. This is why AWD vehicles are not only heavier then their RWD counterparts they also have lower fuel economy ratings (BMW 328i is rated 23/35 328i X drive is 22/33).

Where AWD would pertain to the Camaro is with the all important marketing 0-60 times, stop light to stop light, and 1/4 mile drag racing. The reality is all things being equal while these setups perform well there would actually do poorly from a roll race due to traction limits being reduced. AWD also doesn't improve handling characteristics of a car (don't care what anyone says more mass and greater losses doesn't improve handling). Firstly the best handling cars in the world are RWD and not AWD, as fast as cars like the Mclaren P1, Porsche 918, and Ferrari LaFerrari are they are beaten on tracks by track special (which are street legal in some countries) that have a fraction of the power and an even smaller fraction of the cost. That doesn't mean that you can not make an AWD track car and be successful with it, in a perfect worlds with all things being equal you couldn't however all things are never equal. Also considering that those hyper cars have a combined (engine and electric) horsepower of around 900BHP. Take a C7 Z06 and push its engine to 900BHP and watch how fast of a lap time it puts down.

It is true that it has become increasingly popular of a trend to offer AWD for performance cars. Should the Camaro join the ranks on this one? honestly there is no real reason for them to do so. 450BHP today isn't so much power with modern tire technology that it can't possibly put the power to the ground. Truth is no one has compared a stock 545BHP R35 GTR to one of the GTRs altered to be RWD and only have that mod done to see how the whole picture would look like. In otherwords there isn't really a scientific way for us to compare how the GTR will perform without its AWD system. Yes it isn't going to have that 2.9 seconds from 0-60 time, however with less mass, and lower losses it should be able to get around corners faster.
I can't help but nail you on this one, the P1 is RWD only. Not AWD. Ever.

Diagram for giggles.
Attached Images

375RWHP/399RWTQ
Old 04-10-2015, 08:25 AM   #176
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaCamaroKid View Post
I'm surprised so many people are upset about the wheels?

Personally I think they look great, but how the car wears them is a difference story. Hopefully they look great on the car!

I cannot make out the tire size sadly, picture isn't that high of quality :(
I know, I like the wheels too! I just hope there's a painted black finish option. I can't wait to see the (over)reaction to the new taillights when those are revealed...
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #177
High Magnitude

Drives: 2014 2LT Camaro
I think these wheels are freaking amazing. Real winners. Great job to the person that created them.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:30 AM   #178
ThaCamaroKid

[QUOTE=v8;8352958]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Not a fan of the wheels.

I agree,
Not liking the wheels. I really like the polished aluminum ZL1 wheels. I hope the Gen 5 wheels will fit on the GEN 6.
I can understand thinking they look better. But why would you want to put heavy 20" wheels on the new 6th gen Camaro? You do realize stock SS wheels weigh 31 lbs F 33 lbs R which is absolutely absurd and a really good way to slow a new car down.

The ONLY 5th gen wheels that are any good are the black ZL1/1LE wheels which are actually respectable on the scales...

375RWHP/399RWTQ
Old 04-10-2015, 08:31 AM   #179
ThaCamaroKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgnxs View Post
I know, I like the wheels too! I just hope there's a painted black finish option. I can't wait to see the (over)reaction to the new taillights when those are revealed...
No joke... some people will literally cry about however the tail lights turn out... Like the C7 tail lights 'omg they aren't circles '

375RWHP/399RWTQ
Old 04-10-2015, 08:33 AM   #180
ThaCamaroKid

Quote:
Judging by what they have done with the C7 I'm assuming the wheels will come in polished aluminum, dark grey, and gloss black. They seem to be getting more versatile in customization of a new car realizing how much people want to do it to their cars anyhow.

I'm hoping for red/yellow interior stitching options...

375RWHP/399RWTQ
Old 04-10-2015, 08:39 AM   #181
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaCamaroKid View Post
No joke... some people will literally cry about however the tail lights turn out... Like the C7 tail lights 'omg they aren't circles '
I personally love the C7 tailights. A red stitching option would be really sharp! I know the BRZ had it standard, I haven't checked those out in a while so I don't know if it's still standard.
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:48 AM   #182
ThaCamaroKid

Quote:
I personally love the C7 tailights. A red stitching option would be really sharp! I know the BRZ had it standard, I haven't checked those out in a while so I don't know if it's still standard.
Yeah I loved the C7 lights as well, I think the BRZ probably still does

I wouldn't want it standard because not everybody cares for it, but an option red or yellow, maybe laguna blue would be awesome. My silver stitching gets boring I really want to dye it red

375RWHP/399RWTQ