#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 12-10-2017, 10:19 PM   #1
Firehead640
DEVLMAN

Drives: White 2018 ZL1
Prospective 2018 ZL1 owner

Hey there gents! I took the time while I waited for my account to be activated to do some reading. Decent amount of information, and obviously some really nice rides. I'll get down to it, though.

Currently I own a 2015 Challenger SRT 392. Modded it quite a bit as I've owned it. I really like the car, but it just isn't doing it for me anymore. Recently I drove a 1SS for giggles and to get it out of my system. Well that didn't work... now I want a Camaro. Even the 1SS felt like I was in a fighter jet.

So now I seek to wet my feet in the Chevy world with a ZL1. I'm about to begin the hunt for the best deal, already having a solid idea of what I want. Automatic 10 seems to be superior and I don't see the reason to get the manual unless I'm getting the 1LE package. That's a bit too rich for my blood, and won't suit me well here in Arizona. MSRP is at about 66k.

With all that being said I just have a couple questions.

What are you guys paying for your ZL1s out the door? I got a smoking deal on my SRT, but it seems like those deals are hard to find anymore. What are we talking in terms of "discount"? I paid 51k out the door for my SRT, which is basically MSRP nowadays.

Second question, what are some of the problems you have encountered with dealerships? I know a ton about Dodge dealerships, can I expect the same crap like "paint protection" packages, nitrogen filled tires, stuff like that? I've already encountered the "well, you're going to pay a little above MSRP because of what it is" that some other dealership tried to pull on me.

Are there any options that might come up that I should avoid? Seems like you can buy a bunch of extra crap. On the flip side, anything that is a good idea to get?

Finally, if I do decide to go this route when I pick the car is delivered to me, is there anything I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks for reading, looking forward to your replies.
Firehead640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:27 AM   #2
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I too am looking at 2018 ZL1 auto and really don’t see the value in any option besides the auto trans. You may have to order one to keep the price down. The car comes pretty loaded and you can by any accessories cheaper online after you buy the car. You just have to stand your ground on any added stuff the dealer may try to add before purchase.

As far as getting a good deal, there’s no reason you shouldn’t be able at a minimum to get supplier, which is a layout a $2400 discount off list on an auto only option car. If the dealers in your area won’t work with you many owners have to go out of state to buy.
DangerZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:55 AM   #3
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
See this post for an excellent new car acceptance checklist.

Also I'd recommend doing the homework to figure out taxes and title fees in your state and doing the math and bringing it with you. That way when the dealer starts playing cash-back rebate games with you you don't make a $500 mistake at the last minute when your adrenaline is up.

If you go the SS route and are a current Chevy owner (1999 or newer) you qualify for the employee discount deal they're currently advertising. Unfortunately it says nothing about ZL1 discounts, but you can see what the dealer will do.

IIRC, Chevy's fiscal 2nd quarter ends Dec 31st, so they may have some decent unpublished factory to dealer incentives you could leverage.

Join the National Corvette Museum for $50, and you can get the supplier discount.

When I bought mine back in July, there were 7 red hot convertibles available nationally and 3 in the Southeast US. I got internet pricing from the nearest 5 (from NJ, TX, GA, and 2 in FL) and then started working on the nearest 3 dealers. My final price was $4k below MSRP including all dealer fees, title, etc., but before state tax, which got me back to MSRP out the door. Not the best deal anyone has gotten ever on a ZL1, but it was the best deal I could get for a brand new 50th year 2017 red hot convertible ZL1 with 5 miles in July.

And it was totally worth every penny!

re: Options to get
If you go coupe - get the PDR without a doubt. Even though I use Waze via Android Auto, I like having the Navi option, since it shows the speed limit of the road you're currently on in the Hud and in the center dash LCD display. The ZL1 logo floor mats are worth buying, and you can get them for $135 on line, which is close to dealer invoice price, so don't pay more than that. I bought a set of Husky all weather mats for the beach.

re: Options to avoid.
There are no factory options to avoid IMHO, other than maybe stripes (which are $500 stickers you will want to peel off). Most dealers won't install too many options locally because most folks won't want to pay for them.

re: Options that are totally personal preference
I ended up without the exposed carbon fiber weave hood insert, and am really happy with it. The Mosaic Black metallic paint on the painted insert matches the splitter, grille, and side rockers. It looks brilliant in direct sunlight. Unlike the carbon series corvette, the only exposed CF available from the factory on the exterior of the ZL1 Camaro is the hood insert, it kinda sticks out and is not balanced with the rest of the car.

Before you buy the car, get a quote from the best paint protection/detailer in your area and have it wrapped in a good self-healing premium paint protection film and then coated with a durable hydrophobic coating. Don't pay to put ceramic coating on top of film, but do put ceramic coating on any areas NOT covered by film. With the dust you guys have out there, you'll probably want to film the whole car. The front end of the ZL1 is particularly hard to do with film... so you want someone has done it before. Have them wrap and tuck all the edges, remove the hood insert and logos. It'll cost more but it'll look brilliant and you won't have to worry about dust collecting at the edges.

Last edited by Gunkk; 12-11-2017 at 04:19 AM.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:46 AM   #4
Boo

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Grey
I paid 71k all said n done. After a 1k rebate. I have pretty much everything except a sunroof. If you are going for speed and performance max...go coup and A10. One thong i regret....not geting paint protection! Not to say you need GMs. Just research where you can get a good vinyl wrap before you buy the car. Have it properly clay barred (will prob look swirly from dealer....their detail guys are the worst....scratches swirls everywhere) and detailed... Then wrapped. This car picks up rock chips like crazy. Just like previous post....this is a must do. You are gonna love the car! Also there is an issue with the stabilizer arms on the sway bars...bolts not torqued enough....starts rattling. Maybe they have fixed this for 2018...but id ask. Easy fix but lots of people have had this issue. I will bet the car exceeds even your loftier expectations.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:05 AM   #5
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehead640 View Post
Hey there gents! I took the time while I waited for my account to be activated to do some reading. Decent amount of information, and obviously some really nice rides. I'll get down to it, though.

Currently I own a 2015 Challenger SRT 392. Modded it quite a bit as I've owned it. I really like the car, but it just isn't doing it for me anymore. Recently I drove a 1SS for giggles and to get it out of my system. Well that didn't work... now I want a Camaro. Even the 1SS felt like I was in a fighter jet.

So now I seek to wet my feet in the Chevy world with a ZL1. I'm about to begin the hunt for the best deal, already having a solid idea of what I want. Automatic 10 seems to be superior and I don't see the reason to get the manual unless I'm getting the 1LE package. That's a bit too rich for my blood, and won't suit me well here in Arizona. MSRP is at about 66k.

With all that being said I just have a couple questions.

What are you guys paying for your ZL1s out the door? I got a smoking deal on my SRT, but it seems like those deals are hard to find anymore. What are we talking in terms of "discount"? I paid 51k out the door for my SRT, which is basically MSRP nowadays.

Second question, what are some of the problems you have encountered with dealerships? I know a ton about Dodge dealerships, can I expect the same crap like "paint protection" packages, nitrogen filled tires, stuff like that? I've already encountered the "well, you're going to pay a little above MSRP because of what it is" that some other dealership tried to pull on me.

Are there any options that might come up that I should avoid? Seems like you can buy a bunch of extra crap. On the flip side, anything that is a good idea to get?

Finally, if I do decide to go this route when I pick the car is delivered to me, is there anything I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks for reading, looking forward to your replies.
To start, the 6th gen will indeed be a fighter jet comparison to the Challenger. It's a huge, powerful brute for the kind of car it is. I love the look, love the extra room too. I owned a 5th gen Camaro, and I've done a lot of test driving myself this year, looking at all manner of powerful cars (Hellcats, ZL1s, Corvettes, etc).

The ZL1 I took home was well worth the effort. I managed to score it out the door for $62k - brand new 2018 A10 ZL1 with PDR/Nav/Painted CF Hood cover.

There are a lot of options available to you...and if you're really unsure, I'd recommend talking to beckyD...she's the lady in the know when it comes to Camaro purchasing.

I'd highly recommend the ZL1 to you...you cannot go wrong with it...
Old 12-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #6
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Just to add this...

Red 2018 ZL1 A10 - $60k - 0 miles

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5360/overview/

Arctic Blue ZL1 A10 - 60k - 0 miles

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5362/overview/

Both of these are at Gateway Chevy, which is roughly 25 miles from zip code 85224... and both prices are actually VERY good..
Old 12-11-2017, 09:18 AM   #7
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
I ended up getting close to $5k off my 2018 back in September. That was a Supplier discount, and some extra “Chevy cash” from the dealer. I felt like that was a good deal at the time. You definitely shouldn’t pay any markup on a ZL1.

If you’re really looking for a deal, have you tried looking for leftover 2017s? I’m not sure how many are left out there, but I’m sure they’ll be cheaper than an ‘18.

About the only option I didn’t want was the sunroof. I just like the roofline better without it, and I’m sure it saves a few pounds.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:23 AM   #8
Jmueller

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Gray
You should either wait it out, or find a 2017. I picked up my A10 2017 with PDR and Nav, no sunroof (thank goodness) for 61k. Deals are out there.
Jmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #9
Firehead640
DEVLMAN

Thanks foe the replies so far.

I found the ZL1 I wanted from dealer about 8 miles from me. Problem is they want 70K and it isn't even a 1LE.

When I get home from work today I'll sit down and make some phone calls to the dealers that you guys have linked. Seems like I shouldn't have an issue walking out with a new ZL1 for about 65 all said and done.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:46 AM   #10
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehead640 View Post
Thanks foe the replies so far.

I found the ZL1 I wanted from dealer about 8 miles from me. Problem is they want 70K and it isn't even a 1LE.

When I get home from work today I'll sit down and make some phone calls to the dealers that you guys have linked. Seems like I shouldn't have an issue walking out with a new ZL1 for about 65 all said and done.
I used Cars.com to search for my car, had no problem finding the few I linked up. I capped the range at 100 miles, but you could easily go a bit further out and possibly find one with a better deal. There is ZERO reason to pay 70k for a new ZL1 when you can get them for less than $63k within 25 miles of you...

Unless a very specific color is important or a convertible is your desire that is...
Old 12-11-2017, 10:56 AM   #11
Firehead640
DEVLMAN

Color is slightly negotiable, but not worth 9 Grand. I'm going to call the dealership, or make a visit that has the one I want and lay it all out on the line. We will see if they budge. If not I'll walk, and they lose an easy sale.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:53 AM   #12
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
What you pay is really dealer specific. Some will not even accept supplier discounts. I paid a grand or so off list, but that was when they just started shipping and there were few around. If you are willing to shop around, there are usually dealers who will negotiate and that $5K or so really makes it worth the drive.

As to options, the carbon fiber hood is just for show versus the regular one that doesn't show the weave, but still is so cool, it is worth the cost of the option. Performance data recorder is great for the track or even that drive through the mountains. I love the A10. That is the best option.

I have read that the paint is the weak part of the car. I had the whole front end covered with Xpel including the rockers and carbon fiber hood. I then had the whole thing ceramic coated. 9K miles and not a micro swirl or scratch. The paint is still perfect. That might be worth considering on a $65K car. I heard the carbon fiber hood scratches easily without protection and the front is susceptible to rock chips without protection.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #13
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Paid $67k for mine minus about $3500 in discounts. So, I got a good deal. I was $59k OTD with a few grand down.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:59 PM   #14
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
I’ve had cars shipped across the country in the past. I think last time it was a little over $1000. That was New Hampshire to California in an enclosed trailer. So that’s always an option if the local guys won’t play ball.

Either way, definitely do the supplier discount. A $50 Corvette Museum membership gives you access to it. That’s worth a few grand.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote