Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-06-2017, 11:29 PM   #15
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
Not one of us NEEDS a camaro. Its something that we want so if you can afford it and you want a ZL1, just go buy it. You obviously have absolutely zero plan of attack here so im going to venture a guess and say that you probably dont have a clear cut objective in mind.
nobody really needs any cool cars, we could all be driving smart cars.. but you have to remember..

-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:05 AM   #16
SociallyAwk

Drives: '17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
nobody really needs any cool cars, we could all be driving smart cars.. but you have to remember..

+1
Cars are a passion. Not a necessity
SociallyAwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:46 AM   #17
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by SociallyAwk View Post
Apologies if there is a thread about this (Please link me).

I've been considering a trade on a 2018 ZL1 stickered at 56k
I believe my 1LE is worth about 32-35k (Not sure, as I have 11.6k miles and I drive A LOT, so it increases fast). I have 35k left to make on payments.
I originally wanted to keep this car forever and pass it down a generation or two, as it's my first car and my dream car.
Lots of sentiment here.. But my original plan was to go fully built motor and maybe eventually add single/twin turbos.
I understand that in that build, I'll be over ZL1 pricing.
Should I hunker down and just trade upwards? I'm no good at math- so maybe with my trade, I'll have ended up losing more money vs keeping it and sticking with my build goals.

I'm just throwing around the thought at this point, so I don't have any solid info or thoughts. I'd appreciate everyone's input. Please tell me if this can work or if it's just dumb.
There is always something better out there and if you keep chasing the latest and greatest you will incur the financial beating. I used to chase the latest and greatest myself but I finally decided to go the otherway after loosing thousands on thousands.

If you want a ZL1 wait another 6-months and you will find them lightly used in the mid to upper 40s. Let somebody else take the depreciation hit.

I have changed, sure I wanted the new 1LE, Scatpack, and now GT, but all of these would have resulted in financial pain when it came time to sell. I decided to chase the past heros at much better prices. I look for cars where the original owner has already taken the depreciation beating.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:47 AM   #18
Selo

Drives: Shelby GT500, Boxster Spyder
Have you modded cars before? Mods increase performance, but they also create more compromises than a stock set up. First of all, they usually void warranty to some degree. Second, they might increase power but kill gas mileage. Or increase handling limits but cause a few clunks or rattles. If you're after worry free reliability, go with the best stock set up you can afford. ZL1.
Selo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:31 AM   #19
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selo View Post
Have you modded cars before? Mods increase performance, but they also create more compromises than a stock set up. First of all, they usually void warranty to some degree. Second, they might increase power but kill gas mileage. Or increase handling limits but cause a few clunks or rattles. If you're after worry free reliability, go with the best stock set up you can afford. ZL1.
The main issue is that when you increase the performance on one part of the car, you often have to beef up a bunch of other parts of the car to handle the extra power, stuff that people sometimes don't even think about. ZL1 is heavier and has more power, so it has bigger brakes than the SS1LE, even though they are similar, drivetrain, suspension rates, all sorts of stuff. The SS 1LE is very competent and may not need as much as others in this regard, but you just don't add a blower and have "the same car" either.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:12 PM   #20
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Even if you buy the ZL1 or mod your own car, there's always someone faster out there including maybe a turbo'd 944. You never know what the other guy's running. That being said, the ZL1 is faster than most other cars on the street. Either way, I'd buy a ZL1 over modding your 1LE. You're almost always better off with a factory car that meets your performance objectives than to spend probably more $$ trying to make your car equal one that needs nothing done to it. The biggest change in daily driving you'll get from the ZL1 over your 1LE is the low end torque increase, which will make it more fun to drive.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:27 PM   #21
Magsz

Drives: 17 1SS 1LE
Im going to go out on a limb here and offer up an unsolicited judgement.

If you are buying a car to be faster than the next guy on the street you are extremely selfish. Public roads are no place for racing.

We live in South Florida, we have no back roads where you can adequately exercise 800 horsepower let alone 455 horsepower and come close to the speed limits. I know that you're twenty one and you think you're invincible but you have A LOT of growing up to do.

This is me wagging my finger at you as a Deputy who has seen the results of inexperience far too much.

Please don't be a statistic. Please be safe.

Last edited by Magsz; 12-08-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Magsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:52 PM   #22
R.C. Collins

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Florida... not too many mountainous roads there. It sounds like acceleration is your main concern, so get the ZL1 if you can afford it. Me; i live surrounded by incredible twisty mountain roads, so the 1LE is my huckleberry.
R.C. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:23 PM   #23
SociallyAwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
Im going to go out on a limb here and offer up an unsolicited judgement.

If you are buying a car to be faster than the next guy on the street you are extremely selfish. Public roads are no place for racing.

We live in South Florida, we have no back roads where you can adequately exercise 800 horsepower let alone 455 horsepower and come close to the speed limits. I know that you're twenty one and you think you're invincible but you have A LOT of growing up to do.

This is me wagging my finger at your as a Deputy who has seen the results of inexperience far too much.

Please don't be a statistic. Please be safe.
I really appreciate your concern for my safety. Thank you sincerely. However, you shouldn't assume anything. None of what you said applies to me. I've already been in my accidents. I'm the furthest thing from invincible. I'm not buying my car or any car to be faster than a guy down the street. I already told you, it's for ME.

I value your wisdom. Thank you for your input.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:26 PM   #24
SociallyAwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.C. Collins View Post
Florida... not too many mountainous roads there. It sounds like acceleration is your main concern, so get the ZL1 if you can afford it. Me; i live surrounded by incredible twisty mountain roads, so the 1LE is my huckleberry.
Haha I've got quite a few spots that aren't populated and are twisty turny. Nothing compared to a mountain road, but fun nonetheless. The only reason I want acceleration is for coming out of a corner as quick and efficient as possible. Don't care about anything past an eighth of a mile.

I envy your location! I'm headed to California on the 14th. I have so many road-goals haha, can't wait to experience them.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:29 PM   #25
SociallyAwk

Thank you all for your suggestions and thoughts! I think I'll stay N/A with a fully built motor and purchase a used ZL1 when it's time like newmoon said. That will be the daily. I'll keep my 1LE as a project car and eventually turn it into something outrageous, come boredom.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:41 PM   #26
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Thank you all for your suggestions and thoughts! I think I'll stay N/A with a fully built motor and purchase a used ZL1 when it's time like newmoon said. That will be the daily. I'll keep my 1LE as a project car and eventually turn it into something outrageous, come boredom.
thats what i plan to do. build the SS NA to 500WHP and drive her till I have the pink in my hand lol, then go shopping for a "lightly" used krypton green ZL1 when they are in the 30-40k range.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:14 AM   #27
SociallyAwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
thats what i plan to do. build the SS NA to 500WHP and drive her till I have the pink in my hand lol, then go shopping for a "lightly" used krypton green ZL1 when they are in the 30-40k range.
Great minds (;
Old 12-08-2017, 12:18 AM   #28
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Great minds (;
Think alike