Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-07-2015, 10:31 PM   #1
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Question Visibility issue improved?

I was days away from getting a Mustang GT 2016 premium before I started reading about Camaros.

One thing that gets me though, and I am bordering on ordering very soon, is the visibility complaints from 2015 models and below. I did some googling and apparently the visibility is improved but has anyone here actually sat in one? Do we really have to wait for the 16th for the motortrend review?

Also, really sucks that this is hitting the lots in Nov/possibly Dec. Especially considering my state!!
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:35 AM   #2
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
The dash sits lower and the a pillars are slightly thinner, so forward visibility should be improved.

I daily drive my Camaro since 2012, it's really a non issue, you just have to be more careful with the a pillar and c pillar blind spots. Though properly adjusted side mirrors will get rid of the majority of the rear blind spots.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:02 AM   #3
Chad0311
Likes V8 powered vehicles

Drives: '16 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whis View Post
I was days away from getting a Mustang GT 2016 premium before I started reading about Camaros.

One thing that gets me though, and I am bordering on ordering very soon, is the visibility complaints from 2015 models and below. I did some googling and apparently the visibility is improved but has anyone here actually sat in one? Do we really have to wait for the 16th for the motortrend review?

Also, really sucks that this is hitting the lots in Nov/possibly Dec. Especially considering my state!!

Hey there. I also came close to picking up a GT mustang with all of the rebates and 0% financing that was going on. I think the wait it going to be well worth it for the Camaro.

As far as the 16th for the MT review, yes. GM set a press embargo and it ends on the 16th. There should be plenty to read though and hopefully a good head to head between the stang and Camaro. I'd wait for that and see where you stand.

Cheers Dude!
Chad0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:22 AM   #4
EE7

Drives: New
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whis View Post

I think all of the complaining about poor visibility is blown way out of proportion. When I got my camaro it took a few days to adjust and there was no problem after that. Adjust your mirrors properly and as said above visibility problems become a non-issue.
EE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:37 AM   #5
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EE7 View Post
I think all of the complaining about poor visibility is blown way out of proportion. When I got my camaro it took a few days to adjust and there was no problem after that. Adjust your mirrors properly and as said above visibility problems become a non-issue.
Back when I was shopping for cars (mid 2011) I test drove the SS, Challenger SRT, and new 5.0. The blindspots definitely make an impression on you that the SS is harder to see out of than the others. I have a buddy at work that has a 2013 SS and I've been bugging him about daily driver facts for a while now. As mentioned, once you get the mirrors set, it's not as bad as people make it out. Add in the 2LT / 2SS get all the driver aids, and I think it'll be a non-issue for most common sense people. That said, I'm sure fanboys will blow it out of proportion to make their point, just like every other minor thing.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:32 AM   #6
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Visibility in the Gen 5 is not overblown. It is merely something one gets used to. And in a great car you don't have to get used to things. There are no compromises.

I've driven a bunch of Gen 5s, and as mentioned the cowl is very high because the car is based on the Zeta architecture. because of that the fenders are high and it is extremely difficult to see over the hood particularly the RH front.

The rear window is a joke as the back end is even higher than the front and the rear quarter windows are not much help.

The belt line on a Gen 5 is so high that it's uncomfortable for me to rest my arm on the door while driving because my elbow is higher than my shoulder.

GM, for some reason, loves this slammed roof, high belt look. It make for nice pictures, but not good visibility.

So don't believe anyone that thinks it "not bad" it is. You just get used to it and ultimately accept it.

Also as mentioned, the cowl is lower and the a-pillars narrower. As long as the driver isn't also lower this should improve front visibility. I haven't sat in a Gen 6, but I think the back looks the same or worse than a Gen 5, but I'm holding judgement.

Coupes are always going to be a bit worse and you have to take very good care to not make them horrible. But is styling is more important, and GM believes it is, you get what you get.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:52 AM   #7
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
I don't think there are many Gen5 owners out there who sat in/drove Gen6 yet, to give you a meaningful comparison.

I think it's better for you to decide if the visibility in Gen6 cockpit is good or bad.
Video posted below is shot from driver's position (it may not be exactly eye level but can give you a good idea I think)

I haven't driven Gen5 so I don't know how bad the visibility is in Gen 5, but I think the problem areas where people complained (thick A-pillar and high dash board) have been addressed (wouldn't say problem solved but GM definitely worked on it) so I hope it wouldn't be too bad.

https://youtu.be/SDuIKbcGzhE
3000: 9/04/15 <TPW:10/19/15>
3800: 10/19/15 <VIN: 117740>
6000: 12/16/15
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:54 AM   #8
huggercamaro21
Sales Manager for Chevy

Drives: Tahoe RST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Visibility in the Gen 5 is not overblown. It is merely something one gets used to. And in a great car you don't have to get used to things. There are no compromises.

I've driven a bunch of Gen 5s, and as mentioned the cowl is very high because the car is based on the Zeta architecture. because of that the fenders are high and it is extremely difficult to see over the hood particularly the RH front.

The rear window is a joke as the back end is even higher than the front and the rear quarter windows are not much help.

The belt line on a Gen 5 is so high that it's uncomfortable for me to rest my arm on the door while driving because my elbow is higher than my shoulder.

GM, for some reason, loves this slammed roof, high belt look. It make for nice pictures, but not good visibility.

So don't believe anyone that thinks it "not bad" it is. You just get used to it and ultimately accept it.

Also as mentioned, the cowl is lower and the a-pillars narrower. As long as the driver isn't also lower this should improve front visibility. I haven't sat in a Gen 6, but I think the back looks the same or worse than a Gen 5, but I'm holding judgement.

Coupes are always going to be a bit worse and you have to take very good care to not make them horrible. But is styling is more important, and GM believes it is, you get what you get.
I respectfully disagree. It is not that bad. Is it a great car as far as visibility goes? No lol. But once you get your mirrors adjusted, it is fine.
huggercamaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:00 AM   #9
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggercamaro21 View Post
I respectfully disagree. It is not that bad. Is it a great car as far as visibility goes? No lol. But once you get your mirrors adjusted, it is fine.
I thought most of sports cars with low seating position, long hood and high belt line would suffer a bit on visibility anyway. (I drove Viper, many Corvettes, Lambo Gallardo, and many other sports cars, and I don't think they have a good visibility like SUVs...)
3000: 9/04/15 <TPW:10/19/15>
3800: 10/19/15 <VIN: 117740>
6000: 12/16/15
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:01 AM   #10
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
You do adapt to the visibility..but the high belt line is an issue I never adapted to.

I'm 6'2" and my arm is very uncomfortable resting on the sill/door top when driving.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:08 AM   #11
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
I borrowed my mom's 5th gen for a week so this is based on only having it for a short amount of time.

For me the biggest visibility issue was with the area immediately in front of the car. Since the belt line and cowl are so high, you lose sight of things sooner as you maneuver around things closer in proximity (parking lots and curbs). You have to rely on your memory sooner to navigate close obstacles.

If they did a good job lowering the cowl and improving forward visibility, that should really help.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:10 AM   #12
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
You do adapt to the visibility..but the high belt line is an issue I never adapted to.

I'm 6'2" and my arm is very uncomfortable resting on the sill/door top when driving.
Dang. I'm 5'10" and I love hanging my arm out the window. We'll see on the 24th I guess when I get to see them in person, and hopefully plop my ass in the seat.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:41 AM   #13
Millertime555

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
I've sat in them before, and overall it is a little bit better than the 5th gen, but ultimately GM actually told us at the reveal that they asked Camaro fans if we were willing to sacrifice looks for visibility, and the overall answer was no.

Honestly, it is pretty easy to get used to in my opinion, and you're sacrificing in the visibility department in order to gain looks, performance, and pure badassness.

3000: 8/27/15
TPW (10/19): 8/31/15
3300: 10/8/15
3400: 10/10/15
3800: 10/21/15 VIN #118558
5000: 1/4/16 @ 11:49AM
6000: 1/4/16 @ 11:49AM
Millertime555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:53 AM   #14
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Visibility in the 5th gen isn't a problem. Adjust your mirror like they are supposed to be, and you'll be fine. Like people have said, forward visibility has been improved. So now you can stop closer to the light.