Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-08-2015, 09:18 AM   #1
citizennick

Drives: 2016 2SS
MRC vs. aftermarket

hey guys, long time lurker. This forum has been great for information and I want to thank you for that. Also you're not at each other's throats as often as other places on the internet

My question has to do to with the MRC. The car will not be a daily driver and will see extensive track use like my current car. I know what you're thinking, get the MRC. And I admit I haven't looked much into this, but are their upgrades you can do TO the MRC (such as lowering)? Would a high quality adjustable coilover suspension perform better?

I understand the MRC is a relatively cheap option, but for me, would it be the best option? Any idea how much weight an MRC equipped car will add?

Either way I've been excited for this car for awhile. The great online community makes it difficult for me to sell the Focus ST I have currently, but look forward to what this Camaro is capable of.

citizennick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:28 AM   #2
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
MRC's main advantage is the on the fly adjust-ability. I don't think it will work any better in a pure track setting than a well engineered aftermarket option.

That said, it will probably be awhile before we see a lot of suspension upgrades for the 6th gen. If you wanted to start tracking early on, I would get the MRC. We really don't know how firm the stock SS suspension will be, but we know MRC will give you the best when in Track setting.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:39 AM   #3
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
I don't buy the "it adds a lot of weight" stuff that I've seen a couple times. It's a mono tube shock with fluid that is responsive to electric current, that's it. Not that much different than the standard setup with the exception of a micro controller and some wire. I can't imagine that the whole setup adds more than a few pounds to the car.

As to the rest, I'm sure a dedicated setup with some Ohlins would probably be better, but at what cost compared to the MRC? Twice? or more? The only one who can answer that is you, and as often in racing the the question of "how deep are your pockets" is tied to how fast you can go.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #4

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
MRC would be a good place to start...For the price (@$1600..??) not a bad deal....You'll spend well more than that for quality aftermarket coil-overs, plus installation....I'd get the MRC for no other reason than you can put them back on when you go to sell it...The car is already "Lower" than last year....put some 19's on it to go even lower.... get a track alignment....done....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:48 AM   #5
citizennick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
MRC's main advantage is the on the fly adjust-ability. I don't think it will work any better in a pure track setting than a well engineered aftermarket option.

That said, it will probably be awhile before we see a lot of suspension upgrades for the 6th gen. If you wanted to start tracking early on, I would get the MRC. We really don't know how firm the stock SS suspension will be, but we know MRC will give you the best when in Track setting.
Good point, might be worth shelling the extra cash to get the MRC and see what happens in the aftermarket.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #6
citizennick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
MRC would be a good place to start...For the price (@$1600..??) not a bad deal....You'll spend well more than that for quality aftermarket coil-overs, plus installation....I'd get the MRC for no other reason than you can put them back on when you go to sell it...The car is already "Lower" than last year....put some 19's on it to go even lower.... get a track alignment....done....
Yeah, I'm beginning to think MRC is worth getting at this point. Fairly cheap option. Any idea on how much the 6-piston front Brembos option is?
Old 09-08-2015, 09:57 AM   #7

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizennick View Post
Yeah, I'm beginning to think MRC is worth getting at this point. Fairly cheap option. Any idea on how much the 6-piston front Brembos option is?
Might want to look around in here:.....

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumd...ysprune=&f=226
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #8
citizennick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Might want to look around in here:.....

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumd...ysprune=&f=226
I've seen some guys say around $500 and some say much more. Right now I'm thinking it'll be a 1SS with just the MRC and 6-piston Brembos up front. Theres just so much great standard equipment on these things that. The extra cooling that comes standard makes me very happy. Thats the issue I have with my current car. Coolant temp reaches 250+ after 3 laps on the track. And obviously there still isn't an aftermarket upgrade for the radiator. I'm looking forward to getting into a car that was built to handle the track.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:14 PM   #9
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
would go MRC and upgrade around it if need be. I think if you want a track car their are cheaper options in vehicles.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #10
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Can lowering springs be added to a car with MRC with no additional issues?
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:49 PM   #11
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
Can lowering springs be added to a car with MRC with no additional issues?
I believe someone confirmed this.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:13 PM   #12
G8DUDE

Drives: Pontiac G8 GT
The CTS-V guys do it all the time, no issues it seems from just adding lowering springs.
G8DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #13
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I would skip the MRC and go aftermarket coil overs. MRC is good for making a street car handle better, but if you want a track car, it wouldn't be necessary.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:35 PM   #14
citizennick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
would go MRC and upgrade around it if need be. I think if you want a track car their are cheaper options in vehicles.
I have a Formula Vee I race, want something to drive on the weekends and have fun on open track days/NASA events. I'll probably go with the MRC, wasn't planning on going wild with the suspension. I just wanted to confirm its as good as I hear.