Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-16-2017, 12:34 PM   #43
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
I would have a leakdown test done still

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2017, 01:08 PM   #44
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Sorry to hear about your issue.
Never been inside a modern LT1, but pushrod engines are all the same, essentially.
After an overrev, (aside from obviously broken parts) the only thing a mechanic can really tell by examining is if there was piston-to-valve contact. The excessive revs exceed the design limits of the valve springs and cause the lifter to be "thrown" away from the cam lobe instead of following it back down nicely like it should. This lets the valves and the piston occupy the same space, not good. If the valve-to-piston contact was light, your motor's bottom end should survive with just some nicks in the piston top. This can be determined with a bore scope, as you have found with your mechanic.
You'd have to tear the top end all apart to make sure everything that might have been damaged is checked out/replaced.
Pushrods can be checked for damage, as can valves and rockers. Valve springs can be rate-checked to see if they have been weakened, but personally, I would never trust them again. If a valve spring breaks, you will really have some valve-to-piston contact and serious damage. I would have the top end serviced by the dealer and see if they will warranty it.

Good luck, my friend.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #45
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Money shift and Money shot, similar names, completely different outcomes... ha ha
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #46
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman8373 View Post
Mine is an M6 and the computer locks me out of the lower gears if shifting into them would cause over-reving......so unless driver brutally forced shifter into the wrong gear or something I don't understand why this happened. (works just like the reverse gear lock-out).
I thought there were lockout solenoids that have been on the T6 for a long time??
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:40 PM   #47
draph

Drives: AcuraTL SH-AWD 6MT and '70 'vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
I thought there were lockout solenoids that have been on the T6 for a long time??
If there's any argument against deactivating the skip shift, we may have found it. No doubt the solenoid that locks out 2nd for skip shift would be the same solenoid that locks out second to prevent accidental shifts from third to second at high revs. Anyone know if these aftermarket skip shift defeat devices are sophisticated enough to only prevent lockout in the skip shift mode, but not in the high rev 3rd to 4th scenario? Better yet, can anyone confirm such an "engine safety" lockout software control scenario exists? I know they didn't exist in the past - the shift linkage spring always pulls to the center of the "six legged H" on well-designed 6MTs - it seems it would take the driver to intentionally pull against that spring to put into second vs. 3rd; but I can see how a novice might do that in the excitement of spirited acceleration. ...I've never tried the Corvette 7MT and have been curious how one can drive with that shift linkage "without having to think about it" to prevent hitting the wrong gear...I guess with a good centering spring, the only real risk is hitting 7th when you wanted 5th because you pushed against the spring too hard when going for 5th...
draph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:13 PM   #48
ChevyCav

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke.Malvo View Post
I would have a leakdown test done still

I've gotten on the gas a few times like I said feels like normal but yeah I'm still going to give it a shot with the leak down test.
ChevyCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:18 PM   #49
ChevyCav

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
Sorry to hear about your issue.
Never been inside a modern LT1, but pushrod engines are all the same, essentially.
After an overrev, (aside from obviously broken parts) the only thing a mechanic can really tell by examining is if there was piston-to-valve contact. The excessive revs exceed the design limits of the valve springs and cause the lifter to be "thrown" away from the cam lobe instead of following it back down nicely like it should. This lets the valves and the piston occupy the same space, not good. If the valve-to-piston contact was light, your motor's bottom end should survive with just some nicks in the piston top. This can be determined with a bore scope, as you have found with your mechanic.
You'd have to tear the top end all apart to make sure everything that might have been damaged is checked out/replaced.
Pushrods can be checked for damage, as can valves and rockers. Valve springs can be rate-checked to see if they have been weakened, but personally, I would never trust them again. If a valve spring breaks, you will really have some valve-to-piston contact and serious damage. I would have the top end serviced by the dealer and see if they will warranty it.

Good luck, my friend.
Well the car is already fixed, put 100+ miles on it and it seems like everything is really good and tight. I'm going to check out the other cylinders on the other side however to make sure everything is all good (since the mechanic only focused on the affected side with cylinder 3). It starts right up, has regular valve train noise and pulls hard and no CEL. I'm going to still do a compression or leak down test just to keep me sleeping well.
ChevyCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #50
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by draph View Post
Better yet, can anyone confirm such an "engine safety" lockout software control scenario exists? .
+1
Old 12-17-2017, 01:52 PM   #51
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
lockout software on a manual? I doubt it. It's not easy to do a money shift either, you really gotta bang it into that lower gear.
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:33 AM   #52
Zeke.Malvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
lockout software on a manual? I doubt it. It's not easy to do a money shift either, you really gotta bang it into that lower gear.
I'm surprised they haven't created something that would lock it out similar to skip shift. But I agree, you have to put it in there with force to actually get it in gear at such a high rpm.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #53
guitarman8373

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro fully loaded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke.Malvo View Post
I'm surprised they haven't created something that would lock it out similar to skip shift. But I agree, you have to put it in there with force to actually get it in gear at such a high rpm.

They have, as far as I know. I mean 2nd gear alone tops out at +- 80mph and it locks me out of 1st for sure at those speeds.

I don't really feel like going on the highway and getting up to 85+ mph in 3rd just to see if it'll prevent me from shifting into 2nd accidently tho.

I use the push/pull method for shifting and never had an issue. Sometimes I'll go into too high of a gear if I'm not paying attention (5th instead of 3rd etc) but I could see how a brute force grabbing of the shifter and pulling it into gear could overcome the lockout possibly.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:42 PM   #54
Zeke.Malvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman8373 View Post
They have, as far as I know. I mean 2nd gear alone tops out at +- 80mph and it locks me out of 1st for sure at those speeds.

I don't really feel like going on the highway and getting up to 85+ mph in 3rd just to see if it'll prevent me from shifting into 2nd accidently tho.

I use the push/pull method for shifting and never had an issue. Sometimes I'll go into too high of a gear if I'm not paying attention (5th instead of 3rd etc) but I could see how a brute force grabbing of the shifter and pulling it into gear could overcome the lockout possibly.
It doesn't have a lockout. It's just that difficult to do.

I was referring to a lockout like the skipshift stuff. The TR6060 does not have a lockout.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:23 PM   #55
Sambeaux

Drives: 2018 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCav View Post
Well the car is already fixed, put 100+ miles on it and it seems like everything is really good and tight. I'm going to check out the other cylinders on the other side however to make sure everything is all good (since the mechanic only focused on the affected side with cylinder 3). It starts right up, has regular valve train noise and pulls hard and no CEL. I'm going to still do a compression or leak down test just to keep me sleeping well.
Were you able to get this warrantied?
Sambeaux is offline   Reply With Quote