Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-23-2017, 08:23 PM   #15
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan1 View Post
I will post some pictures as this project comes together, thanks to those who are interested and those that understand the Philosophy. Their are many forum members with the ability and resources to acomplish almost anything. Yes, USP45 was the very first post I read on this forum and that's why I joined this board, sharing this type of information is what brings us together and makes us stronger as a team.
If you have any questions, just let me know! We spent many months testing over 100 prototypes before we found the right configuration. Do you plan to tune after adding your CAI?

Michael
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:24 PM   #16
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Dalmation View Post
Why is it hard to imagine that what came with our $70K beast from factory may actually work? The ZL1 is the current pinnacle Camaro for performance being offered by Chevy. Hell they did not even alter it for the 1LE version which is even more of a insane performance model. If the OEM current design was a major weak point, they would of easily modified it for the limited 1LE run considering all the other tweaks that they did implement.

Focus on something else, like the ported TB.
Not sure I understand the intent of this post. Every aftermarket intake out comes with about 20+ HP gain. It is a fact that there was room left for improvement. It's not a debate at this point. If you're arguing the value of doing any mods I think you came to the wrong place.

OP is interested, I believe, in whether anyone has shown equal or more gains to those of the vendors' claims with their own fabrication or frankenstein version.

Me and my buddy used to go to Autozone and pick up some ricer mods and hack them up so they would fit daily drivers like a Maxima and the performance results were always stunning - appearance, not so much lol...again it was very ricer, but it worked, and we had a blast doing it.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:50 PM   #17
chrisx66

Drives: 66 Chevelle 8:02 @174
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
Better believe if I had a tube that aligned, or the capability of bending my own, that I would certainly try it. Might not be the prettiest, but if I could say I gained 22 HP instead of a rotofab 26 but I did it myself and it cost me $57 and some time, I'd be happy as a clam. That's always been my mindset.

I mean nothing negative to those that don't/can't/won't work on their own cars themselves, but I definitely feel a little more pride when MY work is done, that I didn't achieve my HP because I could afford it, but because I could build it. And that obviously can't be done with everything. Not like I'm gonna try to weld together my own LT headers, right?

Take the 1,000HP ZL1 in the other thread. He'll probably show up to a scene like the cock of the walk, but in reality, he got that because he wrote a check. Again, nothing against him, the car is still amazing. I'll still drool out of both corners of my mouth. But I won't think for a second this guy is holy than though.

Look at the pride USP45 is gonna have when he shows up for example. If you haven't read his thread, definitely take a look.

The point is, not sure why the negative comments toward OP for the question. Valid in my opinion. My put some of the commercial vendor products in perspective as well if someone was able to come close to what these vendors are charging ~$500 for, just because of the ZL1 price tag.
chrisx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:43 PM   #18
mzdadoc

Drives: 2017 Red Hot Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
It's nothing about money, some of us get satisfaction out of doing things ourself. I realize not everyone has the same skill sets but it was my understanding that these forums were to learn from each other.
I removed the factory intake system and mapped it on the CMM and imported it into solid edge. I cut small blanks of both aluminum and stainless and machined both the vacuum and sensor boss. I'll tig weld these to the tubes. I can send the aluminum version out for hard coat anodizing and polish the SS version.
Both tube versions are available online from many sources. The filter housing is pretty straight forward along with fire retardant sealant against the under hood surface.
In my honest opinion the assumption that the "experts" only exist sitting behind the desk of a major corporation seems to be the Millenial attitude.
Beyond cultural belief, the greatest ideas and craftsmanship originate in small shops and garages all over this nation. It's a shame how most people today put the value against a dollar instead of the value of time, experience and the desire to live a life their dedicated to.
In a nutshell at any given time you can look at the stranger sitting next to you and you have no idea the accomplishment and knowledge that person has in a particular field.
Thanks for the opinions, see you in the rear view.

Well said
mzdadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:43 AM   #19
Vulcan1

Drives: 2018 Hyper Metallic Blue ZL-1 M6
Thanks Michael, I'm sure I will take you up on that offer.
Vulcan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:22 PM   #20
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
The stock intake is good if and only if you plan t keep your car completely bone stock and never do any mods to it at all...which some of us plan to do. But for those of us who do have plans for future mods including pulleys, headers, tune...then a CAI is a good first mod to get out of the way in preparation for upcoming stuff. But I'll add that even on a stock vehicle it will increase response, give you a handful or more of extra hp, improve MPGs since your engine will breathe easier, and it'll make your car different than every other ZL1 that rolled off the line. So why not? If you can custom make your own then even more so! I say go for it.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:47 PM   #21
Vulcan1

Hey Roto-fab 1, yes I plan on doing a tune after the install. I would think that any increase in tube diameter would require a tune due to the MAF calibration. Bigger tube, slower air velocity, different MAF reading.
Just rounding the numbers but throttle body inlet size 4" then adapting up to 5" all the way to filter housing. These numbers are very close to the stock intake size now.
I didn't think this thread would generate a following but because it has I'll start sharing some data.
I will pull the old flow bench out of storage and do a run on the stock intake system from throttle body to air entry of box below stock filter. Then I'll remove filter and do a comparison.
My first thoughts are that without the filter in the housing the numbers will be pretty good. The filter lays so close to the bottom of the housing air looks to be pretty shrouded on the upper side. I may not be able to measure at 28" of water coulum due to the volume of air but we can use a different datum for all comparisons.

Last edited by Vulcan1; 09-25-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #22
soceur77

Drives: 17 NFG ZL1 17 GTR 22 RS6
Quote:
I will post some pictures as this project comes together, thanks to those who are interested and those that understand the Philosophy. Their are many forum members with the ability and resources to acomplish almost anything. Yes, USP45 was the very first post I read on this forum and that's why I joined this board, sharing this type of information is what brings us together and makes us stronger as a team.
May I ask how old you are?
soceur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:58 PM   #23
Vulcan1

65 my birthday
Old 09-26-2017, 09:51 AM   #24
HAHA I 1

Drives: 68 Camaro
Vulcan1 - good choice of color for Lexington, KY. BBN.
HAHA I 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:16 PM   #25
Steve @ WEAPON_X

Drives: Compound Boost 17' ZL1 (shop car)
Quote:
It's nothing about money, some of us get satisfaction out of doing things ourself. I realize not everyone has the same skill sets but it was my understanding that these forums were to learn from each other.
I removed the factory intake system and mapped it on the CMM and imported it into solid edge. I cut small blanks of both aluminum and stainless and machined both the vacuum and sensor boss. I'll tig weld these to the tubes. I can send the aluminum version out for hard coat anodizing and polish the SS version.
Both tube versions are available online from many sources. The filter housing is pretty straight forward along with fire retardant sealant against the under hood surface.
In my honest opinion the assumption that the "experts" only exist sitting behind the desk of a major corporation seems to be the Millenial attitude.
Beyond cultural belief, the greatest ideas and craftsmanship originate in small shops and garages all over this nation. It's a shame how most people today put the value against a dollar instead of the value of time, experience and the desire to live a life their dedicated to.
In a nutshell at any given time you can look at the stranger sitting next to you and you have no idea the accomplishment and knowledge that person has in a particular field.
Thanks for the opinions, see you in the rear view.
I'm with you, if I can find the time I prefer producing something myself. That is if/when I can find the time.

A DIY intake for your ZL1 won't be too hard. Press brake the heat shroud, fab your intake tube, and add a filter, and a couple other tricks we use to prevent turbulence.

We try to avoid using metals because of the heat soak/transfer properties. Obviously you will be, because the fab capabilities. Something I have always wanted to do on an aluminum intake tube or intercooler piping is ceramic coat both inside and out. Not solely for the benefits, kind of for the same cool factor of building you own intake, and having piping that's not "piping hot".

Here are a couple pics of our first intakes we did before making any revisions if this helps you any.
Steve @ WEAPON_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #26
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Drives: Red '79 Z28, '21 Red Hot M6 ZL-1!
Quote:

Tara Martin is offline   Reply With Quote