Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-22-2017, 11:54 PM   #1
Cool SS

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro 2SS
What is this mystery button?

What is this button? Its under the dash near my left knee, just above the fuse box. The cord is plugged into a slot in the fuse box. I haven't checked which slot its plugged into yet. Anyone else have this in their 6th Gen? I pressed the button and it doesn't seem to do anything that I can discern.

I have a 2017 2SS
Cool SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:09 AM   #2
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
It is aftermarket what ever it is.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:16 AM   #3
Cool SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
It is aftermarket what ever it is.
Hmmm, I bought the car brand new with only 7 miles on it. Its only been in two shops since for lowering and a second alinement. Someone would have had to sneak it in there.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:24 AM   #4
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
There's another thread somewhere on here about that. It's a security device installed by the dealer, for the dealer. Make them remove it and repair any damage to the dash. You paid for a new car, you should get a new car.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:24 AM   #5
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Many dealerships install shitty security devices that look like this (my wife's rogue her company bought her has one). Nothing was mentioned?
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:31 AM   #6
Cool SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Many dealerships install shitty security devices that look like this (my wife's rogue her company bought her has one). Nothing was mentioned?
The dealership pushed their security device and I declined it. Then they made a big deal about how they would deactivate it. That must be what it is, the override switch. I'm just now noticing it nearly 5k miles later.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:26 AM   #7
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I think it's hilarious that dealers install this warranty voiding crap. Probably even signed some papers absolving them of any liability if it ever does lead to malfunction. I'm sure if it did and you took it to another dealer they would have to consider it the same as if you had them work on a problem due to a pro installed audio system. Hilarious.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:37 AM   #8
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
What does this security device do?
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #9
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
It locates the car va gps on a program they use.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
It locates the car va gps on a program they use.
And I think some versions of that type of device have a remote immobilizer as well.

Its all about the dealership being to get the car back if you stop paying for it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:56 PM   #11
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
And I think some versions of that type of device have a remote immobilizer as well.

Its all about the dealership being to get the car back if you stop paying for it.
They are actually most popular with the dealers that store offsite, because of the slow down in sales, dealers are using the top of malls, near airports etc. and this helps locate the car.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:23 PM   #12
ModdedSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

Most legit dealers don't do in house finance, so they couldn't care less if you pay for the thing or not. The deal is funded through the bank within the first week or two and the dealer has their money. The bank is who would want to go after you, but the dealer won't put on a tracker and immobilizer for a bank I don't think. Not at the dealers I've worked at anyways...

Go: 17" Forgestar F14s in Bronze Burst with Hoosier Drag Radials/Rotofab Intake w/ Dry Filter/EFI Flex Fuel Kit/Kooks 2" Longtubes with Offroad Connections/PRAY Performance Ported Intake Manifold/PRAY Performance Ported Throttle Body/PRAY Performance Ported Heads/PRAY Performance Tune

Suspension: Phastek Lowering Springs/BMR Toe Rods/BMR Control Arms/BMR Trailing Arms/BMR Strut Tower Brace
ModdedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:00 PM   #13
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool SS View Post
What is this button? Its under the dash near my left knee, just above the fuse box. The cord is plugged into a slot in the fuse box. I haven't checked which slot its plugged into yet. Anyone else have this in their 6th Gen? I pressed the button and it doesn't seem to do anything that I can discern.

I have a 2017 2SS
I think several guys have nailed it wrt some specific dealer tracking / locating device. The part in bold confused me. There's a fuse box under the hood and a fuse box in the trunk. Thinking maybe you're talking about the OBD port?
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #14
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
If it's plugged into the OBD port, make the dealer remove it. Aftermarket crap plugged into the OBD port is famous for draining the battery.

Leave that car sit for 2 weeks, I bet the battery will be dead. Friend of mine is a dealer tech, he sees that crap all the time causing problems. The insurance thingies that you plug into the OBD port to get an insurance discount also cause dead batteries.

All the modules on the car don't go to sleep properly if something is plugged into the OBD port.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote