Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #15
g-boac

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe M6
Thanks so much for your very helpful and insightful replies!! This is really fascinating. I'll look forward to seeing the car when it gets to Texas. Right now, the dealer is predicting about two weeks remaining on the journey.

It's really interesting seeing how all this works, because you figure there is such a large volume of cars being produced at plants, yet as each car rolls off the line, it may be going to a different part of the country than the car ahead and behind of it.

Conversely, I've seen a car hauler pull into my dealer, with a mix of Chevys - so each of those cars (in most cases) began its journey at a different plant.

Thanks again for the information and the insight. When I picked up a Corvette, it was very different - I flew in to Nashville, and a friend picked me up and gave me a lift to the plant in Bowling Green!

This is the second Camaro I am getting. I previously had a 2013 2SS/1LE, with LS3 engine, and I couldn't say enough great things about the car. Also, the exhaust note (the car included the optional NPP exhaust) couldn't have been better! I'm looking forward to getting to know the Gen 6!
g-boac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:09 PM   #16
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Every new car that I have detailed had iron deposits all over it. The McKee's Extreme Iron remover turned purple. I call them "bleeders." I have always heard that it is rail dust from the train tracks.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:51 PM   #17
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-boac View Post
Thanks so much for your very helpful and insightful replies!! This is really fascinating. I'll look forward to seeing the car when it gets to Texas. Right now, the dealer is predicting about two weeks remaining on the journey.

It's really interesting seeing how all this works, because you figure there is such a large volume of cars being produced at plants, yet as each car rolls off the line, it may be going to a different part of the country than the car ahead and behind of it.

Conversely, I've seen a car hauler pull into my dealer, with a mix of Chevys - so each of those cars (in most cases) began its journey at a different plant.

Thanks again for the information and the insight. When I picked up a Corvette, it was very different - I flew in to Nashville, and a friend picked me up and gave me a lift to the plant in Bowling Green!

This is the second Camaro I am getting. I previously had a 2013 2SS/1LE, with LS3 engine, and I couldn't say enough great things about the car. Also, the exhaust note (the car included the optional NPP exhaust) couldn't have been better! I'm looking forward to getting to know the Gen 6!
Strangely enough, for a lot of the parts in a new car, the longest that they've ever sat still is after the car is built and its sitting around waiting to get shipped. With Just In Time supply management, a part can get made by a supplier in the morning, get put on a truck, driven to the assembly plant, and be installed on the car by lunch.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:24 PM   #18
Sboston4

Drives: '17 LT Nightfall Grey
If you are in Texas, the car almost has to go by rail and then by 18-wheeler to the dealer. Mine showed no rail dust when it arrived, I grabbed it a couple of days after it hit the dealer and when I first saw it she hadn't been cleaned up yet but I couldn't see any noticeable rail dust on it. After being cleaned up it was flawless with the exception of a defect in the trunk which had nothing to do with the journeys there, just something that had to of happened in the plant when they were building her. The dealer took care of that issue with no problem, replacing the truck floor piece (looks like a carpet covered wood piece). The only problem that I had later was when I went looking for the paint code to match the paint to a spoiler that I added and I figured out that the paint code was on a label that would of been on the bottom of the piece that was replaced but no big deal because this forum is so awesome that someone helped me figure out the paint code for nightfall grey metallic.

This forum is awesome when you are looking for help understanding something.

Stirling
Old 09-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #19
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Name:  IMG_0119.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  136.7 KB
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:17 PM   #20
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCobalt View Post
All these people are WRONG! There is one guy who drives each car to the dealerships. He does it all in one night. Truly magical.
isnt he one of the elves?gotta do something the rest of the year...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:23 PM   #21
JerseyGTO

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro SS
I believe CSX is GM's rail provider east of the Mississippi River. From Michigan, GM routed ours to the Philadelphia ramp. The car was trucked to NJ from there. Here's a link to their auto site:
https://www.csx.com/index.cfm/custom...es/automotive/

...and a map of their available ramps:
https://www.csx.com/index.cfm/custom...aps-locations/
JerseyGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:30 PM   #22
JerseyGTO

And it you're curious what the trains look like, here's a typical "autorack" train. Cars are shipped in three level rail cars. Pickups/SUVs typically move in two level rail cars.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:44 PM   #23
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGTO View Post
And it you're curious what the trains look like, here's a typical "autorack" train. Cars are shipped in three level rail cars. Pickups/SUVs typically move in two level rail cars.
This is a good video on how those cars are loaded:

And then there was the Vega where GM did things a bit ... differently:

Name:  vert-a-pac-2[10].jpg
Views: 304
Size:  118.4 KB

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2012/12...transport.html
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:49 PM   #24
JerseyGTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Great article! Shame more classic freight cars aren't preserved.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:48 PM   #25
Wolvie70

Drives: 2016 2SS, Summit White, A8, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
To those in the know, why don't the destination charges reflect the distance a car has to travel to get to the dealer?
Because it is nothing more than a money grab. Any destination charges should be included in the MSRP, not added on in my opinion. Think if Target or Walmart charged this fee.
Wolvie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:25 PM   #26
g-boac

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe M6
Great video showing the autorack! Now that I've seen this clip, I recognize the autorack train cars from having seen them multiple times - I just didn't realize what they were carrying.

I wonder if Union Pacific is the GM carrier for cars headed west of the Mississippi?

Name:  UP_3985_Westbound_at_Sloat,_CA.jpg.jpeg
Views: 221
Size:  201.0 KB
g-boac is offline   Reply With Quote