Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-23-2017, 08:32 PM   #15
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
If you get it free , then ok, but never pay for it. A total dealer profit builder....
Dealer charged me $35.00 for Nitrogen when I bought it. Stealership!
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:46 PM   #16
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Just my two cents. I have a Caddy with 270k miles and put several sets of tires on her. I was told that Nitrogen in tires allows the tires to stay cooler thus decreasing the pressure as the tire heats up and this extends tire life. I drove a lot of highway miles and tires that air had to be adjusted every 5k rotation. Tires that had nitrogen I never had to add. I would never pay for it but I did see an advantage. So if I am at the tire store and it is free then go for it. There also has to be a reason the greatest minds in Formula 1 and NASCAR use nitrogen.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:03 PM   #17
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
Just my two cents. I have a Caddy with 270k miles and put several sets of tires on her. I was told that Nitrogen in tires allows the tires to stay cooler thus decreasing the pressure as the tire heats up and this extends tire life. I drove a lot of highway miles and tires that air had to be adjusted every 5k rotation. Tires that had nitrogen I never had to add. I would never pay for it but I did see an advantage. So if I am at the tire store and it is free then go for it. There also has to be a reason the greatest minds in Formula 1 and NASCAR use nitrogen.
When you’re running 190 mph around a two mile track for 4 hours in 90 degree heat, your tire temp is as important as your oil temp.

When you’re driving 65 mph on America’s highways, not so much.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:46 AM   #18
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...a3894/4302788/
Old 09-24-2017, 07:32 AM   #19
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
The issue is water. Using compressed dried air is as effective as nitrogen.

re: Nascar
It's much easier to take a bottle of N2 to the track than a compressor-drier.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:49 AM   #20
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Nitrogen is used in tire's because the nitrogen molecule is larger and it resists pressure changes due to heat in the tires. Also maintains constant correct pressure for a longer time, due to the fact the molecule size resists imperfect seals between rim and bead.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:44 AM   #21
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
Nitrogen is used in tire's because the nitrogen molecule is larger and it resists pressure changes due to heat in the tires. Also maintains constant correct pressure for a longer time, due to the fact the molecule size resists imperfect seals between rim and bead.
Effectively, there is no difference in the size of a nitrogen molecule and an oxygen molecule. Together they make up ~99% of air. Its size has nothing to do with resisting pressure changes due to temperature.

The reason why nitrogen is used in tires is because of the trace amounts of water. When tires get cold, some of that water can condense which does 2 things. First, it lowers the pressure inside the tire, causing a bigger difference between hot & cold temperature. This has nothing to do with nitrogen. A tire filled purely with any gas that does not liquefy in the temperatures and pressures experienced by a car tire will behave the same way. You could use pure oxygen or methane or xenon, and the same thing would happen. Or just use dry air.

The other thing that water does is promote corrosion of the rim, though this is a lot less of a problem with aluminum than steel rims.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:49 AM   #22
Dallace

Drives: Fifty
gringo;9916551]You should change out the air in your tires every season or so. Old air can get stale and start to attack the rubber lining material inside the tires.

Problems is a set of tires do not last me a year.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:14 PM   #23
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Effectively, there is no difference in the size of a nitrogen molecule and an oxygen molecule. Together they make up ~99% of air. Its size has nothing to do with resisting pressure changes due to temperature.

The reason why nitrogen is used in tires is because of the trace amounts of water. When tires get cold, some of that water can condense which does 2 things. First, it lowers the pressure inside the tire, causing a bigger difference between hot & cold temperature. This has nothing to do with nitrogen. A tire filled purely with any gas that does not liquefy in the temperatures and pressures experienced by a car tire will behave the same way. You could use pure oxygen or methane or xenon, and the same thing would happen. Or just use dry air.

The other thing that water does is promote corrosion of the rim, though this is a lot less of a problem with aluminum than steel rims.
This is from Popular Mechanic's Magazine. So you are saying they do not know what they are taking about???

First is that nitrogen is less likely to migrate through tire rubber than is oxygen, which means that your tire pressures will remain more stable over the long term. Racers figured out pretty quickly that tires filled with nitrogen rather than air also exhibit less pressure change with temperature swings. That means more consistent inflation pressures during a race as the tires heat up. And when you're tweaking a race car's handling with half-psi changes, that's important. Got some points wrong there
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:25 PM   #24
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Maybe you will believe Tirerack.com??

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=191
Old 09-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #25
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Fill them with nitroglycerin when you park. That way any time someone tries to steal your car they won’t get far.
a total blast to drive
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:09 AM   #26
Mrfixxit7

Drives: FIFTY 2SS Callaway
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
a total blast to drive
Your car will be Da bomb!
Mrfixxit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:30 PM   #27
blk 2013

Drives: 2017 SS 6sp