#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-18-2016, 03:39 PM   #71
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeper View Post
Based on that comment then I'd assume there are no additional cooling capacities for the 1LE then either? Well at least for the LT1 anyway.
I'm not sure, but I believe the oil, transmission, and differential coolers on the SS 1LE are the same as what's available on the SS. The heat exchangers in the front are the same. There could be a difference elsewhere for these components, but I doubt it. As far as the engine goes, I'm certainly not aware of any additional cooling capacity the 1LE provides.
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:45 PM   #72
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
He was being deceptive, he also said there was no restrictions on airflow entering the SS, but airflow consists of entry and exit. The ZL1 hood is the exit. The volume of airflow is dependent on both intake and outflow.
You clearly have all of the GM marketing material memorized. Congratulations!

If people want GM marketing material they can get it from GM's site. I was sharing my actual experience. What's been your experience with your LT4 in your 2016 Camaro?
Old 10-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #73
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
You clearly have all of the GM marketing material memorized. Congratulations!

If people want GM marketing material they can get it from GM's site. I was sharing my actual experience. What's been your experience with your LT4 in your 2016 Camaro?
My experience is driving an actual ZL1 for the last 4 years.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:30 PM   #74
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
You quoted 0-60, so I assumed 1/4. People need that cooling for 1/4 as well as track. If the cooling issue was just space the Camaro would be fine, but they obviously were concerned with the numerous of heat exchangers they put in the ZL1.
The 0-60 time was the only stat I think we have that I could use for comparison. I don't mean to pick on you, but I'm one of those people who would rip out the LT4 blower if I was buying a new ZL1 and replace it with something else because it has had heat soak problems in its other applications. I think that's what you were getting at. It also has a lower ceiling if you have higher aspirations.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #75
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
The 0-60 time was the only stat I think we have that I could use for comparison. I don't mean to pick on you, but I'm one of those people who would rip out the LT4 blower if I was buying a new ZL1 and replace it with something else because it has had heat soak problems in its other applications. I think that's what you were getting at. It also has a lower ceiling if you have higher aspirations.
I don't think it is the blowers fault, but they are at the high end of its boost. The heat soak was with the Vettes, have not heard much about the CTSV? Vette issue was a combination of cramped space and lack of additional cooling. That is why everyone wants to see some real world info on how the ZL1 handles the heat soak with it's additional cooling. I don't think GM engineers would put in additional heat exchangers for marketing.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #76
travislambert

Quote:
My experience is driving an actual ZL1 for the last 4 years.
My point was that I'm sharing my experience about a specific vehicle and you likely don't have the same vehicle, so please quit trying to discredit actual experience with marketing information. These forums are all about actual experience. If you were sharing 5th Gen ZL1 information I wouldn't throw it all back in your face and accuse you of misleading readers, etc..
Old 10-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #77
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
My point was that I'm sharing my experience about a specific vehicle and you likely don't have the same vehicle, so please quit trying to discredit actual experience with marketing information. These forums are all about actual experience. If you were sharing 5th Gen ZL1 information I wouldn't throw it all back in your face and accuse you of misleading readers, etc..
Why didn't you install the two additional heat exchangers for the blower that are in the ZL1?
Old 10-18-2016, 05:13 PM   #78
travislambert

Quote:
Why didn't you install the two additional heat exchangers for the blower that are in the ZL1?
Can you please post or PM a diagram and show me which two I'm missing?

Last edited by travislambert; 10-18-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:20 PM   #79
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
I'm not trying to argue here, but please understand the ZL1 heat exchangers for engine cooling are all the same as the SS. Don't take my word for it. Look it up in the parts catalog instead of listening to GM marketers on youtube.

The only difference is one small additional heat exchanger in the front for the supercharger and the small heat exchanger in front of the driver's-side wheel well is used for the supercharger instead of the engine coolant. They're the same otherwise. I compared every part when I built my car. These cooling issues you keep citing simply do not exist for the Camaro. The part #s. are the same and there are no airflow restrictions on the air entering these exchangers on the SS. The SS is practically wide open airflow through the front. Even the oil cooler is identical. It's all marketing my friend.

Also, keep in mind the ZL1 isn't necessarily new. The entire engine compartment is practically identical the 2016 CTS-V except for cosmetic parts. Again, check the part numbers. That's where you'll find facts and not opinions.
Those two.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:31 PM   #80
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Since the topic of interest is heat exchange, you guys go me thinking. My world consists of LITERALLY Months 100+ days...is the concern of the heat / supercharger only when excessive hot rodding is applied or do this engine have a heat concern in general with hot days and DD / idling??

Just curious as I've never had a supercharger nor am I savvy on their heating issues...when I tuned the hemi I put in a 180 degree thermostat to help with our excessive scorchers.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:32 PM   #81
travislambert

Quote:
Those two.
I think you may have misunderstood what I wrote. I was pointing out the difference between the SS (not supercharged) and the ZL1 engine/supercharger cooling.

There is only one additional heat exchanger for the supercharger and I added it when I did the LT4 install. The other heat exchanger simply has the plumbing re-routed to function for the supercharger instead of the engine. I incorporated this change into my build as well. I assure you my car has the exact same engine/supercharger cooling setup as the new ZL1 (minus the fascia and the different style hood vents). I bought the '17 ZL1 heat exchanger, hoses, pump, fill valve, etc.

Check out my car journal here:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469102
Old 10-18-2016, 06:12 PM   #82
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Wow this thread has got a little crazy. I still own a 2013 ZL1 and a 2016 SS Camaro. I know the ENTIRE driveline in the gen 5 ZL1 was stouter from the factory than the SS. I'm not sure that is the case with the gen 6. The gen 6 SS is an amazing car. Hey the 2017 1LE beat the lap time of the last Z/28 at Laguna Seca. And my 2016 cooling system is way more than it needs. I think team Camaro saw the vette guys having cooling issues and said we are going to make sure that doesn't happen to any Camaro. The 2016 SS has way more cooling capacity than the 2013 ZL1. No gen 6 Camaro is having cooling issues.

If I could have bought a new ZL1 (in 2016) I probably would have but I still have not seen one in person yet. I had to settle for a twin turbo 2016 SS. The direct injection and VVT high compression motor is a step up in complexity but the fuel efficiency is there to match. I was considering putting my 2016 back to stock and trading it for a new ZL1 when they are available... I'm not so sure that is going to happen anymore. The gen 6 SS is a lot of car (especially with twins) and I'm not sure the ZL1 would be worth it. We will see what happens when the new ZL1's are on the road but I have a hard time believing my twin turbo, mag ride SS is going to be at a disadvantage at any racing venue and I'm still below 60K invested.

If you must have a warranty, buy the ZL1. If you want a fast reliable car I think a modded SS will be faster and cost less. Those that have added forced induction are not having any drivetrain or cooling issues on this platform like the gen 5 was having.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:14 PM   #83
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Travis, just curious any idea of how much coin you have with the purchase of the SS & all the addys??

Even if I wanted to go your route, I would have to pay some one to do it...any idea of a total cost of just parts vs. parts & labor?? I didn't read through it all & skimmed but man it looks like a lot of man hours.

Sorry if I missed it...

Quote:
I think you may have misunderstood what I wrote. I was pointing out the difference between the SS (not supercharged) and the ZL1 engine/supercharger cooling.

There is only one additional heat exchanger for the supercharger and I added it when I did the LT4 install. The other heat exchanger simply has the plumbing re-routed to function for the supercharger instead of the engine. I incorporated this change into my build as well. I assure you my car has the exact same engine/supercharger cooling setup as the new ZL1 (minus the fascia and the different style hood vents). I bought the '17 ZL1 heat exchanger, hoses, pump, fill valve, etc.

Check out my car journal here:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469102
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:31 PM   #84
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Travis, just curious any idea of how much coin you have with the purchase of the SS & all the addys??

Even if I wanted to go your route, I would have to pay some one to do it...any idea of a total cost of just parts vs. parts & labor?? I didn't read through it all & skimmed but man it looks like a lot of man hours.

Sorry if I missed it...
I spent about $20,000 on top of the price of the car which was a little over $50,000 (of course the cars are cheaper now). I hope to get about $6,000 of that back when I sell the LT1 engine. So about $64,000.

The wheels and tires were a big part of the expense, and I probably wasted at least $1,500 along the way ordering wrong parts, etc. Of course that happens when you have to figure everything out on your own.

ADM Performance offers these packages including labor for about the same money. I just wanted to do the work myself.