Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-27-2017, 10:59 PM   #1
GRTJBMuscle16

Drives: 2016 Convertible 2LT RS M6
2016 Convertible Camaro questions

I've read quite a bit about the 2016 camaro, and I've decided on a 2016 convertible.

I have made two offers on the 2016 2LT RS manual 6 speed convertible in the last week and to say I'm excited about getting one is an understatement. I drove a nissan 240sx 5 speed for 18 years and loved it although I understand it's not a highly sought after sports car.

This vehicle will be my primary car. I'm single, kids are grown, and I do triathlons. I was thinking that I could put cardboard in the back seat and put my bike back there disassembled, especially if the rear seats fold down. I'll still have my high mileage crew cab truck, so worst case, I'll use it to travel to triathlons and training rides, but I was wondering if the convertible back seats can be folded down or removed temporarily. I've searched the forums and haven't found an answer, so I was hoping someone who owns one could chime in.

Also, I'm looking at KBB for my sanity check on defining a "good deal". Is this accurate, or is their value low? One of my offers was slightly higher than the KBB value, and one was slightly lower.

Thanks for any insight or advice you can provide.
GRTJBMuscle16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:07 PM   #2
richm

Drives: 2016 Camaro Turbo4 RS Convertible
Hi,

I have a 2016 RS Turbo4 convertible and unfortunately the seats do not fold down, due to the need for extra structural support I believe. It's a great car, although not exactly the most practical vehicle, especially if it's your sole car. The back seat is tiny too, as is the trunk when the top is down.
richm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:12 PM   #3
Yellow6thGen
18 ZL1 A10 Convertible

Drives: White ZL1 Convertible
There is a hitch alreadynout for it to mount a bike rack onto like a trailer hitch mount.

2018 ZL1 Convertible A10 @ Kooks R&D.
Yellow6thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:35 AM   #4
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
Back seat is tiny, do not think a disassembled bike would fit very well if at all. Had my dealer add Thule bicycle rack compatible hitch receiver 1 1/4" for $182.27 including tax. Rated up to 160lbs. Matched black trim of rear bumper nicely and has not been an issue on elevated ramps, aprons or driveways. Also contemplating using it to mount a platform for baggage on road trips.
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:42 AM   #5
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
I put a bike hitch on my 2012 for a Thule rack. It sat good but I had to run a secondary strap through the body behind the license plate to keep it from swinging hard on bumps. Not sure where you could run that strap on the new ones.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #6
Chickenshift

Drives: Nissan titan
Convertible hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffFox View Post
Back seat is tiny, do not think a disassembled bike would fit very well if at all. Had my dealer add Thule bicycle rack compatible hitch receiver 1 1/4" for $182.27 including tax. Rated up to 160lbs. Matched black trim of rear bumper nicely and has not been an issue on elevated ramps, aprons or driveways. Also contemplating using it to mount a platform for baggage on road trips.
I just wanted to make sure you and did put that hitch on a 2016 or 17 convertible. I have a 2016 SS convertible that I would like to put a receiver hitch on. That way I can carry two bicycles or a JetSki trailer combo that weighs about 1200 pounds . I would have to use an inch and a quarter adapter for my current2" accessories to fit. However they make those. I have not found a site that sells a Thule receiver hitch, they have several Thule accessories.
Attached Images

Chickenshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:41 AM   #7
Chickenshift

Drives: Nissan titan
Bike in convertible

I'm sure you've already thought of this. However, if you took the front wheel off the bike opened the top and set them in the backseat then close the top I'll bet it would fit fine.
Chickenshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:51 PM   #8
Donner

Drives: 2017 50th SS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenshift View Post
I just wanted to make sure you and did put that hitch on a 2016 or 17 convertible. I have a 2016 SS convertible that I would like to put a receiver hitch on. That way I can carry two bicycles or a JetSki trailer combo that weighs about 1200 pounds . I would have to use an inch and a quarter adapter for my current2" accessories to fit. However they make those. I have not found a site that sells a Thule receiver hitch, they have several Thule accessories.
I have a 17 SS2 convertible (50th edition) and put the bike hitch on mine. The welding shop cut of 1.25 out and put on a 2.0 since all of attachments are of the 2 inch variety. It's the one that bolts to the rear bumper mount bolts; I watched part of the reassembly. That thing is really stout but it will not pull the kind of weight that you are talking about. They are rated for just over 130 pounds or so. There wasn't a wiring kit out yet either; the 6th gens use LED tail lights and that is a very fine gauge wire.

Here's an image of the hitch of the Mighty HABU whilst sitting on the rack (getting her new feet in this pick).

Kindest,

Donner
Attached Images

Donner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:52 PM   #9
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
Yes I had a Chevy dealer order and install a Chevy approved hitch receiver on my 2016 SS Camaro convertible. It is Chevy compatible but no Chevy warranty as it is not made by Chevy and NOT to be used for towing. Thule and other bike racks are 1 1/4 inch so no need for adapter.
Live in WI, bought the car in November, added hitch in December, drove a few more days then stored the car so I have not used the receiver yet.
My thinking is that putting a greasy, dirty bicycle in and out of the back seat would be cumbersome and time consuming at best, potentially hurt my back and damage bike,the interior or top quite easily so why not get a receiver. No issues with the appearance of the receiver or ground clearance.
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:26 PM   #10
GRTJBMuscle16

Thanks for all the replies! I'm flying to Ohio tomorrow to get my car! I live in TN, and I'm driving it back. I started to ask them to add the hitch as part of the deal, but I thought it may be less risk to just get it done at a local dealer so I can go back to them if there are issues.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:30 PM   #11
GRTJBMuscle16

Looks great! Your post reminded me of another pretty important question and I may need to put it in another thread, but... what if I have a flat? There's no spare, and I know they have "run flat" tires, but I don't know much at all about that type of tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donner View Post
I have a 17 SS2 convertible (50th edition) and put the bike hitch on mine. The welding shop cut of 1.25 out and put on a 2.0 since all of attachments are of the 2 inch variety. It's the one that bolts to the rear bumper mount bolts; I watched part of the reassembly. That thing is really stout but it will not pull the kind of weight that you are talking about. They are rated for just over 130 pounds or so. There wasn't a wiring kit out yet either; the 6th gens use LED tail lights and that is a very fine gauge wire.

Here's an image of the hitch of the Mighty HABU whilst sitting on the rack (getting her new feet in this pick).

Kindest,

Donner
Old 02-03-2017, 05:55 AM   #12
Donner

Drives: 2017 50th SS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRTJBMuscle16 View Post
Looks great! Your post reminded me of another pretty important question and I may need to put it in another thread, but... what if I have a flat? There's no spare, and I know they have "run flat" tires, but I don't know much at all about that type of tire.
Thank you. I agree on the thought about tires as well. In my method of thinking, flats on cars without spare tires are handled just like getting a flat on a motorbike. That's why engineers invented cell phones. Or, keep Onstar and they will send out a truck and take it to a dealership...

Kindest,

Donner
Donner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:00 PM   #13
GRTJBMuscle16

I got it, and absolutely love it! It's so fun to drive, I'm afraid I'm going to put 40 or 50K miles a year on it! Here it is...
Old 02-06-2017, 12:39 AM   #14
Diggitydog

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Nightfall Convertible M6
That is a really sharp looking unit. The lines are great. Good color choice too.
Diggitydog is offline   Reply With Quote