Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 05-14-2016, 01:09 PM   #393
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
HP/L matters when everybody is limited to running the same displacement (or when displacements are factored based on valvetrain type or the presence of some power adder).

Just because most drag racing and street competitions don't have displacement limits does not invalidate the HP/L matter generally. I bet that HP/cubic inch matters to the top fuel/funny car/pro stock guys . . .

Norm
Well, yeah, if you are stuck within certain racing regulations, hp/l means something but then the engines will be more or less identical. Comparing hp/l between a DOHC engine, like the Voodoo, and a push rod engine, like the LS7, is meaningless because the DOHC engine should make more hp/l as a function of its design.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #394
Mikey LikesIt

Drives: 2016 Black Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Voodoo's posts are always fun to read. He's still arguing hp/l. I thought people realized that was a meaningless number after the age of 17.

Yeah, the LS7 needs 1.8 more liters but the 5.2 Voodoo needs twice the valves, four times the cams and 2000 more rpm to beat a 10 year old engine.
Voodoo hates Camaros so much, you'd think a relative of his got run over by one or something.
Mikey LikesIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #395
Mikey LikesIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
All good points regarding forced induction. I'd restate the original as four cams and high revs are not a replacement for displacement. Torque and power across the power band is the reward for displacement.

Arguing HP/liter is asinine. It's not noble to build a engine with double the moving parts to spin it faster to move a ~similar~ volume of air/fuel.
It blows my mind how the guys with smaller displacement engines are obsessed with hp/liter. Especially when those engines take up more space, weigh more, and often have less hp while getting worse fuel economy. All engines make trade-offs. You won't see me crying that someone needs 4 camshaft do and high revs to make their power. Run what ya brung and stfu.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #396
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Well, yeah, if you are stuck within certain racing regulations, hp/l means something but then the engines will be more or less identical. Comparing hp/l between a DOHC engine, like the Voodoo, and a push rod engine, like the LS7, is meaningless because the DOHC engine should make more hp/l as a function of its design.
Precisely why I mentioned 'factoring'. This could take the form of pushrod engines being permitted greater displacement than dohc motors running at the same weight, or running at less weight with the same displacement. Same goes for forced induction - I know that some organizations have factored turbocharged engine displacements up by 1.4.

The point is to put engine power vs car weight on more or less even footing and place more emphasis on driver ability and the rest of vehicle setup. Pretty much opposite to drag racing's "just get a bigger hammer" approach.

Norm
Old 05-14-2016, 06:20 PM   #397
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Precisely why I mentioned 'factoring'. This could take the form of pushrod engines being permitted greater displacement than dohc motors running at the same weight, or running at less weight with the same displacement. Same goes for forced induction - I know that some organizations have factored turbocharged engine displacements up by 1.4.

The point is to put engine power vs car weight on more or less even footing and place more emphasis on driver ability and the rest of vehicle setup. Pretty much opposite to drag racing's "just get a bigger hammer" approach.

Norm
Even many professional drag racing sanctioning bodies have similar rules like limited FI displacement vs NA or N2O. Then it becomes a question of track conditions in a lot of cases favoring one type of setup over the other.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:21 PM   #398
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey LikesIt View Post
It blows my mind how the guys with smaller displacement engines are obsessed with hp/liter. Especially when those engines take up more space, weigh more, and often have less hp while getting worse fuel economy. All engines make trade-offs. You won't see me crying that someone needs 4 camshaft do and high revs to make their power. Run what ya brung and stfu.
amen, this is from the LS1 days vs Cobra... HP per liter is a meaningless number and if you want to know my Type R puts out 275 HP at 9200 RPM from 2.1 liters, NA. Does that mean it will beat my SS, it does eat stock R/Ts... gets 30 MPG overall.

The Voodoo, is handbuilt, expensive, hard to work on, has poor fuel economy and judging by how filled the Mustang's engine compartment is, it is bigger than a 460 Ford BB. I still like the engine, but please, HP / Liter. That is like saying my GF was good looking before she gained 80 lbs.

To me if you have deep pockets the 350 is a nice setup and can build from there. If you got kids in college like me, the SS is one great ride at bang for the dollar and it is great stock and can also be built. The 350 just has a whole lot higher entry fee and incremental cost.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 05-14-2016 at 07:33 PM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:00 AM   #399
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
If the Mustang GT was on the same level of performance as the current SS, I'd have been hard-pressed to make a decision. Thankfully, Chevy made it really easy with the home-run they hit with the SS.

I still like the Mustang but the Camaro is just in another league right now. Mustang is a good muscle car...Camaro is now a sports car.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:49 AM   #400
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Even many professional drag racing sanctioning bodies have similar rules like limited FI displacement vs NA or N2O. Then it becomes a question of track conditions in a lot of cases favoring one type of setup over the other.
Understood (and I did address exactly this before).

I suppose I should have specifically excluded the professional level guys just to keep it clear that the bigger hammer approach has always been the amateur drag racer's and the street racer's "go-to" solution. IOW, where drag racing's roots are, not necessarily where its top levels have ultimately gone.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-15-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:02 PM   #401
Mike502

Drives: 2016 C7 conv 7 speed. Black/black
Around town I spend about 80% of my time in the 2000 to 3500 rpm range. If I owned a voodoo it would feel like a 4 banger. The lack of grunt under 4000 rpm must really make the 350 feel slow as hell as a daily driver in city driving. I've got to drive a used one to see for myself. When ford first went to the overhead cam engine it suffered from lack of grunt down low. It took them many years to solve that issue. VCT was the solution and supercharger was a cheap way to get HP.
The power band of the voodoo makes it a good track car and a boring daily driver. In other words a one trick pony.

Last edited by Mike502; 05-15-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Mike502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #402
TheSpectre

Drives: Boxster GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike502 View Post
The power band of the voodoo makes it a good track car and a boring daily driver. In other words a one trick pony.
Don't be so sure of that. There are many ways to work around the fact the Voodoo has to be wound up to extract power, the easiest of which is....just wind it out and stay in a lower gear when puttering around town.

It's like how the general public complains about the poor outwards visibility from inside the Camaro, but everyone who owns one swears up and down that with proper placement of the side mirrors and a little practice, it's no big deal.
TheSpectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:07 PM   #403
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpectre View Post
Don't be so sure of that. There are many ways to work around the fact the Voodoo has to be wound up to extract power, the easiest of which is....just wind it out and stay in a lower gear when puttering around town.

It's like how the general public complains about the poor outwards visibility from inside the Camaro, but everyone who owns one swears up and down that with proper placement of the side mirrors and a little practice, it's no big deal.
I've seen people do Ferraris the same way due to lack of low end power. Sounds good but you are just dumping gas so to speak. Probably not a concern for most but exactly why neither are what you call a good daily driver. Doesn't mean people won't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:43 PM   #404
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

I think everybody who buys a GT350 will eventually find a range of rpms to keep most driving in that provides satisfactory response for them. Sure, that'll likely be a little higher than the rev range that you'd be comfortable driving a 6.2L Camaro in, but finding what that happy rev range is and learning what it takes to stay in it is just part of driving any stick-shift car.

Norm
Old 05-15-2016, 08:51 PM   #405
Mikey LikesIt

My conclusion is that most of us are insane. Just some more so than others.

But can't we all just get along and respect each other and the cars that other people select? I thought about engaging with certain people here and on mustang6, but I concluded that I just don't have the energy...and nothing would be solved if I question why someone else acts so radically and divisive.

Yea, each car will have different qualities which is great because everyone has their own preferences.

Bottom line, I'm happy as heck with my car and so there is no need for me to bash Mustangs or their drivers.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:57 PM   #406
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
I still fail to understand how some feel the GT350 is a "no one's home" situation below a certain rpm. It's torque output is very similar to the gen1 Coyotes to a point, after which it runs away from the old Coyote, and I've never heard similar complaints for those cars.

Here's a short list for comparing of an rpm range from 1500 to 3500, a very "around town" sort of range.

Voodoo@1500rpm = 238tq
.............@2000rpm~ 260tq
.............@2500rpm~ 265tq
.............@3000rpm~ 290tq
.............@3500rpm~ 345tq

For comparison:
New Edge GT 1500rpm~ 210tq
........................2000rpm~ 220tq
........................2500rpm~ 225tq
........................3000rpm~ 225tq
........................3500rpm~ 245tq

S197 GT('10) 1500rpm~?