Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-22-2023, 05:33 AM   #1
NovaSS4spdFan

Drives: 2024 2SS vert w/M6 & Dual Mode. Red
Missing Hardware For Newly Delivered 2024

Gents: I instructed my dealer to do the ABSOLUTE minimum when prepping my long awaited 2024 2SS vert. I told them I'd mount the rear plate, but surprise surprise- no screws or rivets(?) came with the car. Yes, I've been told that some newer GM cars use a rivet system. I did receive the front plate mount (which will stay off) but the screws included are front plate mount exclusive.
Now I fully realize that I can buy screws online from Amazon and the like, but want the GM stuff, period.
I purchased the silicone plate retainer/mount which is pretty good but the screws appear oversized.
If anyone out there has the GM P.N. or a photo of the small parts bag for the Camaro6 rear plate mount , please include a photo.
I plan to speak with the parts dep't to order.
This might seem like overkill over nothing, but that's the way it goes.
NovaSS4spdFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 08:04 AM   #2
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Yea, it’s kinda overkill, stop by dealer and pick up a couple screws (for free) or buy a couple at the local auto parts store and call it a day. Then enjoy your car…
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 08:29 AM   #3
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
get stainless hardware
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 09:44 AM   #4
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
From what I saw on my two sixth gens, "generic" seems to be the standard that dealerships apply to rear plate mounting - i.e. someone grabs two to four screws out of a bin and makes holes in your rear fascia.

You are already ahead of the game by keeping them from "screwing" that up, so I agree with the prior posts -- just buy the appropriate (hardware store) screws to match your desired rear plate setup and you will stay ahead of the game as compared to the potentially random and incompatible* screws the dealership might have used.

(* In my case, I am using black screw caps on my license plates, so the screw heads needed to be under a certain diameter.)

Last edited by The Maverick; 10-22-2023 at 09:15 PM.
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 10:14 AM   #5
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Lol JFC
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 10:27 AM   #6
PostalLDMC

Drives: 2022 2LT RS Convertible
Remember to watch when you pump gas. it may spill on the goofy cap they have. Plus water sits on top of the cap with rain.
PostalLDMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 10:45 AM   #7
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302crossram View Post
get stainless hardware
Yep. I never use dealer parts. Just get rust streaks down the plate. All galvanized or anodized steel rusts eventually.
Unfortunately, if you have any galvanized plumbing in your house, it tends to rust from the inside out because that's where the turbulence knocks off the coating.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 09:37 PM   #8
Shock2019

Drives: 2022 Chevrolet Camaro SS1LE Vivid O
I installed rivnuts in the bumper cover as one of the factory (aka PDI tech) screw holes was stripped. Now I have nice stainless steel phillips head screws. The rivnuts and tool are available on Amazon. It’s a handy tool to have around especially for mounting in plastics or sheet metal.
Shock2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 07:46 AM   #9
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
From what I saw on my two sixth gens, "generic" seems to be the standard that dealerships apply to rear plate mounting - i.e. someone grabs two to four screws out of a bin and makes holes in your rear fascia.
It's not the dealership standard, that's how GM wants them installed. They include a small plastic bag with the screws in it.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 09:08 AM   #10
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
Definitely overkill but you do you homie
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 03:39 PM   #11
DEADBYDAWN

Drives: Chevy Camaro 98Z/28 Black, ‘24 2SS
I told the salesman right before they drilled the license plate holes tell them not to put the dealer plate holder on. Ten minutes later he brings the car back around and it has the dealer plate holder on it. So he takes it off and puts the 4 screws in his pocket.
After all the signing he goes out to put the tag on. I get home that night and he only installed the top 2 screws. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! My wife goes by the next day to get a couple screws and when she gets home they are some type of dull aluminum. Sorry if I expect too much but I have two chrome and two dull aluminum screws that aren’t going on the car.
So I order my own stainless locking kit but they aren’t even close to fitting the holes they made.
I know how dealerships are but because the guy didn’t feel like putting in the two bottom screws I have to go through this extra nonsense.
To the OP- you are right you shouldn’t even be dealing with finding screws after paying a chunk for a new ride. Over 60k and no screws for the plate
DEADBYDAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 04:31 PM   #12
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADBYDAWN View Post
I told the salesman right before they drilled the license plate holes tell them not to put the dealer plate holder on. Ten minutes later he brings the car back around and it has the dealer plate holder on it. So he takes it off and puts the 4 screws in his pocket.
After all the signing he goes out to put the tag on. I get home that night and he only installed the top 2 screws. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! My wife goes by the next day to get a couple screws and when she gets home they are some type of dull aluminum. Sorry if I expect too much but I have two chrome and two dull aluminum screws that aren’t going on the car.
So I order my own stainless locking kit but they aren’t even close to fitting the holes they made.
I know how dealerships are but because the guy didn’t feel like putting in the two bottom screws I have to go through this extra nonsense.
To the OP- you are right you shouldn’t even be dealing with finding screws after paying a chunk for a new ride. Over 60k and no screws for the plate
Just feel blessed they used the proper location dimples when installing it! If finding the screws you want and need is the least of the issues you are one step ahead
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 04:33 PM   #13
DEADBYDAWN

Novass4speedfan- I found these which are the dull type I mentioned.

https://www.gmpartscenter.net/oem-pa...Y4LWdhcw%3D%3D

Search 2024 camaro license plate screws on eb*y and you will find the shiny stainless ones.

It appears most people don’t know the original gm screws are stainless.

Last edited by DEADBYDAWN; 01-23-2024 at 11:11 PM. Reason: spelling and added another link
Old 01-23-2024, 04:38 PM   #14
DEADBYDAWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
Just feel blessed they used the proper location dimples when installing it! If finding the screws you want and need is the least of the issues you are one step ahead
You are right sir. I was amazed GM risks letting the dealer do this. I am really happy I actually got the car. Four dealerships and 9 months later.