Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #29
xk49

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007s 'Vert View Post
Trophies? Lol.......who woulda thunk that a new car should get a trophy?
Im old school when it comes to trophies for cars, when someone fully restores a classic and spends endless amounts of time and energy maintaining the car, im my opinion those folks deserve a trophy!
Anybody can mod and detail a newer car.....its easy! Heck they can even just take it to some shop and pay to have mods and details done on the car. To me, the only trophy they deserve is the pleasure of the result of their mods or detail work.
I completely disagree. Newer cars are much more complicated to modified in a lot of aspects. Ever try to do a complete audio upgrade on these cars, change the interior, add a supercharger, and I don't mean some shop either(and oh by the way, thats what a lot of people do with the old school stuff, have a shop do it).

The only difference between an old school car and a modern muscle car is the amount of rust.

P.S. Please don't judge my cars "show worthyness" as I just bought it and have many future hours of work ahead of me.
Flowmaster Force II Axle back, Kooks LT's and Highflow Cats, Oracle Side Makers, BC Coilovers, E-Force Supercharger, Rotofab Intake, HexVents, ACS T4 Splitter/Rockers/Wind Deflectors, Aeroforce dual pod, Autometer boost/WB analog gauges, MRR M228 20x10 20x11 Nitto Invo 275/315's, CDC Sport Bar, Tuned by Slowhawk Performance.
xk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #30
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
no fret, you only gave up 15 clams..
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #31
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Reminds me of a Chili/ Salsa cookoff, I entered the Salsa one with a recipe from a mexican restaurant in Southern California a place where there salsa is so good they sell over 10 gallons a day of it , and it took me 15 years to get the recipe from the guy , I made it and the crowd got to sample it for 2 hours before the awards where given out . Everyone that tried it said hands down best salsa here and asked where they could buy it , So I felt pretty good about winning it. , Award time comes and I do not even place in the top 5 . That was the last and only time I ever entered one of those stupid contests .
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:02 AM   #32
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Being a old motor head who built a lot of old school rides...... they are a lot easier to build yes, and in the day were and are a lot more plentiful. I used to chrome everything and yes it looks beautiful and the cost is way cheaper than our mods. Many people do not realize that but do realize good looks as appearance is 99% of everything. I go to car shows though rarely enter and just go to show and look at others cars as yes they do not usually have categories for newer muscle cars, and never enough even when sponsored by a new muscle car club...... And I do not have a super lazy life where I go to every show and sit in my chair in the shade all day waiting..., rather I go I look and want to leave. I never expect I will win anything if I do enter as it is newer and it is just nice to surprise people when I rumble in with my rad cam and headers letting them know ..... yes its a hot rod Camaro.

Just to share a story with you: I work at the a state pen, I am the guy who has too also procure lots of materials for our facility construction projects and I buy the materials to make the trophies such as regularly the polyeurethane and wood etc...and our trophies are hand crafted and shaped how ever and are not just a bought item..they are georgeous hand shaped burled wood with little guard towers or gas stations with working light up pumps etc..... really .... the best. And I expected nothing and got nothing even though My car was the most loved and photographed car at the pen car show inside the walls, my car had more money put into it in the last year compared to any car there, and my car was one of few that are true daily drivers Sure there was a couple nice new rides a mr.norms 700 h.p. supercharged challenger, and lowered ground effected 300 etc..... But hands down they loved mine the most it seems though who ever the inmates judging were had a thing for the older cars even though I had listed all my mods on a piece of paper by my dyno graph and yes sometimes you cannot win for nuthin!!!!!! afterwards the guys who ran the activity would ask me what trophy I got....lol and could not believe I won nothing along with all the inmates. And at the end yes they auction off a couple special trophies......... these went for 600$ and 800$ that's how nice they are...one had a complete weather station with brass barometer etc.....

SO it just goes to show expect nothing, go for the friendship, I went for the inmates to finally see my car inside the walls to show them the fruits of my labors..as do many others that work there and have a garage queen or cycle etc... To show them they could change there life and work in construction and have nice things some day. ANd BTW it was friggin over 90 that day and to get a couple hundred cars and bikes in a maximum security pen scanned in with heart beat monitors and through sets if gates takes hours..and to get in and out took over 12 hours with the show which cost $35 with breakfast and lunch........ Its a real experience alright, one I think I will skip on for like forever now...lol Though for those who did win..... damn well worth it compared to any other show anywhere the trophies are worth it ten times over and they have a free raffle for stuff....and like everyone get a bag of goodies and lots of admiration.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #33
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Don't worry about it to much, that's why I quit going, most of the time they're biased when I can say I easily have twice as much in my car than they do in their restoration. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's worth more. And let's not mention that all that "restoration" that most people do they pay some shop to do all the work so their argument is invalid, but don't tell them that they get very angry lol.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #34
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
no fret, you only gave up 15 clams..
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:28 AM   #35
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaram View Post
New cars are cool. But old cars rule. Hard to fight against nostalgia.
Bingo....
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #36
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Car shows are the figure skating of the automotive world!
Old 09-28-2014, 12:38 PM   #37
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinpin View Post
So my self and 7 of my friends go to a car show to today with our Camaros . The show was advertised for any make any year all cars welcome ... So when we got there we saw a allot of modern mussel cars .. It was nice. There where allot of very well done and unique modern cars right along side the oldies. The cars that where there where made up of 50% modern (2005 to 2014) and 50% oldies ( 1975 ans earlier) and there where like 3 or 4 cars from the 80s . But when it came to trophy time not one trophy went to a car over 1970 and i was a little put off . Not because my self or any of my buddies did not win . It was because it was apparent the judges where only interested in the old cars. Which is fine if that what it is an (oldies show ) . It was almost like they just wonted us there to collect the $15 registration fee . Next year will we be skipping that show because if you are going to advertise the show is for modern cars as well as oldies they should have a trophy or too go to that group as well. Believe me there where more then a few modern cars there that where worthy of a trophy . They where just over looked because of the year there cars where made .
I have seen this a lot. I have also seen a lot of people who don't understand how a judged car show works. Some shows have rules. Example: a convertible must have the top up, or the car is not judged and is ineligible to win anything, as it will not even be judged. might be the best car in the nation. It won't win the show if the roof is down.

1) The show was advertised for any make any year all cars welcome

Did you assume that meant all years cars would be part of judging for trophies? Some cars might not have won any trophies because the cars were not part of judging. "Advertised for any make any year all cars welcome" only means that you can show any year car, and you're welcome to do so. Did they deny the new car owners the ability to show?

2) But when it came to trophy time not one trophy went to a car over 1970 and i was a little put off. Not because my self or any of my buddies did not win . It was because it was apparent the judges where only interested in the old cars.

How did you determine that? Did you talk to the judges or owners and find out what the judging was supposed to be based on, or do you just assume this because no newer cars won anything? If you did not see how the cars were judged or talk to anybody about why certain cars might win or lose, then I'm not sure you even understand how the show works.

3) Next year will we be skipping that show because if you are going to advertise the show is for modern cars as well as oldies they should have a trophy or too go to that group as well.

Did you convey this concern to an organizer, or are you just pissed off based on assumptions? If you spoke to an organizer and they won't listen, then sure, don't go back. If you didn't, then I don't know how your concern will ever be addressed.

4) Believe me there where more then a few modern cars there that where worthy of a trophy .

Based on what? The fact they were cool? How do you know those cars did not legitimately earn less points than the car that won? Cool cars are always cool. But the only award based on that should be the 'People's Choice' trophy.

5) just over looked because of the year there cars where made.

That seems to be an assumption.

Look, car shows are sometimes not "show and shine". Some are events judged by not one group of judges, but many. Sometimes there's a judged portion of a show, and it's just a portion, not the whole thing. How do you even know the cool newer cars were eligible for each trophy? I used to enter a classic car in a show in which there were Oakland experts judging Oaklands, not just any car in the Oakland's class. That group of judges was one of five or six judges for club members only, based on the particular club the cars' owners qualified for and were members of. The same year car by another maker right next to one of those Oaklands, in better shape, would never ever win the trophy. But to the layman that doesn't know...One year my car- which shouldn't win anything- beat a much nice car, same car, in points. I didn't win anything at all, and neither did that other car. But I had more points becasue I didn't lose points by violating rules of judging. My windows were up. His weren't. My hood was open. His wasn't. I was there when the judge showed up. The other guy wasn't.

Some shows are judged on the quality of workmanship alone. Some are not. Can you agree that the quality of workmanship on a 1970 Chevelle, restored so that the correct amount and colors of overspray are present on the underbody, with the proper paper tags on suspension parts, etc, might be comparable or superior to a 2010 Camaro that didn't need restoration?

You need to understand what is being judged and how before you claim judge or show bias. For all you know, the owners of the newer cars could have taken each trophy if they had only read the rules of judging more closely.

Last edited by ChrisBlair; 09-28-2014 at 12:55 PM.
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:42 PM   #38
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xk49 View Post
I completely disagree. Newer cars are much more complicated to modified in a lot of aspects. Ever try to do a complete audio upgrade on these cars, change the interior, add a supercharger, and I don't mean some shop either(and oh by the way, thats what a lot of people do with the old school stuff, have a shop do it).

The only difference between an old school car and a modern muscle car is the amount of rust.

P.S. Please don't judge my cars "show worthyness" as I just bought it and have many future hours of work ahead of me.
And that the parts are still in production for a new car, of course. Find me the correct, non-repro center caps for a 1970 Buick GSX please, or the right date code block for an L-head six '72 Chevelle, or an original aircleaner for a '69 Trans Am, or the correct distributor coded for a particular month production of a '67 Corvette.

You seem to feel that any old thing will do so long as its new looking and clean. You couldn't be more off base on that.

It is easier now for old car owners, sure. But still, try to find the right ribbed windshield washer hose for some of these old cars. That's a judging point. lots of judging points. We know how to break down VINs and sequence numbers very well for these cars by now. Some shows have judges that know how to spot repro parts and deduct points for them. And some things that are even New Old Stock can be installed with the wrong grade bolt- points deducted! No hightower hose clamps? Points deducted. Surface rust on those suspension parts that were factory non-plated or painted mild steel? Points deducted. Wrong grain wood applique on the heater control face? Points deducted. Old car restorers- even those that pay big money for a shop to do it- need the right parts, not just expensive new parts. I know a guy that had to get a fabric maker to custom make the right weight and grain fabric for his car's seats- the material didn't exist any more. Tires? Well, bias-plys of course, for many of those cars. No steel belted radials...those mean points deducted for many cars.

Nobody is saying that new cars suck or that they are easy to work on. But trying to say that you only need to address 'rust' in an old car tells me that you have little experience with them.

Last edited by ChrisBlair; 09-28-2014 at 12:54 PM.
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #39
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
My brother in law does a lot of shows with his Corvette. One thing he has always said is that the locals will get the awards. If it is a big show drawing from many cities, you have a chance, but if it is a local show put on by a local car club, their members are going to win.
I have been in club sponsered shows where club members were not allowed to be judged for awards. I think that is the fair way to do it.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #40
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Come on, give those garage queens a break. The owners spend more time cleaning than they do driving. Ill take a day out driving over sitting around waiting to die.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #41
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
Old or new doesnt matter. If you have a brand new car looks better than the old cars it should win. Thats the fault of the organization for not being upfront and being greedy
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #42
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
Come on, give those garage queens a break. The owners spend more time cleaning than they do driving. Ill take a day out driving over sitting around waiting to die.
That's the kind of talk that gives New Car guys a rep for being punks. Plenty of new cars are garage queens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc615 View Post
Old or new doesnt matter. If you have a brand new car looks better than the old cars it should win. Thats the fault of the organization for not being upfront and being greedy
"looks better" is subjective and that's why shows often have judges using a points system.

Car shows usually exist for two reasons:

1) to raise money, sometimes exclusively

2) to allow members of clubs and organizations a chance to compete

It's incidental that people get to ogle the cars in case #2 because the show was for the owners.

For all we know the new cars where not even eligible to be judged in a class that had a trophy available. Do you know what the criteria for judging was? I don't.