Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-09-2013, 04:54 AM   #1
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
? about a vert compared to the hard top

IF you have a vert how hard is the top to take care of?
Is it harder to keep the inside cool in the summer compared to a hard top?
does a vert get hotter on the inside while just sitting in the sun parked ?\
anyone who owns a 5 gen vert regret it,if so let me know why thks
gen=5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen=5 View Post
IF you have a vert how hard is the top to take care of?
does a vert get hotter on the inside while just sitting in the sun parked ?\
anyone who owns a 5 gen vert regret it,if so let me know why thks

IF you have a vert how hard is the top to take care of? - Requires a bit more care, like lint rolling, can't put my coffee cup on the top while I get stuff out of the trunk. Don't put it down wet.

does a vert get hotter on the inside while just sitting in the sun parked ? - Don't have a coupe to compare it with. I'm in Florida, all cars get hot.

No regrets, even with the top troubles that are so common.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
see threads under vert posts. i am looking at new 13 verts . i hear the 11 and 12's had alot of issues, but supposedly 13s some improvements made.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
see threads under vert posts. i am looking at new 13 verts . i hear the 11 and 12's had alot of issues, but supposedly 13s some improvements made.
If you buy an 11 or 12 just make sure all tsb have been performed. I haven't had any issues with mine since the last tsb was done
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
rolltide. i know this question is brought up a million times, but how have you adjusted to the blind spots in vert? man, that back window is small. i drive a 98 firebird with t tops, and that car is all glass. when i test drove the vert, it will be adjustment. i just dont want to be running into folks changing lanes on hwy or backing in to peeps. the back up camera is a must. thanks
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Dznyfn

Drives: 13 1SS Vert, 05 Tahoe Z71, 67 RS/SS
Had a 11 coupe, now a 13 vert and absolutely no regrets for the change. Heat is the same, a little more upkeep but the enjoyment outweighs the little amount of upkeep.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
rolltide. i know this question is brought up a million times, but how have you adjusted to the blind spots in vert? man, that back window is small. i drive a 98 firebird with t tops, and that car is all glass. when i test drove the vert, it will be adjustment. i just dont want to be running into folks changing lanes on hwy or backing in to peeps. the back up camera is a must. thanks
Set your mirrors properly and there is no problem. I don't have a blind spot and I have never had an issue. There's a YouTube video somewhere on how your side mirrors should be set.
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
Mpsmith1

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
+1 on adjusting the mirrors. Here's one good video on adjusting them.

I would say verts get a BIT hotter than coupes, but I had my windows tinted and that helped a TON! And I've never had an issue with my '11 top, but its certainly a possibility in the future.
Mpsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
The ragtop rules! I haven't really had a blind spot problem and there sure isn't any when the top is down.

Actually, found there to be less maintenance on the top, overall. After a good cleaning I applied a waterproofing to it, really heavy duty one, "Sunbrella 303" that boaters use. Stuff is amazing. So after that, just brush off any dust now and then but usually just driving does most of the work.

Think the car is as hot as any under the sun all day, can't compare. One thing I did notice is how amazingly quiet it is in the cabin given having a ragtop, that is impressive.

Overall, love the vert!
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
303 is the best. I found what I miss most about my vert is the head room.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
I have done absolutely nothing to protect my top over the last 30,000 miles. I never use the tonneau cover. I take it through car washes. I put it down wet. I break all the rules. It works fine and looks great. Mines tan though, so maybe lint is an issue on the black top.

It's freezing cold in the summer because the darn AC is so good. In the winter I rarely run the heat because the heated seats are really nice.

As far as parking it in the sun, my suburban gets hotter in the sun than my vert, it's crazy hot inside that thing, but my suburban is black.

PS - regarding blind spots - there are none. Once I adjusted my mirrors this became the first car I've ever owned without blind spots. However, if you get an 11, you won't get the backup camera, that was new in 12. Backing up the vert without the camera is a blind proposition. I mean in parking lots. But yeah you just back out very slowly. It's scary, but I've never been anywhere near someone running into me. Not yet.
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
As far as maintanence goes, I would say it's the same. You should wash and wax a hard top, and you should wash and apply a protectant to a soft top. The fabric does show lint and if you are anal about that you may spend some time removing it. I don't notice it being any hotter in the summer or cooler in the winter. The top is well insulated and cloth doesn't conduct heat like metal does. I have driven both the convertible and the coupe and I honestly think the visibility in the convertible is better overall. Of course it is better when the top is down. With the top up the blind spot in the C pillar is bigger, but I can actually see over my shoulder since there is no giant B pillar blocking the view. When I look over my shoulder in the coupe all I see is black plastic. I say get yourself a convertible!
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote