Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #15
2L82RUN

Drives: ABM SS/RS
I had heard it was discontinued due to ABM being the lowest sold color at the time. I attributed it to the fact that the color sample GM put in their brochures made ABM appear to be more of a teal green tinted blue color. When folks see ABM in person they flip out and I constantly hear that isn't anything like the color sample I saw. Definitely a color you have to see in person (and in sunlight) to appreciate. Proud to be one of the few blue!!
2L82RUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #16
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L82RUN View Post
I had heard it was discontinued due to ABM being the lowest sold color at the time. I attributed it to the fact that the color sample GM put in their brochures made ABM appear to be more of a teal green tinted blue color. When folks see ABM in person they flip out and I constantly hear that isn't anything like the color sample I saw. Definitely a color you have to see in person (and in sunlight) to appreciate. Proud to be one of the few blue!!
This! Had they had a. ABM camaro at the dealerships as a demo, a LOT more would've sold. Because they had to be ordered, a color chip was all you had and does absolutely no justice as to much POP the color has in sunlight. I know women tend to wet the panties at the site of it

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #17
bluetooth-ss

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS A6 and 2018 2500
Please don't.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #18
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Regardless, GM or any other OEM for that matter, isn't in the business to market colors. If they don't sell they move on. It's that simple.

It sounds like you guys are saying that if the dealer simply fronted money for ABM cars that more would have sold or if GM had done a better of a color swatch in the brochure it would have sold.

I always feel like you guys are trying to defend your color choice. I'd just be happy my car was more rare and that I personally was happy with my color.

Blues are always going to be low runners. When we shopped for our Audi the dealer said he had a beautiful used A4 Avant but he couldn't give it away (his exageration cuz I would have taken it on the spot ) because it was...................BLUE.

From PPG, one of the top paint suppliers here are the 2012 numbers. In Europe, Asia and NA, Blue is at 7 and 8%.

http://www.ppg.com/en/newsroom/news/...20121010A.aspx

Regional details regarding PPG’s 2012 automotive color popularity data:
In North America, white ranks first (21 percent), followed by black (19 percent), silver and gray (16 percent each), red (10 percent), blue (8 percent), natural (7 percent) and green (3 percent).

In Europe, white is also most popular (23 percent), followed by black (21 percent), gray (17 percent), silver (13 percent), blue, natural and red (7 percent each), other colors (3 percent) and green (2 percent).

In the Asia Pacific region, silver and white tied for most popular (23 percent each), followed by black (19 percent), natural (10 percent), red (9 percent), gray (8 percent), blue (7 percent) and green (1 percent).

Love ABM. Have a ton of photos of one of the early LTs in ABM and it was a beautiful car. It just isn't my favorite and the numbers from PPG show it isn't a lot of peoples favorite.

The only thing GM would care about is how many people out there are NOT buying a Camaro because ABM isn't available.
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #19
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
What an informed post. Nice job.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #20
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stikSS View Post
ABM wasn't discontinued for lack of sales... it was the first of colors that were supposed to be a limited time offer... it was followed by the SGM which was only around a year if that long. I inquired about this long ago with our friends from upper management and that was the repsonse that was given. I think the overwhelming demand for the color after the plan was discontinued caught them off guard thats why SGM stayed in the market a little longer.
ABM was a slow seller.
I believe it was one of the least popular colors the year it was available.

As mentioned in some other posts, a different blue would be a better choice.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #21
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L82RUN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
ABM was a slow seller.
I believe it was one of the least popular colors the year it was available.

As mentioned in some other posts, a different blue would be a better choice.
Yes it was a low seller and that is why it was discontinued and I don't think it will ever come back. That is fine by me. But I also strongly agree with the first post about online images, paint samples and such did never did the color justice. I have always been a fan of blue, but I never even considered ABM until I started seeing real shots of the color. Then my mind was changed. So based on my experience, I'm sure others felt the same.

Would enough have bought it to keep it around if they had seen it in person?? Who knows....maybe not.

But to me....this new Kinetic blue is the best of the blues. It is the perfect medium blue and looks to pop in the sun without having too much teal on cloudy days. I guess if GM every decides to make it a general color instead of special edition that will really tell the tale.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #22
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Bring it back!

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:05 AM   #23
Grimlock
dey see me rollin

Drives: the magic school bus
Kinetic blue > IBM > ABM.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:30 AM   #24
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Petition won't matter, sales figures tell the tale. And as noted above, very likely the "Hot Wheels" blue will most likely be available (for 2014) as the money has already been spent to get it certified.

So what you really need, is for everyone that wants blue, to make a purchase when it's available. But most likely, it will suffer the same fate.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #25
Ant

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT/RS (V6)
Well the petition isn't specifically for ABM...it's for ABM or a similar medium color to be produced on all Camaros.

Do you guys really think Kinetic Blue will be on all models soon?
Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #26
schleprock67

Drives: Inperial Blue 2SS
Blue is great, I have an IBM, but...

I think it is time for something way down the color spectrum. I want an Indigo color, so deep that it sucks all the light around it out of the sky. It will look black as pitch at night, and glow like a sapphire in the daylight.

It would look good on every car GM makes, and possibly hide dirt better than the current Black and Imperial Blue versions do.

Last edited by schleprock67; 02-17-2013 at 10:05 PM.
schleprock67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #27
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Regardless, GM or any other OEM for that matter, isn't in the business to market colors. If they don't sell they move on. It's that simple.

It sounds like you guys are saying that if the dealer simply fronted money for ABM cars that more would have sold or if GM had done a better of a color swatch in the brochure it would have sold.

I always feel like you guys are trying to defend your color choice. I'd just be happy my car was more rare and that I personally was happy with my color.

Blues are always going to be low runners. When we shopped for our Audi the dealer said he had a beautiful used A4 Avant but he couldn't give it away (his exageration cuz I would have taken it on the spot ) because it was...................BLUE.

From PPG, one of the top paint suppliers here are the 2012 numbers. In Europe, Asia and NA, Blue is at 7 and 8%.

http://www.ppg.com/en/newsroom/news/...20121010A.aspx

Regional details regarding PPG’s 2012 automotive color popularity data:
In North America, white ranks first (21 percent), followed by black (19 percent), silver and gray (16 percent each), red (10 percent), blue (8 percent), natural (7 percent) and green (3 percent).

In Europe, white is also most popular (23 percent), followed by black (21 percent), gray (17 percent), silver (13 percent), blue, natural and red (7 percent each), other colors (3 percent) and green (2 percent).

In the Asia Pacific region, silver and white tied for most popular (23 percent each), followed by black (19 percent), natural (10 percent), red (9 percent), gray (8 percent), blue (7 percent) and green (1 percent).

Love ABM. Have a ton of photos of one of the early LTs in ABM and it was a beautiful car. It just isn't my favorite and the numbers from PPG show it isn't a lot of peoples favorite.

The only thing GM would care about is how many people out there are NOT buying a Camaro because ABM isn't available.

THIS.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #28
cheaplabor
It the toybox 4 winter

Drives: LSA 68f100 pickup/2010 rs/2ss abm
The abm in the brochure was so nasty that my local dealer wouldn't order it without me signing that my deposit was non refundable, he has since tried several times to entice me into selling it back! I'd like to start a petition against any more med blue builds
cheaplabor is offline   Reply With Quote