#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-13-2024, 06:10 AM   #15
BanOne

Drives: 1977 Pontiac Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
The results of my inquiry returned very promising options. I am excited! I am also feeling relieved because I am starting to realize that I don't think I will have to pull out the interior and replace my windshield. Our factory installed Data Recorder costs $1300, so if Garmin, or any other seller can offer a comparable resource, I would be willing to pay a comparable price. I wish I could offer data acquisition, & feature additions, but I am a newbie in this area.

What about adding more data to a HUD? Making the HUD screen configurable? Also make the HUD display unit movable, so you could place it in a location to your liking. I wonder about making the HUD a thin strip, like 12-18" long, so you can locate the data along the bottom of the windshield, or along the top. Maybe this device/display could also show the chosen data from the front as well. Obviously this display unit would not be able to show the track, so there could be an additional display module that would be appropriate for a larger square HUD display.

One last thing would be a "Screen Capture" button that would automatically capture the current screen and automatically save it in a folder.

Mr. SLED, Thank you for the intriguing information. I will wait for your product. I was really dreading the amount of work/effort involved.
Brett...
So I think you misunderstand, he is not talking about improvements of any hardware that exists on the car (changing the HUD would require reprogramming at a min and new hardware to move it around). He is talking about the after market Garmin system which has no interaction currently with the car.
BanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:45 AM   #16
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanOne View Post
So I think you misunderstand, he is not talking about improvements of any hardware that exists on the car (changing the HUD would require reprogramming at a min and new hardware to move it around). He is talking about the after market Garmin system which has no interaction currently with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Hardware wise, I'd love something that is similar to the Race Capture Track V2 (not the V3). Small and light accelerometer puck that can be mounted nearly anywhere quickly and non-permanently (like velcro to carpeting). Separate GPS antenna. OBD connection reading CAN. It has to be CAN (with as many presets as possible). If it's just basic OBD PIDs, who cares?

I'd like it to connect connect via bluetooth to multiple devices on multiple platforms because I'd want to use with Solostorm running on an Android tablet for logging and review and iOS on my phone with a Catalyst-like display doing Catlyst-like coaching while running.

If it doesn't give me anything I can't do now with a Race Capture Track V2 plus tablet plus external video camera of my choosing, I'm not going to be interested.

If it's under $500, I'll buy it. If it's $501-$750, I'll have to see it in action and be convinced it's "better" (but I'll almost certainly buy it anyway in a late night or early morning "ef it"). If it's over $750, I'll buy one...used at something far south of $750 or go without.
good info. I'll pass this along. thanks!

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 02:32 AM   #17
Brettallen59

Drives: 2023 ZL1 - 1969 SS396
I am not talking about any existing hardware either. I am talking about adding it to the aftermarket device, to include it so it comes with the Garmin. It would be placed on dash to project it to the windshield, and also show the data out the front. The existing HUD would remain as is. Sorry if I'm thinking way out there, lol.....
Old 03-14-2024, 08:54 PM   #18
dfxrte

Drives: 22 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
I work in product development at Garmin. Stay tuned.

dfxrte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 01:44 PM   #19
ZED SLED

Quote:
I work in product development at Garmin. Stay tuned.
Still not at liberty to confirm or deny there are any new products in the pipeline
But if there were, it would probably not be available until Q1 or Q2 next year.
Also cannot confirm or deny Can bus interface availability
I'll keep you guys posted on other things I cannot confirm or deny as they come along

Old 04-04-2024, 07:21 PM   #20
BanOne

Drives: 1977 Pontiac Trans Am
Quote:
Still not at liberty to confirm or deny there are any new products in the pipeline
I'll keep you guys posted on other things I cannot confirm or deny as they come along
Thanks for the not updating us.
BanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 10:14 PM   #21
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Quote:
Already own a catalyst. Holding off from buying an Aim too. Really hopeful there’ll be some sort of expansion pack that makes my unit work with whatever is or isn’t in the works!
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 10:29 PM   #22
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Personally, for the $1000 price point, I feel the Garmin is absolute trash. Absolute trash.

I've researched this heavily and the closest thing you will get to the Cosworth PDR system is the SmartyCam setup combined with the Aim Solo 2DL (data logging capability) ==AND== using an add-on such as the the kit found at the following link to get tire pressure and tire temp wheel data:

https://trailbrake.com/tire-tpms/

This setup total could cost you approximately $2,000-$2,500
(https://www.aimtechnologies.com/smar...ouble-bracket/)

The downside is that the Race Studio Software that is needed to understand the data is NOT user friendly. I work in IT and it is an absolute nightmare to use for the uninitiated.

The good part of the smartycam aim solo2 DL combo is that the camera will start recording as soon as the GPS picks up movement. No more reaching for the button to turn the camera on and off. No more synching the data overlay in the videos either. It does it all for you.
NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 07:19 AM   #23
ZED SLED

sooo...Not having PDR on my ZL1 and being a novice myself, I'm looking for input as to what kind of data you guys would like to see from the CAN bus in an aftermarket system. I'm certain the design team (If in fact there is a design team) is aware of what is required, but I'm looking to ensure all the bases are covered. So far I have:

speed
rpm
throttle
braking
steering angle
lateral Gs
longitudinal Gs
gear selection
tire pressure
tire temperature
individual wheel speed
suspension displacement
yaw
outdoor air temperature

Is there anything else that might be useful e.g., PTM mode ? e-diff info, etc.?

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2024, 03:11 PM   #24
clyde

Drives: broken
Quote:
sooo...Not having PDR on my ZL1 and being a novice myself, I'm looking for input as to what kind of data you guys would like to see from the CAN bus in an aftermarket system. I'm certain the design team (If in fact there is a design team) is aware of what is required, but I'm looking to ensure all the bases are covered. So far I have:

speed
rpm
throttle
braking
steering angle
lateral Gs
longitudinal Gs
gear selection
tire pressure
tire temperature
individual wheel speed
suspension displacement
yaw
outdoor air temperature

Thanks!
A couple other things to add to that list to be included in a preset

eLSD lockup %
Oil pressure
Oil temp
Intake air temp
Coolant temp
Trans temp
Yaw rate of change
Roll
Roll rate of change

Being able to pull any other data of the CANbus, run scripts, etc would also be sweet (really, enabling everything that Autosport Labs has on the Race Capture Track, adding video, and providing a better interface would be ideal).
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 11:13 PM   #25
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue ZL1
Quote:

speed
rpm
throttle
braking
steering angle
lateral Gs
longitudinal Gs
gear selection
tire pressure
tire temperature
individual wheel speed
suspension displacement
yaw
outdoor air temperature

Thanks!
What was said above my post as well as:

Fuel pressure (High and low side)
PTM mode
MAT2 temperature (or IAT3 on some gauges)
Ethanol % for us tuned guys

Performance: Kong X-Port OEM blower, 1 7/8" TSP headers (Polydyn coated), Corsa Intake/X-pipe/NPP Exhaust, LT5 95MM TB, DSX FlexFuel sensor, Dedicated Motorsports inline fuel filter, Katech Dual fuel pump, WeaponX Boost freeze chiller, WeaponX center and aux HX, PWR oil cooler, and Elite E-2X catch can. Tuned by Pat G 731 WHP on a Mustang Dyno.

Suspension/Brakes: Eibach lowering springs, Vorshlag camber plates, Full SPL rear control arms, DSC Sport suspension controller, Blackwing F/R brake cooling ducts.
Rapid_blue_zl1_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 07:04 AM   #26
ZED SLED

good input guys. Thanks. Keep 'em comin'!

Old 04-16-2024, 07:10 AM   #27
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
I'd also reiterate oil pressure, and temperature. Maybe Trans Temp as well.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:41 AM   #28
BLACK3R

Drives: 2023 2SS 1LE
Can Garmin add a function to add "open tracks or point to point tracks"? aka autocross, hill climb, drag strip etc...
Attached Images

BLACK3R is offline   Reply With Quote