Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-23-2016, 03:31 PM   #1
VinnysMusubi

Drives: 2014 RS Spring Edition summit white
V8 swap into a 2014 2LT RS is it worth it?

Hey all,

I have a 2014 RS Spring edition. I love this car. But I want more power. So either im going with twin turbo to the v6 or I want to swap into an LS3.
I also think it would be very cool to have a twin turbo v6 and eat up someone with a v8 jsut for shits and giggles. But....
I feel like if I go with the Twins that I could potentially (Play hard) and blow it. and end up doing a swap anyway. OR should I just go ahead and do a Swap...

Another thing is people have told me that it would be a simple swap. Motor, trans,axles/gears. is that true? or would everything electronic need to be done too?

I really like the way this car looks and to have a v8 model that looks this good would be pretty spendy. Unless I find a Spring edition v8 of course.
I basically settled for this car because I told my self that It would be my Daily. And that i know I wont race so why go for the V8.. lol LIES!!!
VinnysMusubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #2
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
There are detailed threads of people that have tried. Your not gonna be able to do a V8 swap unless you want to pay more than the cost of an SS. It's not simple.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:38 PM   #3
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Also consider suspension, brakes and then the working out of all the bugs over time. My opinion, you'll be happier finding a V8 Spring Edition and calling it a day if a V8 is what you're after
Old 06-23-2016, 03:41 PM   #4
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Time to trade UP!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:41 PM   #5
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
There are detailed threads of people that have tried. Your not gonna be able to do a V8 swap unless you want to pay more than the cost of an SS. It's not simple.
Listen to the Homeless guy
Old 06-23-2016, 03:42 PM   #6
SS/RS2010

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
In addition to the aforementioned suspension and brakes, not sure the transmission will match up, V6 version may also have different wiring, etc.....prolly an expensive endeavor.
SS/RS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:43 PM   #7
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnysMusubi View Post
Hey all,

I have a 2014 RS Spring edition. I love this car. But I want more power. So either im going with twin turbo to the v6 or I want to swap into an LS3.
I also think it would be very cool to have a twin turbo v6 and eat up someone with a v8 jsut for shits and giggles. But....
I feel like if I go with the Twins that I could potentially (Play hard) and blow it. and end up doing a swap anyway. OR should I just go ahead and do a Swap...

Another thing is people have told me that it would be a simple swap. Motor, trans,axles/gears. is that true? or would everything electronic need to be done too?

I really like the way this car looks and to have a v8 model that looks this good would be pretty spendy. Unless I find a Spring edition v8 of course.
I basically settled for this car because I told my self that It would be my Daily. And that i know I wont race so why go for the V8.. lol LIES!!!
People have tried, about 95% have failed miserably.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...6+swap+into+v8

There is just WAY TOO MUCH electronically to swap these things out. Not worth it, better to just trade the car in and get the SS/V8, you'll end up spending the cost of a slightly used 1LE/SS

Better to either twin turbo it and smoke everyone (gotta pay to play amirite?) or just trade the sucker in.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #8
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
TTV6 sounds awesome! I say go for it. Do not drop in a LS3 too many issues with that conversion.
jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:52 PM   #9
CapeCruisin
Daily Driver 24/7 365

Drives: '15 CRT 2SS/RS/1LE
just trade in the v6 for a v8.
2014 RRM Camaro 1LT/RS A6/NPP CAI
Follow Me On Instagram!
CapeCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:57 PM   #10
KR4545

Drives: 2012 2SS
The electronics is what confounds many people who do that without dealing with the in-car network. You will need to get the "MDI2" diagnostic tool, it hooks up to a PC and connects to GM's server called TIS2WEB. This acts a bridge and connects the car directly to GM over the internet so thier servers can reprogram your car with firmware thats compiled for only your car when you select the options and VIN you need.

You will need to change the engine's computer to the V8 version, then reprogram it with the correct firmware and VIN number. You also need to reprogram every body control module (switches, electric motors, sensors, etc.) to work with the V8 computer as the communication is handled slightly different. You can get all the files to do the electronics by going to https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web .

People who do the swap by just plugging in the donor cars engine computer will never be able to do fun things like rolling the windows down, using the radio, or having the airbags go off when its supposed to.

And keep in mind that the engine computer should go into its anti theft mode when you unplug it from the harness of the donor car, you need the MDI and TIS2WEB to re-enable it. Sometimes people mistakenly think they broke an expensive computer when it just needs a reset.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:03 PM   #11
The_Driver
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
If the performance of a stock V8 is all you're after, then you can keep the V6 that you have now. Just do all the mods that Derek has done in the V6 section plus a small 30-50 shot and you're done. He got 316 rwhp which is pretty close to what a stock L99 V8 pushes at the rear wheels.
The_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:09 PM   #12
robotfighter

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2LS
Turbocharge?
robotfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:12 PM   #13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnysMusubi View Post

Another thing is people have told me that it would be a simple swap.
...And how do these people know this, exactly?..

....Have some of those "people" help you with the project and let us know how it turns out...Good luck.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:26 PM   #14
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotfighter View Post
Turbocharge?
2.0T all the way!
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote