Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
tys2010camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Help In Knowing Oil Filters/What To Use

I get asked about filters on a daily basis and I generally cut open dozens on a weekly basis. FIRST- I sell and have access to every filter on the market. My comments here are not to sell you on anything but to educate you on what a filter does and its correct application. I enclosed a Pic of popular filters cut open to help identify what i'm talking about.

A filter is put together with (Media) being the filtering agent placed between two aluminum plates sealed in rubber. (Cheaper filters use cardboard material with glue) There is a spring placed on the top of the filter to assure oil flow should the filter become clogged or completely full and can no longer filter contaminents. When a filter is completely plugged up or full, the spring allows the filter to raise allowing oil to BYPASS the filter. (Cheaper filters use a bowed piece of metal rather than a spring)

Over the years Manufacturers and Oil companies are making products that last much longer going up to 10,000 miles between oil changes. Unfortunately, Most of the oil filters out in the market are designed to max there life span to 3,000 miles. I constantly see people trying to do the right thing by putting a good synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 for their Camaro and using an oil filter designed for 3000 miles. NOT ALL But MOST of your quick lube shops use a $2.00 filter regardless of the oil you buy because people generally compare oil changes by who is the cheapest. less than 1 out of 100 people ask what oil filter is going on their car in these places.

Most of the Filters today are made by WIX and distributed through your very large parts retailers. They go down the exact assembly line and are painted for their particular vendor. You have a few independent makers as well, STP, Fram K&N etc.

My personal preference on the best oil filter is the NAPA Platinum. Cut open it is made of a Fiberglass mesh material and also has a metal meshing. This is a filter specifically designed for Synthetic and high mile applications and in my opinion, the best on the market for trapping contaminents. It is about a $22 filter. When you start getting into the $2, $3 and 4$ dollar filters which you see in STP, Fram, Microguard, Pro Select Etc. these filter are made and designed for the 3000 max conventional oil.
There are many times I see a great special on oil changes advertising oil such as Mobil 1 at a Quick Lube facility. I'll grab a good filter such as NAPA Gold and have my wives BMW oil changed with myself providing the filter.
In short, be aware and sure you are using the correct filter for your application. If your buying an oil designed to last 10,000 miles, your wasting your money and risking your motor with a cheap oil filter. I have seen warranty denials due to using inferior oil filters during changes.

Again, My personal opinion!
Attached Images

tys2010camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
How would you rate the M1C-254 from Mobil1? ($20 at Advance Auto) I've been using these in conjunction with Mobil1 5W-30 full syn. and changing both every 5k. From what I've read it's supposed to be a good filter, but does it last 5k?
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
tys2010camaro

Yes, That's an extended performance oil filter. It has a Fiber Blend material (Media) designed for SYNTHETIC oil. I didn't want to get to much into this but that filter also has an Anti-Back Drain valve which keeps the filter from draining. (Required by OEM) In my opinion. Great filter!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
GotGame55
Haters gonna hate?

Drives: '04 Chevy Dirtymax
WIX
Old 10-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
snymat68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tys2010camaro View Post
Yes, That's an extended performance oil filter. It has a Fiber Blend material (Media) designed for SYNTHETIC oil. I didn't want to get to much into this but that filter also has an Anti-Back Drain valve which keeps the filter from draining. (Required by OEM) In my opinion. Great filter!
Great news! Thanks for the info!
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
Old 10-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Of course if you car is fairly new like most here, and people change oil more frequently than they change their underwear, the oil filter really isn't that beaten up with contaminants.

My neighbor changes his oil every 3 months regardless, part of his 3,000 miles/3 months spiel he learned 55yrs ago when he was 16 and learning to drive. Given now he barely puts 1,000 miles on in 3 months, the oil is still new.

I take his used oil and put it in my 69 Ford F-100 with a 390cu.in. that has leaked oil for the past 8yrs. I should change the filter on that thing already, but the neighbor's oil filter doesn't fit.
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
MustangKiller

Drives: 2013 2ss/rs A6 yellow !!!!!
[QUOTE=tys2010camaro;7066068]Yes, That's an extended performance oil filter. It has a Fiber Blend material (Media) designed for SYNTHETIC oil. I didn't want to get to much into this but that filter also has an Anti-Back Drain valve which keeps the filter from draining. (Required by OEM) In my opinion. Great filter![/QUOTE $22:em oticon1: you are paying way too much!!!! not too be ignorant but holy smokes!!!! i get napa
platinum for 9 plus tax but props too you for cutting them all open sir
MustangKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
snymat68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangKiller View Post
...you are paying way too much!!!!...
Ahh, but I'm not paying $20 for the filter. With the coupon Advance has every couple of months, I get the filter and 6qts of oil for $39+tax. Without the coupon, the same would cost $67+tax. So I'm saving $28. That makes my $20 filter $24 cheaper than some off brand $4 filter. It almost like they're paying me!... almost
Aesthetic Mods

Last edited by snymat68; 10-06-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
tys2010camaro

you are paying way too much!!!! not too be ignorant but holy smokes!!!! i get napa
platinum for 9 plus tax but props too you for cutting them all open sir[/QUOTE]

That's so cool you can buy NAPA Platinum for $9. Wow!! you are awesome dude! The filter prices I mention on here are list pricing. I kinda figured I should have left out the pricing as It would probably entice certain people to share their expertise in consumer value shopping.

I gave list pricing for the same reason I displayed the cut open filters. There is a big difference in filters and their pricing.

I am glad to see you use the Platinum sir.