Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #15
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Plastidip is awesome. My ratchet handles never slip out of my hands even when they are covered in grease.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #16
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Well here's my opinion on it. I painted the 18" V6 wheels I had. Cleaned, sanded, cleaned, primed, painted, clear coated. This process probably took about a full day with drying time.
Looked pretty good. But After about a month of driving started to get chips from rocks. Wasn't happy with it. But kept it like that for about a year. Then I took them all off and did the same thing again. Except I didn't have to prime again. But this process still took a good 12 hours total. Months after that I noticed chipping.
Ended up selling the car. Now have a white ss. I wanted black wheels so I decided to plastidip them. Took about 4 hours to do, including removing from car, cleaning, and spraying. It fries so much quicker than paint and it has held up better. I have 0 issues with mine and if you want a glossy look to them you can just use armor all to shine them up. Plastidip FTW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #17
KTMracing09

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 ABM
If I had a do over I wouldn't do plastidip for the simple fact that when it starts to peel in certain spots there's no touching up as it will look uneven with the previous layers(I tried) so you gotta strip it all off, 1 hr pressure washer time for me to get it ALL off, then reapply, too much time involved, especially having to do this about every 6 months for a DD to keep them looking good. But black wheels definitely do change the look of the car tremendously, I've gotten so many compliments. Once your wheels go black you won't wanna go back, atleast for me lol I'd say try it out to see if black wheels are for you. If you already know you're gonna like black wheels and wanna keep them for a long time, find a more permanent solution from the get go(ie. Powder coat) as for me I'm purchasing a set of 1le rims. Plastidip is a great diy wheel mod for the price it costs to if you want black wheels in a cost effective manner, longevity however is not worth the process for me. Goodluck!
Old 09-27-2014, 07:22 PM   #18
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Works for me. Just take your time an spray it evenly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #19
anotherreject

Drives: no camaro
Go for the glossifier if you do, i think the flat black look is getting played out and looks cheap
anotherreject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:11 AM   #20
CyberG11

Drives: 2011 V6 Cyber Gray
I love plastic dip. it is the best invention ever
Tinted windows, RX catch can, MRT 2 Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Trifecta Tune, Plastic dipped rims, foot well lighting, upgraded DRL, Ghosted side markers, LED interior and trunk lights, Painted calipers, Heads up display, Ported Throttle body, Air scoop, washer bottle relocation kit, Dynamat, amp and subs, Vitesse Throttle controller.

Up next Hex vents, Long tube headers, suspension, brake upgrade.
CyberG11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:04 PM   #21
Nish_z

Drives: 2012 - SS/RS M6
A bunch of co-workers have dipped their wheels (var. cars) and the finished look appears cheap. I dipped my tailight bezels, but decided to just paint it black after a month. I've also plastidpped the side Camaro lettering and for something small it looks fine, but it's slowly starting to peel. I'm getting my SS wheels powdercoated satin black and wouldn't consider dipping them.

On the flip side, it is affordable and reversible...

Last edited by Nish_z; 09-30-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Nish_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #22
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Its not a bad alternative at all and the perk is you can reapply is should it come off or anything.
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #23
omega145

Drives: 2012 2SS
Most people who knock plastidip havent applied it correctly. Dip at a temp above 70 degrees, make sure the can isnt cold, shake well, apply first coat almost transparent, then apply at least 3 heavier coats. It's also nice that you dont have to remove the wheel to apply it. Have dipped the wheels and trim on the last few cars i've owned including my 12 SS.
omega145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:04 PM   #24
Firehawk178
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Victory Red
I will be plastidipping myself for Halloween! Much cheaper than buying a costume.
Firehawk178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:07 PM   #25
Nish_z

Drives: 2012 - SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega145 View Post
Most people who knock plastidip havent applied it correctly. Dip at a temp above 70 degrees, make sure the can isnt cold, shake well, apply first coat almost transparent, then apply at least 3 heavier coats. It's also nice that you dont have to remove the wheel to apply it. Have dipped the wheels and trim on the last few cars i've owned including my 12 SS.
That's a pretty ignorant statement to make. Although your directions & advice are well stated.
Nish_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #26
Chaxce
Under construction...

Drives: Black 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nish_z View Post
That's a pretty ignorant statement to make. Although your directions & advice are well stated.

How is it ignorant? All the complaints people have are that it looks cheap, is textured, doesn't peel right... Which are all problems you have when it is applied incorrectly. Here's a picture of plastidip applied to a whole car by a professional: Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412129792.555943.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  118.2 KB (and yes that is white gloss plastidip)
Old 10-01-2014, 08:28 AM   #27
omega145

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaxce View Post
How is it ignorant? All the complaints people have are that it looks cheap, is textured, doesn't peel right... Which are all problems you have when it is applied incorrectly. Here's a picture of plastidip applied to a whole car by a professional: Attachment 665483 (and yes that is white gloss plastidip)
Thanks. I didnt believe anything in my comment to be ignorant but if I offended you in any way directly then I apologize.
I've done 4 sets of wheels and the trim on 5 cars. Im by no means an expert but found that the first couple of times came out pretty poorly and didnt hold up as well. Now the dip is holding up with taking the extra prep time, having the practice of proper spraying and doing more coats.
omega145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #28
Maniature

Drives: Camaro 2010 1LT
try-it!!

here-is-mine

koi orannge with black on top n black wheels
Attached Images