Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-29-2016, 07:51 PM   #1
Socalpilot

Drives: 2016 2SS Blue Velvet Metallic
Long Trip in New 2SS

I am absolutely sure somewhere on this forum people have asked this but Im new so please be gentle.

Bought the car with 5 miles on it and drove 220 home varying RPMS. I have been a really really good boy with the throttle and not going over 80 MPH (until today at 400 miles on odometer).

Wife and I want to take a 1-2 week road trip on car and am wondering what the consensus is. I plan on doing a fluid change at 500 miles (which I will have prior to going on trip)

Also, should I change Differential and transmission fluid at 500 miles or just engine and oil filter? I plan on going to Mobil 1

Thanks
Socalpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:16 PM   #2
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Read The BOOK , the owners manual there is , follow what's in there and you will have many happy miles ahead of you
I'm one that believe that the guys who designed and built this machines should know what's best for it , go and have a good time
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:22 PM   #3
mjw930

Drives: 2015 Porsche BGTS, 2016 2SS
I agree with following the book except, I always change a new motor at 500 miles. From that point it's follow the book. No need to change transmission or differential for years unless you track or drive a stupid amount of miles per year.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:49 PM   #4
Zodiac
Sarcasm Personified

Drives: 2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
I usually drive it like I would normally, I don't believe in break in on modern cars. Change oil at around 1k miles and enjoy every moment from there on out.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:51 PM   #5
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
I now have 2800 miles on mine and, torture it was, but I stuck with the owner's manual on break-in. My car runs great and is a pure joy to own.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:59 PM   #6
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
I usually drive it like I would normally, I don't believe in break in on modern cars. Change oil at around 1k miles and enjoy every moment from there on out.
You may not believe in it, but the engineers who designed the car have forgotten more about it than you'll ever know.

Follow the manual for the break in period.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:58 PM   #7
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
You may not believe in it, but the engineers who designed the car have forgotten more about it than you'll ever know.

Follow the manual for the break in period.
Engineers AND lawyers are two different people.. Please don't think the engineers wrote that book... Someone here made a VERY good point.. They know when these cars will fail.... You don't think that the team "forcing" you to drive the car slow for 1500 miles will SAVE THEM repairs cost in the future? They are prolonging anything going wrong until you are out of the warranty umbrella. A screw here, a lug nut there, adds up to millions.. All by simply telling u that you should maybe drive it slow for 1500 miles.

Drive the car relaxed for 500 miles then enjoy it. Any problems will show up by then. I babied it for 1500 miles with some HUGe exceptions and my car runs FANTASTIC on the strip
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:05 PM   #8
Socalpilot

Drives: 2016 2SS Blue Velvet Metallic
I have been doing lots of short hops (letting temps get up) then parking for 30-40 minutes to let her cool a bit. Planning on Mobil 1 at 500 miles then just driving normal. I am not taking her to the track until she has at least 5000 miles because I want to use that time to learn her quirks. Just didn't want to put 2500 highway miles on her if people that know better thought it was a bad idea. I appreciate everyones input
Socalpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:26 PM   #9
Ajrothm

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I'd change the oil & filter before the trip, then go for it...Don't worry about the trans or diff fluid.

Drive and enjoy the car, its already as broken in as its gonna get.

2016 C7 Z06, A8
Laguna Blue
10.66@129.15
Ajrothm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:46 PM   #10
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalpilot View Post
I have been doing lots of short hops (letting temps get up) then parking for 30-40 minutes to let her cool a bit. Planning on Mobil 1 at 500 miles then just driving normal. I am not taking her to the track until she has at least 5000 miles because I want to use that time to learn her quirks. Just didn't want to put 2500 highway miles on her if people that know better thought it was a bad idea. I appreciate everyones input
I admire your care for the car.. but you're seriously over doing it beyond measure. your car has been redlined already.... your car is going to work or not work.. Period. 5000 miles BEFORE u even put it on a track? Not sure what there is to learn and not learn. All the cars are the same. Only quirks are interior flaws you need to find with driving. But how your car runs now, will run the same in 5k miles. Given a few components might brake due to bad luck, just enjoy the car. Put a catch can on it for that peace of mind, and drive the car.

PLENTY of people buy brand new cars and from the DEALERS lot, take it on 1k road trips back to their home towns.. All seem to be ok!
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:46 AM   #11
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsumon View Post
Engineers AND lawyers are two different people.. Please don't think the engineers wrote that book... Someone here made a VERY good point.. They know when these cars will fail.... You don't think that the team "forcing" you to drive the car slow for 1500 miles will SAVE THEM repairs cost in the future? They are prolonging anything going wrong until you are out of the warranty umbrella. A screw here, a lug nut there, adds up to millions.. All by simply telling u that you should maybe drive it slow for 1500 miles.

Drive the car relaxed for 500 miles then enjoy it. Any problems will show up by then. I babied it for 1500 miles with some HUGe exceptions and my car runs FANTASTIC on the strip
So the transmission, fuel pump, rear diff, brakes, and cooling system don't need broken in on a new car?

Yes your car runs fantastic on the strip - the break in procedure is there not so you get better numbers at the strip but so you get long life out of the whole car. Its going to be my every day driver and I plan on keeping it for 150,000+ miles.

Don't get me wrong I'm going to let it rip. You just shouldnt do it in the first 1500 miles thats all.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:15 AM   #12
Zodiac
Sarcasm Personified

Drives: 2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
So the transmission, fuel pump, rear diff, brakes, and cooling system don't need broken in on a new car?

Yes your car runs fantastic on the strip - the break in procedure is there not so you get better numbers at the strip but so you get long life out of the whole car. Its going to be my every day driver and I plan on keeping it for 150,000+ miles.

Don't get me wrong I'm going to let it rip. You just shouldnt do it in the first 1500 miles thats all.
And you should change the oil every 3,000 miles too right?
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:44 AM   #13
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
About a month ago, I did a 1800 mile car cruise / road trip with friends (13 cars total), I only replaced my oil filter at 500 miles and the road trip started around 3k miles. You don't need to flush any fluids or anything... The car is good to go from factory.

Technology has advanced quite a bit... the days of doing oil changes every 3k miles are long gone... No need to do tranny/diff fluid changes at 6k-10k miles are long gone too... You can of course do them but it is not needed anymore, it will only hurt your wallet for doing it.

I plan on going with redline m6 fluid very soon, have the fluid just too busy and then end up being tired as hell to get it done lol. I am at 5k miles but I want the fluid because I think the oem fluid isn't smooth enough.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:36 PM   #14
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
And you should change the oil every 3,000 miles too right?
Where does it say that in the manual? Simply follow the maintenance computer as stated in the manual.