Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #99
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Really, 30 years ago and 20 years ago and 140 HP.. they were cheap cause they were cheap. But I like to play a base MR2 Spider was = $24,500 and the corolla with the same engine base was $12,600. Yep about twice the cost to make it mid engine... real cheap.
There’s not a plethora of cheap mid engine cars. Hell, there isn’t even really a plethora of mid engine cars. The facts still stands that mid engine does not mean expensive. The MR2 was still half the price of a base C6.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:07 PM   #100
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
All of the cost in the MR2 over the Corolla wasn't just to place the engine out back, the MR2 was a lower production vehicle with other "more expensive" parts after all it was a sporty vehicle.

This reminds me when the C6 Z06 came out GM actually showed at what volume levels they can sell the vehicle at what prices. It ranged if I remembered correctly from about $59,000 all the way up to $80,000 (starting price based on sales volume). If they thought they could sell more then once more if I remember correctly 8,000 units then they can sell the vehicle for under $60,000. If they could only sell a few thousand of them then the Z06 would have started for $80,000.... you have something similar going on with the MR2.

If they could have sold the same amount of MR2s as they did Corollas then they could have sold the vehicle for roughly the same price. However we all know that this wasn't going to happen, there isn't as big of a market for a two seat sports car as there is for a 4 door economy sedan.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:20 PM   #101
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
There’s not a plethora of cheap mid engine cars. Hell, there isn’t even really a plethora of mid engine cars. The facts still stands that mid engine does not mean expensive. The MR2 was still half the price of a base C6.
LOL I'm aghast. Obviously as my Corolla to MR2 example showed we are talking about a platform and engine package of similar performance front to mid. But you want to compare firecrakers to nukes.. you go...
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:36 PM   #102
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
LOL I'm aghast. Obviously as my Corolla to MR2 example showed we are talking about a platform and engine package of similar performance front to mid. But you want to compare firecrakers to nukes.. you go...
Well a Corvette costs a hell of a lot more than a Cruze, so I guess your theory is busted.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #103
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Well a Corvette costs a hell of a lot more than a Cruze, so I guess your theory is busted.
Have no idea what your are talking about, the thread is in the Z/28 forum and we are talking about LT5 engines. Putting such an engine mid body will be expensive period. It is called context.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:59 AM   #104
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
The pre bankruptcy mid engine Corvette was not a $100,000 plus super car.

Engine location has some interesting challenges for cooling and packaging, but the cost was not going to be prohibitive.

Last numbers I saw, the wonderful Acura NSX has sold under 1,000 copies in two years and it has a base price of $156,000. GM isn't going there. Ultimately, if they want Bowling Green to make 30 to 40,000 cars, which it is set up to do, it won't be with a base price of $100,000. The market for $100,000 plus cars, no matter how good is low. Plus for $150,000 you can also get a 911 GT3.

My biggest gripe will be losing the wonderful GT nature of the C5/6 and 7. Easy to take on vacation with golf clubs. A mid engine car will likely lose that.

Also for history point of view, Pontiac, in order to get the Fiero approved had to sell it to the company as a "commuter car" that wouldn't compete with the Corvette in any way. So it started with the X-car drive train simply moved to the rear and a Chevette front suspension and brakes up front. Yes, YIKES! But by the time they got all that corrected, the cost was too high, insurance costs were too high and the buyers went elsewhere.

So yes, you can get a mid engine car by simply taking a FWD set up and moving it to middle and removing the steering.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #105
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
The pre bankruptcy mid engine Corvette was not a $100,000 plus super car.

Engine location has some interesting challenges for cooling and packaging, but the cost was not going to be prohibitive.

Last numbers I saw, the wonderful Acura NSX has sold under 1,000 copies in two years and it has a base price of $156,000. GM isn't going there. Ultimately, if they want Bowling Green to make 30 to 40,000 cars, which it is set up to do, it won't be with a base price of $100,000. The market for $100,000 plus cars, no matter how good is low. Plus for $150,000 you can also get a 911 GT3.

My biggest gripe will be losing the wonderful GT nature of the C5/6 and 7. Easy to take on vacation with golf clubs. A mid engine car will likely lose that.

Also for history point of view, Pontiac, in order to get the Fiero approved had to sell it to the company as a "commuter car" that wouldn't compete with the Corvette in any way. So it started with the X-car drive train simply moved to the rear and a Chevette front suspension and brakes up front. Yes, YIKES! But by the time they got all that corrected, the cost was too high, insurance costs were too high and the buyers went elsewhere.

So yes, you can get a mid engine car by simply taking a FWD set up and moving it to middle and removing the steering.
I really don't see GM dropping the front engine design completely. It simply doesn't make sense for them change what has been tremendously successful idea for over 6 decades. Will they have a mid-engine model? It certainly appears as so, but I think it will be in addition to the Corvette line up and not the foundation of the line up. For the very reason as stated in bold, regardless of price, the mid engine Corvette would be very low volume model, in regards to sales. Sure, many are excited about it, track enthusiasts are drooling over it, but there is a majority, I believe, that wouldn't buy a car in that format because it would lose that functionality of a daily driver, or cross country cruiser.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:13 PM   #106
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
I really don't see GM dropping the front engine design completely. It simply doesn't make sense for them change what has been tremendously successful idea for over 6 decades. Will they have a mid-engine model? It certainly appears as so, but I think it will be in addition to the Corvette line up and not the foundation of the line up. For the very reason as stated in bold, regardless of price, the mid engine Corvette would be very low volume model, in regards to sales. Sure, many are excited about it, track enthusiasts are drooling over it, but there is a majority, I believe, that wouldn't buy a car in that format because it would lose that functionality of a daily driver, or cross country cruiser.
I hope you are correct, but that wasn't the plan 10 or 11 years ago. Crap seems like forever ago now.

I can, however, see them making a second car not even called Corvette. There was some rumorish talk a bit ago about a car called Zora after the father of the Corvette.

Annnnnnd there is still the very weak rumor this mid engine car is not even a Chevrolet, but a Cadillac halo vehicle.

But again, I hope they see what you and I see. The need for a Corvette that is a DD and can be taken on trips. I've taken Corvettes to Florida multiple times and gone out to the Rocky Mountains. With some luggage and golf clubs. And other than the lack of a reclining seat on the passenger side for a nap, it's an awesome GT.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #107
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I hope you are correct, but that wasn't the plan 10 or 11 years ago. Crap seems like forever ago now.

I can, however, see them making a second car not even called Corvette. There was some rumorish talk a bit ago about a car called Zora after the father of the Corvette.

Annnnnnd there is still the very weak rumor this mid engine car is not even a Chevrolet, but a Cadillac halo vehicle.

But again, I hope they see what you and I see. The need for a Corvette that is a DD and can be taken on trips. I've taken Corvettes to Florida multiple times and gone out to the Rocky Mountains. With some luggage and golf clubs. And other than the lack of a reclining seat on the passenger side for a nap, it's an awesome GT.
Well, in just general observation, they have built two different cars in Bowling Green simultaneously before. Taking into account the considerable expansion of the plant, it would appear that they are geared up to do just that again, on an even bigger scale.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:54 PM   #108
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
All evidence is pointing towards Corvette. The exhaust tips and Headlights are NOT Cadillac-like at all, the engine cover in one pick screams Corvette, the Body is too curvy to be a Caddy, and the person leaking all of the CAD drawings is on a Corvette Forum. There’s absolutely Zero evidence of project ZERV or anything related to it being a Cadillac. The mid-engine car is a Corvette, and it will be the only Corvette.
Attached Images

Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:29 PM   #109
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Wouldn't it be funny if this thing was revealed....and it was a Buick?
Old 01-22-2018, 09:41 PM   #110
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Or a Pontiac.......

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:59 AM   #111
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
I would actually like to see a Buick version. They make some great interiors.
Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:00 AM   #112
kingbambino22

Drives: 2023Porsche Cayenne S
Or a GMC............
kingbambino22 is offline   Reply With Quote