Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #57
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
It's where teeth are ground off the gears, sliders, and synchro rings. The idea apparently being to provide bigger gaps so that the synchros and the sliders would engage at a greater rpm difference. Every other tooth was the way I always heard it, though 2 out of every three seems to have been done as well.

There's more to it than that, and the following link is a pretty good description of it all.

http://atraonline.com/gears/2006/2006-05/2006_05_60.pdf

Norm
Old 03-12-2018, 12:11 PM   #58
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
If you've never driven a triple cone tr6060 rebuilt by a top builder, It's amazing. God I miss that car just for the trans
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:44 PM   #59
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
It's where teeth are ground off the gears, sliders, and synchro rings. The idea apparently being to provide bigger gaps so that the synchros and the sliders would engage at a greater rpm difference. Every other tooth was the way I always heard it, though 2 out of every three seems to have been done as well.

There's more to it than that, and the following link is a pretty good description of it all.

http://atraonline.com/gears/2006/2006-05/2006_05_60.pdf

Norm
Interesting. That's a good read. I have never heard of anyone doing that in any 90's-present manual.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #60
HurstPerformance

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 2016 Camaro SS
Due to the overwhelming feedback we have received about wanting to re-use the OEM shift knob with these kits, we have designed a prototype that was sent to fellow forum member "vtirocz" to provide feedback on. Check out his experience with both the new shifter and the installation here, and feel free to share your thoughts with us.
HurstPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:36 PM   #61
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
I want the ball, but I don’t want to have to go through taking the car apart to get the stock shifter back on when it comes time to sell the car with the oem knob

Last edited by 6spdhyperblue; 03-15-2018 at 03:56 PM.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:16 PM   #62
ChadFarr
Instagram: @SSAVAGEVERT

Drives: 2016 SS M6 Vert
Just got my Hurst Shifter w/ classic ball! Can’t wait to install! You think I could get an adapter as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2.9L Whipple | Compstar Rods, Diamond Pistons & GPI Cam | Mantic Triple Disc | Corsa Performance Exhaust | DSX Aux Pump | LT4 Fuel System | BMR Lowering Springs | ZL1 OEM Conversion | 360 Customs Built | And More!

Click & Follow My Build
ChadFarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:55 PM   #63
HurstPerformance

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
I want the ball, but I don’t want to have to go through taking the car apart to get the stock shifter back on when it comes time to sell the car with the oem knob
We understand that the upgrade may appear daunting to install and remove again. However, we have found that it can be achieved with reasonable comfort on a set of jack stands at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadFarr View Post
Just got my Hurst Shifter w/ classic ball! Can’t wait to install! You think I could get an adapter as well?
Awesome stuff! We think you'll be very happy with the new shifter. In regards to the adapter, we are actually looking into offering it as a separate piece. We will have more details available soon.
HurstPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:55 PM   #64
ChadFarr
Instagram: @SSAVAGEVERT

Drives: 2016 SS M6 Vert

She’s finally in! The shifts are definitely shorter! Lol it’s gonna take some time to getting used to. I definitely will need the adapter for the stock Knob Bc my hands are a bit small and the Classic ball is a nice size. Overall install... a lift is highly recommended, even tho it can be done on jack stands. The quality is A1 though!
2.9L Whipple | Compstar Rods, Diamond Pistons & GPI Cam | Mantic Triple Disc | Corsa Performance Exhaust | DSX Aux Pump | LT4 Fuel System | BMR Lowering Springs | ZL1 OEM Conversion | 360 Customs Built | And More!

Click & Follow My Build
ChadFarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #65
Tech@HurstPerformance

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadFarr View Post

She’s finally in! The shifts are definitely shorter! Lol it’s gonna take some time to getting used to. I definitely will need the adapter for the stock Knob Bc my hands are a bit small and the Classic ball is a nice size. Overall install... a lift is highly recommended, even tho it can be done on jack stands. The quality is A1 though!
That Hurst Shifter looks right at home, we're happy to hear that you like your new upgrade! As for the adapter, we have received a number of requests from Camaro owners like yourself that love the shorter throws of their Hurst Shifter but are hoping to get their hands on the upper adapter to keep the OEM knob. I have forwarded these requests over to the "higher-ups" to let them know of the demand. In most instances, items like an adapter, linkage or hardware can be purchased as a "Service Part" directly from us by calling 707-544-4761. As soon as I can get an update on the adapter and it's availability I will be posting it on all of the threads related to this shifter.

- Jason @ Hurst
Tech@HurstPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote