Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
Cody2399

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS, 2004 Dodge Ram 150
Suggestions... help?

Hi everybody! I just recently bought a 2014 SS and I plan on keeping it stock for the most part because it's gonna be my daily driver. (Until winter then I'll drive my truck) as much as I love the car I have found myself wanting a bit more noise from it. The stock exhaust sounds absolutely amazing, but it just doesn't have the roar I want. I've been watching a lot of videos on YouTube hoping to find something I like, and it seems that a muffler delete is quite the nice sound for the price it costs. Which I've read and heard is pretty cheap compared to anything else. So I'm asking all of you guys out there who have had or have a muffler delete and only a muffler delete. Do you enjoy it? On a scale of 1-10 how loud is it? Has it become something you no longer enjoy?

I truly apologize if there have been hundreds of these threads, I looked before posting and only saw like 2 and read through all of them and didn't get much answers. I'd very much appreciate hearing from people who've done this all stock besides muffler delete, and what you thought of it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-19-2017, 08:01 PM   #2
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Solo Performance axle back with J-pipes

can't recommend it enough, plenty loud at WOT, and no drone at cruise
Old 08-19-2017, 08:28 PM   #3
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
you tube search will give you just what you are looking for
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:08 PM   #4
prod

Drives: HHR
Manual or automatic?
prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:22 PM   #5
Cody2399

Quote:
Originally Posted by prod View Post
Manual or automatic?
Manual
Old 08-20-2017, 07:37 AM   #6
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Ok, let's recap:
You want to keep it stock...But....not really.
The exhaust sounds great....But....you want to alter it?
So, what happens from here?
First you hack off the mufflers......later it will be cat delete.....THEN....you will mysteriously want headers. So you buy headers and put em on. Then, OMG, my car is so loud...and why does it have this awful raspy sound...and whats this drone thing?
Then, you spend more money to quiet it down.
Not being a dick ....this scenario just repeats itself sooooo often. Do yourself a favor.....wait awhile....do your research (meaning; read, listen, learn)....then make an educated decision. Exhaust starts at the front. Wait until you have the money and are ready to make the right choice before you start altering things.
Sorry for the rant....just trying to save you from making the mistake so many others before you have done.
Unless, of course, you have a money tree or leprechaun.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:38 AM   #7
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
I went with muffler delete pipes from MBRP and Magnaflow resonated x-pipe. I went the delete pipes in case I wanted to change my mind on the axle back, so there wouldn't be any welds to cut.

On a 1-10 scale, with stock being 3, it's maybe a 5. It's a nice low rumble, aggressive acceleration, without waking the neighbors or making the cops drop their doughnuts.

*Avenging Orange has a point about future mods. This is another reason to consider a direct fit delete pipe. If I were to add headers and high flow cats, I'd want to add mufflers.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:01 AM   #8
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Yea as others has stated

All I wanted was an axle back that was louder, and that turned into wanting headers. Now that has turned into wanting boost....
Old 08-20-2017, 08:31 AM   #9
1LEJNG

Drives: Red Hot 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_SS View Post
Yea as others has stated

All I wanted was an axle back that was louder, and that turned into wanting headers. Now that has turned into wanting boost....
Once you have boost, you will want more boost.
1LEJNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #10
Cody2399

With all due respect, I had my v6 for 5 years and all I did with it was cosmetic modifications *(and a muffler swap to flow masters). I am a 23 year old college student, who farms with his family, I will be driving it to school every day once that starts up again in September, it is a daily driver not a car I'm going to take to a track and try to race. I have no interest in modding this car just as I had no interest in modding my v6. I appreciate the input, but what bothers me is assuming things. (I worded that wrong and it sounds disrespectful and i apologize) I simply wanted to hear from people who have done a muffler delete and what they thought of it. Again I have no interest in doing anything else to this car.

*edit
Old 08-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #11
Cody2399

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
I went with muffler delete pipes from MBRP and Magnaflow resonated x-pipe. I went the delete pipes in case I wanted to change my mind on the axle back, so there wouldn't be any welds to cut.

On a 1-10 scale, with stock being 3, it's maybe a 5. It's a nice low rumble, aggressive acceleration, without waking the neighbors or making the cops drop their doughnuts.

*Avenging Orange has a point about future mods. This is another reason to consider a direct fit delete pipe. If I were to add headers and high flow cats, I'd want to add mufflers.
Thank you for the input, is it that little of a difference on a 3-5 jump? For some reason I was under the impression that it would be much louder like at least a 7 or an 8. Nothing like you see on YouTube when you type in loudest camaro exhausts and those things just blow the mic off of the cameras used to record them haha.

On my v6 I just put some different mufflers on them. They were flowmasters and it sounded really nice, but with this being a v8 I want to have a much more sound roar, is there any way to get something like this by simply replacing the mufflers like I did with my v6? Or is a 7-8 sound on the scale not possible that way, and am I going to have to do an entire exhaust system?
Old 08-20-2017, 03:51 PM   #12
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_SS View Post
Solo Performance axle back with J-pipes

can't recommend it enough, plenty loud at WOT, and no drone at cruise
+1 for Solo! I have an automatic with long tube headers and AFM still enabled and I still don't get drone. The sound is great!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:58 PM   #13
bd2014rs/ss

Drives: 2015 ss and 1980 z28
Had muffler delete for about a year. Loved it. Pops a lil on decel. I really liked it. Went with all the other stuff for more of a performance reason lol. But muffler delete in my opinion is how they should sound factory.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #14
bd2014rs/ss

Drives: 2015 ss and 1980 z28
Also only cost me 30 bucks for local exhaust shop to cut out and put in a piece of stainless pipe in there place.. those are some extremely ugly and fairly heavy mufflers.. also about a 5 on the sound scale.