Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-21-2016, 10:15 AM   #1
jcaligood

Drives: '18 SS 1LE
Speed Engineering LTH?

http://www.speed-engineering.com/spe...stainless.html
Does anyone actually run these?
They're pretty cheap compared to other brands. Whats the difference? Thickness and quality of material?
jcaligood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #2
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Some people are going to say there junk. Many others who have actually tried them will say there awesome. I'm picking up a set as an Xmas present to myself. Haven't heard a single bad review about them yet (based on people who have tried them).
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #3
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
Wish I could give feedback on them but at the end of the day it's your budget and your car.. I seriously contemplated them when I was in the market and the only reason I shifted to Kooks was the stepped option.. Not that is is any real difference but want I wanted just like you can make your decision. If you feel good buying and putting on your car that is all that matters. Only concern would be if cats come into play you would need to get a real set otherwise for the price it is a no brainer on a budget. There are no differences in design themselves that would mean a price gap of this magnitude but more may come into play with welds, machining, collectors, finish etc.. but again.. minor at the end of the day.. It's bent pipes is all it comes down to.. All about choice. Good luck in whatever you decide.
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:58 AM   #4
KGoddard

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
There's lots of threads on here with the same question. Everyone that has them, loves them. I tried to find problems with them and have found nothing. Only problem I've seen is people having problems with the connection pipes leaking. I recently bought a set and will be getting them later today. I'll report back when I get home. Hopefully will have them installed tonight or tomorrow.

To answer your question, they are 304 stainless just like all the other headers out there, they have a merge spike, welds look good to those who have them(I'll take pictures tonight). They only come with a catless connection pipe if you need to have cats. And they aren't made in America, like the other big companies are.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2016, 12:29 PM   #5
2lane 1LE

Drives: 2013 camaro RS/2SS/1LE
i'm a retired chassis fab guy and i have had lots of fast drag car and have had custom headers built and spent lots of money on them so that being said i got a set of the speed engineering headers for my 2013 camaro and they are built just as good as any custom header i have seen the fit is great and the performance is as well to spend 1k plus on any other header is a total wast of money. buy them install them and love them like everyone else.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #6
jcaligood

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Sounds like these are a decent, affordable option.
KGoddard, please let me know after you install them. Let me know how the fitment and quality is.
Thanks
Old 11-21-2016, 07:04 PM   #7
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
If you're going without cats then these aren't a bad option. If you still want cats I'd go with something like Stainless Power or OBX. As stated above there's plenty of people that rave about these headers. Personally I went with Kooks for known quality, lifetime warranty, made in America, free lifetime warrantied ceramic coating, and support if you run into issues anywhere down the road. If you start adding in extras to "economical headers" you find that the "high dollar headers" aren't so far out of line.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:29 PM   #8
Aaron_W

Drives: 2012 2SS
I just installed them, mine are vibrating on the frame or something at low RPMS, and they're leaking at the connection pipes. I did them in my driveway on jackstands. I'm going to put it on a lift sometime in the near future and figure out where it's rubbing and why they're leaking.

The quality looks great for the price, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to solve the issues I mentioned with some adjusting.
2012 2SS/RS Transmarobird (white trash ferrari) 6spd / Silver / Airraid Intake / GMPP Axleback / H&R Lowering Springs / Hurst Short Shifter / GM Blade Dovetail / Heritage Grille / ZR1 Front Splitter / Speed Engineering Longtubes / Tuned by Dynosteve
2004 Corolla LE / 5 spd / 35mpg / Burnouts
Aaron_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:51 PM   #9
KGoddard

I wasn't thrilled with how they showed up to the house, but as everyone has said, welds look great, and the quality is definitely there. Wasn't able to finish the install tonight but I'll keep everyone posted on how that goes.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:54 PM   #10
KGoddard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_W View Post
I just installed them, mine are vibrating on the frame or something at low RPMS, and they're leaking at the connection pipes. I did them in my driveway on jackstands. I'm going to put it on a lift sometime in the near future and figure out where it's rubbing and why they're leaking.

The quality looks great for the price, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to solve the issues I mentioned with some adjusting.
Not sure about your vibration, but I plan on putting permatex exhaust sealant on the connection pipes to ensure no leaks since I've seen this is the main issue with them. I read on a different thread that cured a lot of leaks for people. Worth a shot for just a couple bucks.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:04 PM   #11
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Also put them on my Z in the Spring this year and have tracked them, drag raced and AutoX as well as my daily driver. Zero complaints .

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:00 AM   #12
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGoddard View Post
I wasn't thrilled with how they showed up to the house, but as everyone has said, welds look great, and the quality is definitely there. Wasn't able to finish the install tonight but I'll keep everyone posted on how that goes.

This is probably the best post about these headers I've seen on this site. Not the shipping box, but an up close and personal picture of the headers themselves at different locations. Thanks for the post!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:45 AM   #13
dentnshell

Drives: Black 2014 2SS
I say the cheapies slow you down! BUT ONLY because there is more money in your wallet adding weight to the car!

I would purchas ARH or Kooks only if I were going to have them coated and was concerned about appearance. I would hate to spend more money on coating than I did on the headers!

I went middle of the road with Stainless Power. These cars have to be one of the easiest cars in the world to install headers on. It is not much of a "gamble" to try out cheapies. If the install was much, much more involved I might subscribe to the do it right / do it once idea. On this car, I would say as long as you us GM Gaskets (cheap on amazon) and not the gaskets that often come with headers (even the expensive ones) you will be fine.
Mods: LSA Conversion 2.5" Upper Pulley, 65# injectors, GPI SS1 Cam, SP Long Tubes, ADM Race Scoop & CAI, NPP exhaust (DIY control), BMR 1" lowering springs, ZL1 Rear Differential / Axles, CF Side Strip / Hood Spear, Tint - Windows / Tails / Sidemarkers, Splash Guards, ADM Boost Gauge, ABL Dashkit, '68 Script Badges, ACS T4 Splitter, ZL1 Rockers from Gary's, Z28 Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent, Summer - MRR FS01 Satin Black (10" Front 11" Rear) Winter, pictured-Drag DR 64's Satin Black (9" Front-10" Rear.)
dentnshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:04 AM   #14
jcaligood

Thanks everyone. Kgoddard, keep me updated on the install!
The rattle and exhaust leak dont sound too good to me :/
Only one person have that issue?