Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-24-2016, 02:43 PM   #1
jos3ywales

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro Black
little story about me

if not wanted on here I understand mods can delete. After a early post joking about being broke having a SS a Gun Fetish and a Duramax for mods on all of em. Someone mentioned Drinknig and Driving making ya broke. I know it was ment all in fun and we all do stuff when we are young we regret. Well I went above and beyond. I have a Story on Facebook if you have Facebook the link is pasted below. But I completely wrecked my life and alot of other things. D&D is no joke I found out the hard way fast cars and drinking dont mix. The story I wrote is to maybe help some kid not do what I did. I speak to schools and sorts groups and churches and let kids, Teenagers, and Adults who maybe need to see first hand what can happen. I still love Speed and fast cars but I laid the alcohol and drugs down but paid the ultimate price before I did. If by chance u can share this story with a young one u know that might be headed in the same direction as I was. Some of it is kinda hard to read it wasnt pretty but necessary to get the point across to young one who like me think it can't happen to them. Anyway not pushing anything on anyone but if ya want to take a minute to read it and u have facebook here is the link. I have a couple of stories newspapers done on it and me to on my page if you want to look them up. Also has some pics of the Car I was in when I was paralyzed.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Old 02-24-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Incredible story. Thanks for sharing. I am going to have my son read this tonight.

Sorry you had to go through this. I feel for you. Goes to show you the harm that can be done when alcohol and driving mix together...especially when power/speed are present.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:00 PM   #3
flyinglow57

Drives: rumble bee,2SS 6sp
I lost my fab password years ago and just don't go on anymore so I'm unable to read the story...,

But I have been on the receiving end of a drunk driving accident, Drunk driver laid down 112' of skid marks and still hit my tow truck at over 60 mph in a 35 zone. That totally changes how you feel about boozing and cruising.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:06 PM   #4
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Thanks for sharing. 3 years ago on March 20th, I almost lost my wife because of a drunk driver. Approximately 6:00 pm on a Wednesday afternoon a lady who an hour later when blood work was done was at a .157 BAC hit my wife spinning her the opposite direction that she was traveling. Drinking and driving is NOT cool. I'm lucky to still have my wife and I thank God every day for her because you never know when someone you love will be taken from you.
Attached Images

'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:29 PM   #5
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Curtis, thank- you for sharing. This is a powerful message that WILL be used for something positive. As CC- Rider mentioned, I will also share this with my own teenagers, and it just may be what saves a life sometime.

My own "first experience" came just a few days after yours... December of 1988 (if I understand from your FB posting). Returning from a night of partying and drinking with a large group of friends, we were in separate cars... but every one of us was drunk as hell. The carload of friends behind me tried to pass another car... and drove head- on into a motor home. Killed two of my friends and the innocent driver of the motor home. One friend survived... messed up for life, though, both physically and mentally.

I'm so terribly sorry for what happened to you, but I really, REALLY appreciate your willingness to share, and your truly noble quest to use your experience to teach and guide other people.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:34 PM   #6
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
They are pushing to reduce the legal limit to .05 BAC
Old 02-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #7
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
Stupid laws. The limit does nothing to discourage drunk driving. People that do it don't care about the law or the limit.
It's raising revenue plain and simple.

We drink, and we love to drive, but never together.

Just like hunting, SCUBA diving, and any number of other activities that when mixed with alcohol will eventually kill you or someone else.

I don't need a law to tell me that.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:58 PM   #8
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post

We drink, and we love to drive, but never together.
Amen to that.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:38 PM   #9
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Ex girl friend was hit head on by a drunk that didn't even have a license or insurance, SOB walked away with out a scratch, she spent a year in a bodycast and had to relearn how to walk again. Prick got away Clean!!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:44 PM   #10
ritchet

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS Red Rock
The sad thing is that people often have to make the mistake themselves to learn the lesson. I have always been a strong opponent of drinking and driving. 30 some years ago I was at a party at my friends place where I had planned to stay over night. Well something came up and I was needed at home. I had a couple drinks by this time. I actually gave myself a field sobriety test (touching my nose etc..) I thought I was OK. Just as fate would have it , I was pulled over about 5 minutes later, the cop had me step out of the car and he administered tests. he said your fine, just slow down. Lesson learned. The only time I drove after drinking I was pulled over. Fortunately I was not drunk.
ritchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:36 PM   #11
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Curtis, thank you for sharing your message and teaching others so they may have a better life and not suffer like you have. I shared your page on Facebook where I have several young friends (nieces, nephews, neighbor's kid) that are soon to be driving - and need to hear it. You are an amazing person for using your tragic experience to help people when others would have given up. And you are especially awesome for helping our young people. Thank you!!
Old 02-24-2016, 11:37 PM   #12
Gonzo SS

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS LS3/M6
Thanks for sharing your story. You are a survivor. It's great that you have taken a tragic event and used it to try and help others.

I've been clean and sober for 23 years after my third DUI. Fortunately there were no accidents.
Gonzo SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:03 AM   #13
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Roadside execution should be legal for those caught D&D.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:26 AM   #14
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo SS View Post
Thanks for sharing your story. You are a survivor. It's great that you have taken a tragic event and used it to try and help others.

I've been clean and sober for 23 years after my third DUI. Fortunately there were no accidents.
Congrats, that is a lifetime achievement to be very proud of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
Where I live it's 0.03 = Drunk and we have the harshest penalties of anywhere.

Curtis,
As mentioned thanks for sharing and as you said if it saves one single person from going through a lifetime of misery because of a mistake then you have passed it along from your experiences in a positive way. It seems everyone has been touched in life by DUI and/or death in one form or another. Just wish people would get the message, its not a hard one to grasp. If you drink, DON'T drive. Simple.

Anyone reading this story can share it on FB and maybe save a life. Easy thing to do for 10seconds of work on our part.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote